Resale Hygiene!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Resale Hygiene!

Post by JessieK »

My goodness. I got a METAL AND PLASTIC 20-or-so-year-old whistle on eBay. I kid you not - when it arrrived, it had 20 years of crud, muck, DNA and grime filling its interior. Some of the finger holes were playing with different diameters than intended, as they were filled with crud. The windway was visibly clotted and the entire tube looked full of yuck. I had to soak it and SERIOUSLY clean it before putting it in my mouth. I cannot believe that someone would sell a whistle in that condition. It takes all kinds, I suppose.
Last edited by JessieK on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Wow. I couldn't handle that either. I'm not a germophobe or anything but that sounds pretty nasty. I've bought a few second hand whistles in my time and I always sterilize the heck out of them regardless of their appearance. Luckily I haven't had a whistle come to me yet that had things growing on it :)
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Resale Hygeine!

Post by crookedtune »

JessieK wrote: I had to soak it and SERIOUSLY clean it before putting it in my mouth.

No, no, don't break the chain!!! You've sanitized the tradition!! :o :o :o
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Ish! That's really sort of disgusting. Maybe if a person had never played the whistle she might not realize where all that stuff comes from, but I would be seriously grossed out. Sadly, I have no trouble imagining that someone would sell a whistle in that condition.

I read a quotation once that I think was attributed to Winston Churchill but I've not been able to confirm that he said it. Anyway, it goes:

"It doesn't take all kinds, there are all kinds."

I thought that was a pretty good summation of the general predicament.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

You may have killed the germs but also may have killed the value of a potentially historic piece (I watch Antiques Roadshow)...that whistle may have had old sod from the Ould Sod in there or even original snuff (that could explain the DNA).

Actually, eBAY has guidelines for laundering garments, etc but apparently none for tin whistles.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Jim McGuire wrote:You may have killed the germs but also may have killed the value of a potentially historic piece
If he bought to play with, it did what any player would have done…
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I haven't written to the seller. And I haven't left feedback. I couldn't leave positive feedback without mentioning the crud, but that would be pretty negative.

It was the dirtiest whistle I had ever seen.
~JessieD
ketida

Post by ketida »

So, how did you clean it? What'd you soak it in? Are there some cleaning fluids that could be harmful?

And to everyone...if you are in a music store and allowed to try out whistles, would you bring along something to at least wipe off the mouthpiece with before and after? What would you use?
slowair

Post by slowair »

The only individual we can demand live by the standards we impose is ourself. We can only be hopeful of the rest.

Perhaps think of it as a restoration project or an archeological find.

At least you have a new whistle. There may just be a treasure waiting to be discovered.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I soaked it in hot water with liquid soap. I cleaned it with paper towels and swabs. I soaked it over and over, and I cleaned it over and over. The "nickel silver," which is actually a white brass, did get some surface tarnish from the soaking. I was able to wipe that off easily with an impregnated polishing cloth.

But eeeeew!
~JessieD
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Resale Hygiene

Post by springrobin »

Jessie- Just think of it as preparation for what you'll find in your kids' rooms in a few years!
walrii

Post by walrii »

Ammonia cleaners and plain old bleach (Clorox here in the States) are both excellent germ, mold and fungus killers. I doubt either of them would hurt the metal or the plastic on whistle but you can dilute them and still have a very effective disenfectant. Rinse off the whistle before you play it though you needn't get anal about it. When I was overseas in the 70's, we regularly added a tablespoon of Clorox to a gallon of drinking water to kill the bugs. The worse that happened to me was I grew up to play the whistle.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
bwrynn

Post by bwrynn »

Sanitizing Wooden whistles from eBay -- any thoughts on this? I wouldn't want to boil my second hand Abell or soak a Fred Rose in Clorox. Any good ideas?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

how about a before and after picture?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

bwrynn wrote:Sanitizing Wooden whistles from eBay -- any thoughts on this? I wouldn't want to boil my second hand Abell or soak a Fred Rose in Clorox. Any good ideas?
Anti-bacterial dishsoap and water, used on the mouthpiece and windway should be fine. The same solution on a damp rag should be no problem for the vast majority of wooden whistle bodies.

Loren