The one and only

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The one and only

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hey Y'all! I have a great idea!

Based on these past couple of weeks of spirited debate, as well as thinly veiled p***ing contests, here's a question I have.....

For those of you for whom flute is primary weapon of choice,

How many here have only one flute, and if so, what is it?

I for example, am a loser.

I have and play more than one, although I do play a couple of them pretty much exclusively. A Hammy and a Murray.

I guess, by definition, my tone and intonation probably suck.

But I'm workin' on it, and I'm still happy with myself! :party:

So what say you, fellow fluters? One and one alone, and it is.......

M

[/b]
rama
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

mary,

not quite correct.

you are not just a loser.

...you are a loser no doubt....

.... and a cheater too!

does mr. bronson know about this?
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeK !!!

Don't tell....

I'm incorrigible :oops:

Right now, I'm in a Colin and a Bono kind of warp
I want to be faithful, but I....just....CAN'T!!!! aaaauuuurrrgghhhh!

M

:party:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm not sure I completely follow what happened in the prior two posts, but I do have just one flute...and M&E R&R 6 key. I still suck, but I do it on only one flute.

Eric
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

( Hush now, I'm fond of rama, and we know what we mean) 8)

M
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: The one and only

Post by Loren »

(Text deleted, because a thread containing pertinent, related material was deleted by the mods.)

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I use an MERR. It's my only flute. I am also in college and don't really have the option of getting any more.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeK !!!

Don't tell....

I'm incorrigible :oops:

Right now, I'm in a Colin and a Bono kind of warp
I want to be faithful, but I....just....CAN'T!!!! aaaauuuurrrgghhhh!

M

:party:
Did Mary buy a original Rudall and Rose???? Did you Mary???? You can tell us, we won't tell anyone... :puppyeyes:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have three myself. I mainly play a Burns All Wood Boxwood Pratten, I try to play my Copley Silver lined Eb nearly as much, and my Sweetheart is used for travel. Whistles are a different story.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A flute from Jon C.
I still need to learn to play better.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I only play my Cochran delrin Rudall but I do have a bamboo Olwell that is frozen in carbon, waiting for Jabba the Hut to pay the bounty.

Before I got the Cochran I only played my blackwood Ward which was going to be the the flute but keeping a new, blackwood flute in playing condition on top of competing solo and band with my GHB as well as taking up the border pipes was too much. After trying a couple of Jon's delrin flutes I was impressed and decided one of those should be the flute and sold the Ward.

I probably talk too much on this forum. If you want to know if my playing backs up my words, I have some clips up on Tony's site. I'm not All-Ireland material but I'm not all that awful either. I need to get a clip up on the Cochran.

Cheers,
Aaron
Last edited by AaronMalcomb on Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

For nearly a year I had two, but one was unplayable firewood sitting on the shelf. It's restored now and is quite nice (baroque style 1-key, german), but probably will still stay on the shelf most of the time. I play an old german 8-key with a new headjoint by Jon C, and I have had enough moments on it where it sounded JUST right that I don't see the reason to switch or "upgrade" or whatever. It has its own voice and I am happy with it.
William Bajzek
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

^^^

Jon was nice enough to agree to make me his Pratten... I also have that old flute that might need a new head... and well he is just down the street so...

We'll see which one becomes the one.

:) :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
eilam

Post by eilam »

Mary ~ like you, i have more flutes then i'm willing to declare, but i have the same, one tone in my head for years now............... Grey Larsen's tight, focused tone.
i'll admit that there are other flute players that excite me more, but tone wise............i like Grey.
i have an R&R #4936 and a Noy that make it easy for me to play the tone that i like, but a Murray and Hammy that i love playing (i really love the hammy for the tone and the Murray for being a piece of art (like my Monzani (but thats totally hush hush, please don't tell ;)))
and i mostly play a Delrin M&E or Seery (i love them both, for different reasons) during the day, and Olwell Cocus Nicholson to sessions.
OK - now i'm really out of the closet (pretty much ;))
e.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I have just one right now. A Dixon keyless.

I used to have a M&E polymer I was positively thrilled with a few years ago that met with an accident involving exterior staircases, heavy furniture, and moving. I'll...spare you the gory details.

I will be ordering a key'd M&E soon though; I play during mass and I can't get the liturgist to select only songs in D and G major.

(Five flats! (that's D-flat major right?)I can't! I just cant!!)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."