Grape seed oil?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Grape seed oil?

Post by Leel »

Hello All.

I recently acquired a Bleazey Boxwood (Fantastic critter! BTW, very sweet, classic "buttery tone" and superb response, fairly loud when pushed, etc, etc. etc.) and am curious as to whether anyone knows if Grape Seed Oil would be good for boxwood.

The flute has been well broken in, but was oiled with a different material (Henderson's Bore Doctor) in the past.

Two questions:

1) Is Grape Seed a good choice to begin with?

2) And, are there any issues with switching to a new substance (any) when something else has already been used quite a bit?

Thanks for help....

LEE
cajordan

Post by cajordan »

The only thing I remember about grape seed oil was (from aromatherapy/massage oils) was that is was a good choice for not going rancid ... I'd think it would be equivalent to Almond oil.

Can't answer your other question about mixing oils.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't think there should be a problem switching oils. I've bought at least a couple of flutes that had been treated with linseed oil by the makers (including Bleazey). I always use an olive/almond mixture and haven't had any problems.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

I've read good things about Grapeseed oil and have uesed it. It does well but seems to be lighter than Almond Oil.

Chas said:
I don't think there should be a problem switching oils. I've bought at least a couple of flutes that had been treated with linseed oil by the makers (including Bleazey). I always use an olive/almond mixture and haven't had any problems.
What is the "olive/almond mixture you use? I've heard good things about mixing them. I'm a lover of olive oil but never used it in my flutes. Comments?

Thanx,

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
chas

Post by chas »

BillG wrote: What is the "olive/almond mixture you use? I've heard good things about mixing them. I'm a lover of olive oil but never used it in my flutes.
It was promoted by the late great Glenn Schultz. It's 4 parts extra light olive oil to 1 part almond oil. He was quite adamant about the extra light part, not sure why. I've used this mixture for several years; I especially liked it when I had sandalwood-scented almond (massage) oil.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

chas wrote:
BillG wrote: What is the "olive/almond mixture you use? I've heard good things about mixing them. I'm a lover of olive oil but never used it in my flutes.
It was promoted by the late great Glenn Schultz. It's 4 parts extra light olive oil to 1 part almond oil. He was quite adamant about the extra light part, not sure why. I've used this mixture for several years; I especially liked it when I had sandalwood-scented almond (massage) oil.
The 'light' is probably because "extra virgin" has such strong (delicious) aroma.

It might make you want to EAT your flute! :P
chas

Post by chas »

Leel wrote:The 'light' is probably because "extra virgin" has such strong (delicious) aroma.

It might make you want to EAT your flute! :P
Yeah, the last thing I want is a flute that smells like salad. Buttered popcorn, OTOH. . .
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

another reason for extra light might be because this version is slightly thinner and easier to spread maybe.

cheers
berti
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I've always been tempted to give grape seed oil a try, just because I think it sounds elegant. But that's not a very good reason, so I haven't.

I heard somewhere (I think on some flutemaker's website) that you shouldn't switch from a mineral bore oil to a vegetable based one or something....ah, found it! From Clive Cattreral's site:
It is usually not a good idea to mix vegetable and mineral oils, so if you are going to use a mineral oil for your bore then don't mix and match with a vegetable oil.
http://www.flutes.fsbusiness.co.uk/oils.html

But I don't think it would really hurt. I know Kevin Crawford has switched from almond oil to mineral bore oil, and his flute still plays.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Extra virgin olive oil is a cold press straight from the olives and contains lots of nutrients and solid particles that will make your flute go manky. Very good and healthy for eating though.

Extra light olive oil is filtered and very purified, contains very little nutrients and is usually from the last extraction of the olives. Not good or healthy for eating but very useful for other things like oiling wood.

?
Leel

Post by Leel »

Thanks Everyone - Good stuff :thumbsup:

LEE