The 'Latchico' Song

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
dannyg85

The 'Latchico' Song

Post by dannyg85 »

Hi, hope this is the right bit of the site :)

My Grandad used to always play this song, the chorus went along the lines of 'hey ho the latchico', i would love to get a copy of this track but i dont know who it's by or what it's actually called! And a few searches have led me to dead ends.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Try spelling it "Latchyco"...

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dannyg85

Post by dannyg85 »

dubhlinn wrote:Try spelling it "Latchyco"...
Not a bad idea of yours that :D

Thanks very much dubhlinn!
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

When I put "latchyco" into "search" I get referred back to this thread and nowhere else. I've been a strong advocate for phpBB in my work environment, but there's clearly something that I'm just not getting with the search facility :swear:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'd advise searching Google, not this board.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Found a source or two via Google using "latchyco,lyrics", but for some reason lyrics sites are verboten to my 'puter. It's happened before. Major spyware factor, apparently. Weird. I'm not so curious as to change my settings, yet.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

s1m0n wrote:I'd advise searching Google, not this board.
Tried that too, and all I got was a couple of hundred totally implausible links to Daniel O'Donnell :boggle:, of all people. I can't believe his mammy would have let him use a word like that at all at all.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:...all I got was a couple of hundred totally implausible links to Daniel O'Donnell...
Sorry; I might have mentioned that, too. I get so used to sifting the chaff I don't think much of it.
Roger O'Keefe wrote:I can't believe his mammy would have let him use a word like that at all at all.
So, what IS a latchyco? The best I could find was some sort of milquetoast definition as "a bad man".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

From the contexts in which I've heard it used, it evidently means "a bit of a lad", an untrustworthy character. But I always like to have a feel for the etymology of an unusual word before I'm comfortable using it, which is precisely why I'm looking for more than the lyrics of a song. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be travellers' cant, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Maybe someone would like to consult the Mudcat oracle on our collective behalf, I'm already goofing off work so much in C&F over the last few days that I'm resisting the tempation to go there myself :oops: .
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I think the original request has been answered. The call was for recordings. Google shows the following:

Daniel O'Donnell recorded it on an album called "The Half of".

Seamus McGee recorded it on an album called "A-One".

I also see an instrumental version on a collection by a generic name of Shamrock & Thistle on an album called "50 Country & Irish Requests".

What more could you ask for? Life is surely complete.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:From the contexts in which I've heard it used, it evidently means "a bit of a lad", an untrustworthy character. But I always like to have a feel for the etymology of an unusual word before I'm comfortable using it, which is precisely why I'm looking for more than the lyrics of a song. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be travellers' cant, but that's pure guesswork on my part.

Maybe someone would like to consult the Mudcat oracle on our collective behalf, I'm already goofing off work so much in C&F over the last few days that I'm resisting the tempation to go there myself :oops: .
Nothing over at Mudcat.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:I think the original request has been answered. The call was for recordings. Google shows the following:

Daniel O'Donnell recorded it on an album called "The Half of".

Seamus McGee recorded it on an album called "A-One".

I also see an instrumental version on a collection by a generic name of Shamrock & Thistle on an album called "50 Country & Irish Requests".

What more could you ask for? Life is surely complete.

djm
Yeah, but no sample clips. There are clips for just about everything but "The Latchyco". It's like you have to buy a CD, fercryinoutloud. :wink:
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I bet it means something pertaining to gypsies. When I first saw this thread, I thought of the movie Latcho Drom, which I thought was spelled Latchko. I searched around a bit and it seems to be a Serbian surname, but perhaps "bad man" is synonymous with gypsy.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:I bet it means something pertaining to gypsies. When I first saw this thread, I thought of the movie Latcho Drom, which I thought was spelled Latchko. I searched around a bit and it seems to be a Serbian surname, but perhaps "bad man" is synonymous with gypsy.
Here's another "lachko" possibility:

http://www.lokpriya.com/cuisine/gujarat/veg/lachko.html

:wink:

And from Paul Goldsmith's Dictionary of Period Russian Names:

Lachko (m) -- "hunger."
Vars: Lacka. 1398.

*Google google google...*

Looks like you had it right the first time with "latcho", Weeks; the added "K" looks like a current common typo. It's a Romany word, "Latcho Drom" meaning "safe journey":

http://www.rambles.net/latcho_drom94.html

Doesn't get us any closer to "latchyco".
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

The Weekenders wrote:I bet it means something pertaining to gypsies. When I first saw this thread, I thought of the movie Latcho Drom, which I thought was spelled Latchko. I searched around a bit and it seems to be a Serbian surname, but perhaps "bad man" is synonymous with gypsy.
This all makes sense, I also had 'a feeling' that the word might be romany, but nothing firm to go on.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar