I Can't Get This Tune Out of My Head

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I Can't Get This Tune Out of My Head

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Did you every get stuck with a tune that plays over and over, day and night? It isn't "I've Got It Bad, and That Ain't Good", but it might as well be. I live in Indiana, so naturally the tune is "Hoosier Rag", a tune which I had never heard before hearing it on a CD that I checked from the library. Now the tune seems to have taken up residence in my head. Here it is: Hoosier Rag

Am I the only one who has this problem, or is it common?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think we discussed this subject previously and pretty thoroughly. I don't know why this particular tune should affect you this way, as it doesn't seem particularly memorable to me, but that's just me. Perhaps you have a predeliction for ragtime (?).

<A HREF="http://chiffboard.mati.ca//viewtopic.ph ... 3">Here</A>

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

djm wrote: Perhaps you have a predeliction for ragtime (?).

djm
When I hear all of those notes coming in on the off-beat, I want to clap my hands in joy.
lenf

Post by lenf »

During a year spent in Terre Haute (French phrase meaning "out in the middle of nowhere..."), I rented a beautiful old upright and went on a ragtime tear, even finding an original copy of this rag and several books that contained others by Niebergall and other women composers of the area.

If you think this one is hard to shake, stay away from Frog Legs Rag!
(For me, it's much more the second half of Joplin's Solace.)
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I've got Aretha Franklin singing Don't Play That Song going through my head tonight. Spent too much time at YouTube last night apparently.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

djm wrote:I think we discussed this subject previously and pretty thoroughly.
djm
Thanks, djm, for the link to the previous posts on the same topic. As time goes by on the C & F forums, there is bound to be a lot of repetition. But that is not necessarily problematic. Perhaps more than anyone else, Mozart showed that repetition can be good. Each time a similar topic is revived, new ideas will emerge.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I've been playing Sally Garden (reel) and Reconciliation reel in my head for days. And I can't even play Reconciliation on the whistle yet.

Wait, there they go again.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
djm

Post by djm »

DougTipple wrote:Each time a similar topic is revived, new ideas will emerge.
Sorry, Doug, I didn't mean to imply we can't discuss a topic again, only that there was a lot of ground covered the last time. Do please continue with ragtime. At least its better than Barry Manhole's jingle for Band-Aids:

I am stuck on Band-Aids
Cuz Band-Aids stuck on me.
I am stuck on Band-Aids
Cuz they hold on tight in the bathtub
And they cling in soapy suds.
I am stuck on Band-Aids

I believe its his only song that actually made him any money, but that's understandable. :wink:

djm
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Click this link to get those tunes out of your head. It will work, I guarantee. Turn your sound up, and for maximum effectiveness, close your eyes.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

gonzo914 wrote:Click this link to get those tunes out of your head. It will work, I guarantee. Turn your sound up, and for maximum effectiveness, close your eyes.
Nope, Now I just have a hybrid of it and the oompa loompa song in my head.

As a side note, I wonder if deaf people have a similar phenomena? Many things that are in the speech center of the cross over to ASL.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
djm

Post by djm »

From what I've read, musicians are more susceptible. That counts me out. :D

djm
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Okay, now it's the song from Rescue Me--'C'mon, c'mon' by the Von Bondies.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
When I hear all of those notes coming in on the off-beat, I want to clap my hands in joy.
"off-beat" as in _up beat_?

Doug, did ever go to Square Dances as a child?
I've been told (by a teacher who grew up in Ind. btw) that the way they used to play the SD music was with less emphasis on the down beat and more emphasis on the up beat.

Emphasizing the up beat is less tiring for the dancers.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

During a recent bout with insomnia, I found myself trying to be lulled to sleep with upper channel tv. I ended up on the 70s Music Explosion infomercial from Time/Life. I ended up with three or four earworms for days, including "Billy, Don't be a Hero_ and "that's the night that the lights went out in Georgia" and so forth.

There is something about 70s music that is more earwormy than other decades. Maybe its my age, I dunno...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

hyldemoer wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
"off-beat" as in _up beat_?

Doug, did ever go to Square Dances as a child?
I've been told (by a teacher who grew up in Ind. btw) that the way they used to play the SD music was with less emphasis on the down beat and more emphasis on the up beat.

Emphasizing the up beat is less tiring for the dancers.
No, I never went to square dances as a young person. My parents were homebodies that rarely took us kids anywhere other than to church and school. It wasn't until I attended college that I became more involved with the music scene. However, as an adult I have done square dancing, contra dancing, international folk dancing, Sufi dancing, etc. As I mentioned before, I especially like dance rhythms that sound non-standard to the Western ear. Folk tunes and dances from the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Brazil are appealing to me. Ragtime or ragged-time has a dotted rhythm where emphasis is placed on what I call an off beat, because it is neither an upbeat or a down beat. Keep in mind though that my major was in geology so I may have this idea all scrambled up.

When Weekender mentioned the word "earworm", I remember an earlier thread that I started on the same subject. I'm getting as bad as my Uncle Lester who told the same stupid joke over and over again, laughing his heart out each time he told it.