Bloody McAfee...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'd try uninstalling Zone Alarm, seeing if that makes McAfee happier, and then reinstalling ZA.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

avanutria wrote:I'd try uninstalling Zone Alarm, seeing if that makes McAfee happier, and then reinstalling ZA.
Have done this and McAfee appears to be working (I didn't install their firewall). Now I can't reinstall ZoneAlarm! :swear: Maybe I'll cave in and use the McAfee firewall, which is included in my subscription anyway. Unless someone has a better idea!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

You might want to try the Sygate Personal edition. I have been using it for several years without problem. I also use AVG, Avast, Spybot, AdAware and MSASCui. All of these are free.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
fearfaoin

Re: Bloody McAfee...

Post by fearfaoin »

SteveShaw wrote:I've tried to delete everything McAfee-related (impossible, actually)...
How did you try to remove it? I just wiped it from my new laptop no problem.
I went into the Control Panel, and clicked "Add or Remove Programs". In the
list of programs that came up was one called McAfee Uninstall Wizard. I
selected this and clicked "Remove", and now it's gone! AVG is installing right
now.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

You'd think in this day and age that when you install an updated version of something you've been using already that the update would remove or overwrite redundant stuff. Not that I'd know (and why should I? I pay out the dosh, they sort me out hassle-free - hah! :swear: ).
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:
avanutria wrote:I'd try uninstalling Zone Alarm, seeing if that makes McAfee happier, and then reinstalling ZA.
Have done this and McAfee appears to be working (I didn't install their firewall). Now I can't reinstall ZoneAlarm! :swear: Maybe I'll cave in and use the McAfee firewall, which is included in my subscription anyway. Unless someone has a better idea!

Just use the McAfee firewall. They're made to work together.

Oh, also remember that the firewall that comes with Windows or whatever it is has been known to fight with other programs. You may have to access it . . . somewhere . . . and turn bits of it off or something in order to get everything working to your satisfaction.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Bloody Microsoft.

... We need more Unix compatible games...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Cofaidh wrote:We need more Unix compatible games...
I've been hearing whining like this about Unix for 20 years. It was the Unix weenies who made Unix so obscure for others that Microsoft just walked in and took over. *nix will never recover the lead they blew.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Windows: n A 32 bit graphical shell to a 16 bit extension to an 8 bit operating system that was originally coded for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

All kidding aside, I use Windows at home and Unix at work. Guess which gives me fewer headaches?

... The one at home. It's supposed to be the other way around.
It was the Unix weenies who made Unix so obscure for others that Microsoft just walked in and took over.
And you'll have to explain this one to me. I'm not insulted by being called a weenie though... I've been called much worse.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."