Cynth, this one's for YOU!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Cynth, this one's for YOU!

Post by Lambchop »

This is certainly disturbing news!

"They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060823/D8JLQJ100.html
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cynth, this one's for YOU!

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:This is certainly disturbing news!

Raccoons are cute!!!
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cynth, this one's for YOU!

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:
Lambchop wrote:This is certainly disturbing news!

Raccoons are cute!!!
Cute but evil. Do your best never to have any living in your attic.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I know I shouldn't do this but "Racoons in the Attic"!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Psycho Killer Raccoons Terrorize Olympia
:o :o :o

Mercy!! This is disturbing. I haven't seen or heard our raccoons since the night the mother was getting them down the tree. I think they must have moved.

But, you know, I have felt a little ill at ease out of doors at night because someone told me that on his farm he was approached by little raccoons. He shooed them away, but I thought they would be a bit more timid. If I go outside at night I stamp my feet and make noise.
In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive.
:o :o

But it sounds like making noise would just let these racccoons know where you were. Of course, I am considerably larger than a small dog, so it would take a pretty big pack of them to carry me off.
Lisann Rolle said she began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.
I wonder how big the iron pipe should be? I'm not sure I could actually use it. And then what if I mistook a masked trick or treater for a raccoon? I don't think I'd better go the weapon route.

We have a big rule for the kitties that they cannot go out after dinner. They have a couple times broken that rule so I need to make sure we have them closed in another room before opening any outside doors. And we don't leave pet food out, other than seed in the bird feeders. It doesn't seem as though big animals are getting into the feeders. We do have a compost pile (vegetable waste only) which might attract them, but I cannot see how we could do without it.
Brown said he had seen packs of raccoons this big but none so into killing.

"They are in command up there," he said.
I feel that perhaps we are near to the end of the times, as my grandmother used to say. :boggle:

I shall be adding "urban raccoons" to this list:
http://www.10000reasons.org/
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I grew up in Washington, near Olympia, and Raccoons aren't funny. My parents' neighbor used to feed a family of raccoons regularly, buying them corn and pet foods ~ so cute!

Then he went on vacation.

They began to hang out around my folks' house, and started terrorizing my 80 year old Mom. They would come right up to the front door when she was bringing bags of groceries in from her car parked in the driveway. Although they didn't bite her, she was scared. Some of them were big!

Same result as the guy in Olympia, no luck catching the boogers.
And there's a whole family of them.

M
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

Sounds like another reason to carry a Low D whistle around! (Of course, in my case I'm referring to driving them away by attempting to play it....).
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
djm

Post by djm »

Everyone seems to be avoiding noting the fact that racoons are a major vector for the spread of rabies. They have gone past the point of nuisance here, as they are stowing away aboard transport trucks in the US and then escaping here, bringing in new strains of rabies to this area; like we didn't have enough problems, with this being the most infected region of Canada for rabies already.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Whistlin' Dixie wrote:They began to hang out around my folks' house, and started terrorizing my 80 year old Mom. They would come right up to the front door when she was bringing bags of groceries in from her car parked in the driveway. Although they didn't bite her, she was scared. Some of them were big!
Your poor mom! I would be extremely scared by having any wild animal come right up to the house or me. I hope her neighborhood is getting concerned! They must be going up to other houses as well. I know people think it is kind or fun to feed wild animals, but it really messes things up for them and for people.

I did hear of someone in Iowa who had raccoons come in through a cat door in the house. She was out of town and the person feeding her cats found that they tore the kitchen apart. They also accidentally turned on one of the burners on the stove! There was no fire, but that sounds scary to me. Apparently, raccoons had come in through the cat door before and the woman did not feel it was a problem. I can't understand that. She should have closed off that door right away. If they get used to going in her house, then they'll be trying to get into other houses and soon someone will shoot them.
djm wrote:Everyone seems to be avoiding noting the fact that racoons are a major vector for the spread of rabies. They have gone past the point of nuisance here, as they are stowing away aboard transport trucks in the US and then escaping here, bringing in new strains of rabies to this area; like we didn't have enough problems, with this being the most infected region of Canada for rabies already.

djm
Well, I was being a little silly up there, but I do think it is a serious problem. The article mentioned rabies and that the woman who got bit got shots for rabies.

When I had posted about the raccoons earlier this summer, I thought I had read something about a program for controlling rabies in the wild by dropping vaccine baits from trucks or planes. This is what I found just for Tenneesee:

http://www2.state.tn.us/health/FactSheets/raccoon.htm

It also gives good advice for how to treat wild life:
Rabies: Five Ways to Protect Yourself and Your Family:

Do not feed, touch or adopt wild animals, and be cautious of stray dogs and cats. Rabid animals do not always appear ill or vicious!

Teach children to leave wildlife alone. Be sure your child knows to tell you if an animal bites or scratches them.

Have your veterinarian vaccinate your dogs, cats, or ferrets against rabies. Keep pet vaccinations up-to-date.

Tightly close garbage cans. Open trash attracts wild or stray animals to your home or yard.

Feed your pets indoors; never leave pet food outside as this attracts wildlife.

Call your doctor and your local health department for advice if an animal bites or claws you. Report the incident immediately!
It seems like all this advice is good, not just to prevent getting bitten by a rabid animal, but to prevent wild animals from getting too familiar with people and depending on them for food and coming to a bad end through no fault of their own. Just watch from a distance!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'm tired of these $@#%^ing raccons on this $@#%^ing plane!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've had more than my share of negative racoon experiences so I can say I'm not too fond of them. As long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

This "Cute" business should be ringing warning bells. If kids are cute, we have learned by experience, it is because they are so diabolically mischevious that cuteness is their sole saving grace. Ditto for animals.
In the main, brightly-coloured animals are poisonous. It is a similar sort of rule. "Cute" means mischief.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

But raccoons are sooooooo cute!!! On the cuteness scale, raccoons rate higher than puppies and kitties and mousies even little baby bears, although not as high as koala bears, and definitely not as high as lambies. Cute, cute, cute, cute, cute!!! You just want to hold them and hug them and pet them and give them little raccoon nuggies between their little raccoon ears.

Don't tell me I'm the only person here who has actually shot one.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
djm

Post by djm »

gonzo wrote:Don't tell me I'm the only person here who has actually shot one.
Well, I used to watch Fess Parker as Davey Crocket on tv. Does that count?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

gonzo914 wrote:Don't tell me I'm the only person here who has actually shot one.
No, you're not the only one, Gonzo.

Wild animals are just that... wild. Racoons, opossums, skunks, and other small mammals are opportunistic feeders, eating whatever is most convenient at the time, be it cat food, or in the case of some, your cat. Raccoons are not cuddly, they are not cute. Well they are in the zoo, but they're not when you're between them and where they want to be. They are faster than you, and they are meaner than you, and they are better armed than you are unless you are carrying a club, knife, or gun. Yes, they are beautiful, but they are not for playing with. Stay away from the critters, and if you've got them in your yard or attic or wherever, then call animal control and get rid of them before they either tear your place up or possibly infect your dog or cat (or you) with rabies, tetanous, or something equally nasty.

Oh, and on a related note... I've not done this personally, but I have it on very good authority that you should NEVER, EVER rope a deer. They'll hit the end of the rope and run right back up it to you. I do have personal experience with how sharp deer hooves are, and they can cut you nine ways from Sunday before you can say "Whoops."
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.