Meacham Flute restored by Olwell on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Meacham Flute restored by Olwell on Ebay

Post by Jon C. »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1
This looks like it would be a good flute for someone, I don't know what reserve he has on it but I imagine it will go for around $650-700. I would buy it, but but I am trying to buy only one flute a week! :oops:
I played a Meacham up here in Washington, it was a lot like my Firth, Hall and Pond, very nice flutes.
Plus Olwell works his magic on it...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I normally don't understand the appeal of an antique flute in comparison to a new one made to my specifications, but in this case...it a very handsome looking instrument. I do wish that there were a sound clip or two on there.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cofaidh wrote:I normally don't understand the appeal of an antique flute in comparison to a new one made to my specifications, but in this case...it a very handsome looking instrument. I do wish that there were a sound clip or two on there.
When I won the D'Almaine from Olwell, they were happy to play the flute over the phone, to let me hear how it sounded.
But of course if itis the player instead of the flute, then who can say how it will sound in your hands? :lol:
I am sure whoever gets this flute it will be a keeper for them. Nothing like aged Cocuswood... :party:
(Maybe I am talking myself into this flute?) Must resist... :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

On SSgt pay it's easy to resist.

But yes, it is a very attractive looking instrument. My main concern with an antique is my familiarity with Murphy's Law. If it works perfectly, no leaks, all keys working flawlessly, I'll break it somehow. Or my sister will accidentally drop it from the third floor exterior stairway as we are moving...not like something like that's ever happened before...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Cofaidh wrote:On SSgt pay it's easy to resist.

But yes, it is a very attractive looking instrument. My main concern with an antique is my familiarity with Murphy's Law. If it works perfectly, no leaks, all keys working flawlessly, I'll break it somehow. Or my sister will accidentally drop it from the third floor exterior stairway as we are moving...not like something like that's ever happened before...
Ouch!
Well you can't go through life not getting something for fear of losing that what you are getting...You can, but it isn't very fun! These flutes are pretty bulletproof, as long as they are not overly abused. When you think what they have been through a lot in 150 years! :boggle:
Michael Flatley

Jon
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

looks like a sweet little number coming out of pat's workshop... you know it's going to be restored and play as described.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well, I was seriously considering bidding on it, but I see it's up to $510, reserve not met, and already outside what I can afford in one payment... if I want to eat between now and next pay period.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Very nice. So it's American. You mentioned it
may be a bit like Firth, Hall and Pond flutes.
So is it something like Grey L's flute?
Or the Grey Larsen Preferred?
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

jim stone wrote:Very nice. So it's American. You mentioned it
may be a bit like Firth, Hall and Pond flutes.
So is it something like Grey L's flute?
Or the Grey Larsen Preferred?
Hi,
Meacham worked with Firth and Pond for a while, but not sure of the timetable. I don't know about this flute but the other Meacham Flute that I compared with my Firth, Hall and Pond, the flutes were very similar. I am sure after Olwell got done with it, it is a very nice player.
Michael Flatley

Jon
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Well, it's got 2 days to go and already it's up to $725....I'm betting that since it was made in the 1800s, the maker may be deceased, which accounts for the higher price.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Pat says it's been newly corked. Did flutes of this time
ever have corked tenons?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

jim stone wrote:Pat says it's been newly corked. Did flutes of this time
ever have corked tenons?
Yes they did. But please don't take my word for it. Try Google with "Monzani patent of 1812"
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, very interesting.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Lovely. And oh, how I like that sexy chimney depth.

(Really!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:I'm betting that since it was made in the 1800s, the maker may be deceased, which accounts for the higher price.
:lol:

Yeah, too bad some guy named Pat Olwell went and monkeyed with it. I'm sure it lost some of it's antique value. :wink: