In the "Most Influencial" Category

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

We had this discussion 25 years ago in Dublin.

Paddy Moloney et al are kind of a Music 101 for everyone outside of Ireland. Many have picked up an interest in Irish pipes and the music from their concerts. Then, stage two is discovering small concert/bar concert folks and people like Liam O'Flynn and Paddy Keenan emerge often on people's lists of people that provide inspiration.

It is always been a wish to hear Paddy Moloney do much more on his own (playing his full set) but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. I had a chance to hear and watch him in a session at Willie Week 1981 - just great, great chanter playing - effortless, nice and tight.

I always wish that Liam O'Flynn was doing more. So much of his time goes to guesting on LPs - he does two guest appearances per year going back some 25 years. Liam is always breaking new ground with initiatives like the Brendan Voyage (I never can figure out why that hardly caused a ripple in the piping scene) and his appearances with Seamus Heaney. O'Flynn and Keenan are extremely generous with workshop time over the years, too. It is not too often that you can get access to people at the top like that. O'Flynn gives us so much piping insight through his constant acknowlegment of his debt to Leo Rowsome, Willie Clancy, and Seamus Ennis. No one else has that connection to the Trinity of Irish Piping.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

For me, it has been Pat Mitchell's recordings.
ChaplainBlake
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

Pat D'Arcy...
Back when I heard a captivating instrument on a BBC radio broadcast and was still calling it the Ooleann pipes, I stumbled across this little website called uilleannobsession.com. As far as I am concerned, that single effort introduced me to all of the piping greats, great pipemakers, and the culture that follows them.

Props to our man!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sean O'Riada (sp?), without him, it's likely there wouldn't be The Chieftains (or many other trad orginizations/groups/awareness), as Paddy would've gone off to do something else like busk, or play in pubs, or join the Beatles.

Whoooops, he's dead... but I feel his influence isn't.

As far as living influences, I'd have to say that Pat Sky and Jerry O'Sullivan have been very influential.

Pat, for his momentous efforts in seeking out and recording some of the greatest pipers back in the day, and their pipe music... and digging up some ancient piping tunes... ie: O'Sullivan meets O'Farrell's books, among his many other Uilleann Piping publications.

Jerry O'Sullivan for researching and bringing into the light, piping music that, some of which, hasn't been heard in centuries... ie: O'Sullivan meets O'Farrell. He has also restarted my belief that pipers can truly be good natured, and are able to laugh heartily... just offer him a boogerberry (blueberry) and say "squeak squeak", and you'll see what I mean. :lol:

For me personally, in my reed making endeavors, pipe makers David Quinn, David Boisvert, Davy Stephenson and Chris Bayley have been very influential and generous with their time and knowledge. Alan burton has been the biggest influence in providing me with his shamanistic reed vision into the nature of the beast/heart of the instrument. Chiff and Fipple members Tony, PJ, James Van Fleet, among a few others, who have donated their spent reeds for me to study.

Wally Charm, for keeping the publication "The Piper's Review" alive and well and providing pipers world wide with the latest (or oldest) info pertaining to this crazy instrument of ours.

And every member of C&F, for keeping me on my toes and in the "know" regarding Uilleann Piping.

And finally, Pat D'Arcy and his website: Uilleann Obssession, the ultimate in Uilleann Piping resources!
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

In the "Most Influencial" Category

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Craig Fischer. He is one of (if not the) leading flat-chanter-researchers. His book is said to be "procrastinated", but I think there is something to come and it is awaited for.

Now that Geoff Wooff and Alain Froment have moved to France (lucky French pipers) more and more pipers from Ireland mention Bill Haneman.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

David Power. I like his sensibilities. Cool guy, nice to chat with and has his head about him in the way he approaches music. Unf*(&ingbelievable fingers too. (How dare no one mention him yet!)
Sean Nua's pipers. The names escape me, but they combine mighty piping with great melodic appeal.
Gotta say Paddy Moloney for the gift he shared with the globe.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
giles b

Post by giles b »

My 2c.

As far as Australia goes in relation to the rest of the world Geoff Wooff rates a mention, began making flat sets here, there is a big legacy here due to the amount of flat sets around that has had some influence on style in some areas.

Also Craig Fischer. From the 70's on these two guys were in contact and had an perhaps obsessive interest in understanding, playing and making uilleann pipes and both have continued to persue these things.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

giles b wrote:My 2c.

As far as Australia goes in relation to the rest of the world Geoff Wooff rates a mention, began making flat sets here, there is a big legacy here due to the amount of flat sets around that has had some influence on style in some areas.

Also Craig Fischer. From the 70's on these two guys were in contact and had an perhaps obsessive interest in understanding, playing and making uilleann pipes and both have continued to persue these things.
Agreed. This dynamic duo were pioneers in reconstituting the knowledge base underlying pipe-making.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

Neil Mulligan.
liraman

most influentual

Post by liraman »

Heather Clarke?
totokots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

I think Donal Lunny should be acknowledged as having played a huge role in popularising the uilleann pipes since the early 70's.

His driving bazouki rhythm and tasteful accompanyment brought trad music to a huge new audience through some of the most influential trad supergroups ever: Planxty, the Bothy Band and Moving Hearts, in which he was a founding member. All of these groups featured the uilleann pipes at centre stage.

The same is true of his later band Coolfin, and his 1986 "O'Riada Retrospective" album recorded live in the National Concert Hall, featuring blistering piping by Sean Og Potts.

The exciting new way in which the music was arranged (largely by Lunny) and presented by these groups opened the door to ITM for many people who might otherwise have reacted negatively to hearing a purer form of the music. In other words, the leap to acquiring a taste for the pure drop was softened by Lunny's placement of musical stepping stones in the stream.
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

did anyone mention Joe Mckenna yet??
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: most influentual

Post by MarcusR »

liraman wrote:Heather Clarke?
Good point, as NA2UP seem to be one of the most common tutors around. Quite a few pipers might be more influenced by her playing than they want to admit or realize.

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

As well, it must be acknowledged that "NA2UP" is the most futuristic and innovative title for a woodwind tutor....maybe ever. I'm pretty sure it was a time saving maneuver, but did you mean to write "quite a few" and not "quite few"?

One for the makers

Post by Guest »

Lets not forget the pipe makers

A combination of Hunter, Browne and Potts, has got to be the best of them all since the early seventies right up until today, his instruments are played in over seventy band throughout the world, and as many if not more individuals playing his pipes in some other shape or form.

A man who was dedicated to producing some of the finest instruments on the planet today, his willingness to share everything he knows to others, so as to keep the uilleann fires burning, one Peter Seaborne Hunter.