Oh for a Peach!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Charlene wrote:I've gotten a few good peaches this year at the grocery store but this last batch was hard. So I put them in a paper bag on the counter - the one I had for lunch today was good after a couple of days in the bag, and I have hopes for the next one for tomorrow.
This is what I've learned to do. Don't know why it took so many years before I found out they'd ripen this way. Once upon a time in my youth, you could actually buy a ripe peach at the market, ready to eat. Now one must plan ahead. You also have to keep an eye on the ones in the bag, as they'll develop a soft spot if you wait too long.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

So far, the peaches we've gotten here, even from local sources, have not been nearly as good as last year's. We've planted our own trees, so will maybe have our own supply, in the future.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peaches and nectarines are out of season here of course, but there is no problem geting good ones in season. I love both and enjoy the white varieties as much as the yellow. In my youth, the white varieties were the only eating peaches you could get in Melbourne.

Our problem is bananas now. A cyclone wiped out most of our crop this year so they are over $12 a kilo. In now wish I'd harvested the crop on my own trees.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

susnfx wrote:Like trying to find good Mexican food in Washington, D.C.
I suspect this is based on a couple of decades ago??? I used to be able to walk from my house to Mexican, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Honduran, Colombian, Brazilian, and any host of other Latin American restaurants, all run by immigrants from those countries and most of them quite good (but not the least bit fancy). There are over a million immigrants in the area, the majority from Latin America, and the majority of those from Mexico. We can't have a quarter million Mexicans without good Mexican food.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:Nearly every day for the past month I've gone to work at an outlying clinic we have in northern Utah. I drive past orchards with stands selling fresh peaches, cherries, raspberries, etc. You absolutely can't beat the fruit grown in northern Utah--something about the climate. Absolute perfection!
Yeah, the orchards here produce some yummy fruit. The cool part is you can get some really high quality fruit for a very good price from some of the ma' n' pa' roadside stands.

Like trying to find good Mexican food in Washington, D.C.

Susan
Well, you can find a restaurant or two, usually, but avoid the refried beans... you simple cant find refried beans in washington dc....
usually some joe schmoe will try an push what he calls refriend beans on ya, but its really just warmed over bullsh.....oh, whoops, wrong forum... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Tyler Morris wrote:....refriend beans ...
ROFL...that's funny enough that I'm just going to leave it there. :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

chas wrote:
I suspect this is based on a couple of decades ago???
35 to be exact. Lived there for a few years in the early 70s and really good Mexican food was not to be found. The places we encountered were truly dreadful.

Leaving to drive by the orchards this morning...anybody want anything?

Susan
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

susnfx wrote: Leaving to drive by the orchards this morning...anybody want anything?

Susan
Yes, I want some of those peaches I remember from so long ago! I'll take any cherries you find too. They are my favorite. I was interested to hear that the fruit in Utah really is as good as I seem to remember. I was thinking maybe it was just fond memories in my imagination.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I feel your pain! I was raised in Washington state, which (at least back then) produced marvelous peaches, and I miss them terribly. In my opinion, no other fruit can compare with the perfect peach.

I've only had REALLY GOOD peaches here in Alaska only once, and that was when my sister bought a box of magnificent peaches from her favorite Farmers' Market vendor in California and hand-carried them on the plane for my wedding 18 years ago. Other than that singular experience, I've lived like my Canadian 'neighbor' who started this thread: I see peaches in the store, and they LOOK good so every couple years I succumb and give them a try, and they are a terrible disappointment. I really need to get back to Washington for a visit during peach season. :D
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Mmmmmm, peaches!

I, too, grew up in Washington state, but have to say:

Most delicious: in Birmingham Alabama, where you can get Chilton County peaches, not so beautiful but the taste and juicieness out of this world! Sold in stands on the roadside, when I lived there a few years back.

My husband's grandparents grew ENORMOUS peaches on their farm in Mississippi ~ those peaches also live on in my memory.

M :party:
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I get all our fresh fruit and melons from a farmers market. Meet the growers and they let you sample and are they SWEET- the peaches, that is.

Can't stand the stuff in the chain super markets, not ripe, not tasty and too expensive.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

susnfx wrote:
chas wrote:
I suspect this is based on a couple of decades ago???
35 to be exact. Lived there for a few years in the early 70s and really good Mexican food was not to be found. The places we encountered were truly dreadful.
35 decades???? Wow. Didn't realise Mexican food could be got there in the 1670s. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician