What is the South?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Is the South a:

Purely geographical construct (a certain number of states or counties)
6%
Socio-cultural construct (a group of people who have shared values, religions, and cultures)
3%
Historical construct (the group of states and territories that formed the Confederacy)
6%
All of the above
67%
Other answer
19%

Total votes: 36

Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:
missy wrote:
djm wrote: I know people are knocking themselves out to appear politically correct and say the war wasn't about slavery, but really, it was.

djm
No - politically correct would be saying the ONLY reason for the Civil War was slavery. That is what many kids are taught in school now.
Do some reading. Especially agricultural vs. industrial economies present at the time. Especially the constitutionality of state rights and seceding. Especially the political reasons for the Emancipation Proclamation.
:-? :-? :-?

That is NOT what kids MY class are taught. Nor do I know any teachers that would teach that.
Mark
That is pretty much what we were taught...then again, that was a couple decades ago. Lip service may have been paid to "economic reasons" or whatever, but probably no more than a paragraph in an entire textbook. However, we learned all about the emancipation proclamation and all that stuff, and how the civil war was over slavery. That was the primary focus.

In fact, what about that controversy over South Carolina and the confederate flag? Don't most of the people who oppose South Carolina flying the confederate flag do so because it's a "symbol of slavery"?
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

If I post anything at the moment I'm likely to get really pissy. Frankly I'm really sick of the crap people give teachers these days. So I'll just say that elementary classrooms have changed A LOT since most of us have been in them. I'd respectfully suggest that you guys check out some of the state standards being taught these days.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
missy

Post by missy »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:If I post anything at the moment I'm likely to get really pissy. Frankly I'm really sick of the crap people give teachers these days. So I'll just say that elementary classrooms have changed A LOT since most of us have been in them. I'd respectfully suggest that you guys check out some of the state standards being taught these days.

Mark
Sliabh - first, I have the utmost respect for teachers. Or I do for good, quality teachers.
Second, I have a 19 year old and a 15 year old, so I'm still "going through" the school system now. My oldest attended parochial schools, my youngest parochial, private, and is currently in the ONE high school in our district that is NOT on "academic emergency".
I know the state standards - they are horrible. We are now up to 10th grade for the graduation exam (was 9th for my older son). How about 12th????

And - believe me, as BAD as history is taught in the schools, you really don't want to get me started on the truly pathetic way science is currently taught.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

As I recall, my Oklahoma History class in high school delved more into the complexities of the war than did my high school American History class.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:If I post anything at the moment I'm likely to get really pissy. Frankly I'm really sick of the crap people give teachers these days. So I'll just say that elementary classrooms have changed A LOT since most of us have been in them. I'd respectfully suggest that you guys check out some of the state standards being taught these days.

Mark
For the record, I'm not giving anyone crap, let alone teachers. I'm just relating what I was taught in school. I liked school.. I learned a lot ;)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote: For the record, I'm not giving anyone crap, let alone teachers. I'm just relating what I was taught in school. I liked school.. I learned a lot ;)
I am so greatful for scool. They lurned me to reed and right. If I wadn't able to reed and right, I mite not could participate in these online discushions unless I had one of those talking computer setups. That would be cool!
Reasonable person
Walden
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Okay okay, my sense of humor has been restored. I apologize for my grouchy outburst yesterday. I think I'm just not ready for summer to be over.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:Okay okay, my sense of humor has been restored. I apologize for my grouchy outburst yesterday. I think I'm just not ready for summer to be over.

Mark
You ole' curmudgeon you!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The south is everywhere below Watford Gap service area on the M1 motorway. I thought everyone knew that. Humph. Silly question! :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

No, no, the South starts at Newry!

I'm bemused by the discussion about the Civil War and Slavery. I got a shock when I was reading a book recently which pointed out the the reason the Northern States didn't use slaves (in the 1770s) was that it was too expensive in terms of clothing and housing. It needed a warm climate so owners could leave the poor souls half naked and unsheltered and still make money.

(The book was "Sergeant Lamb of the Ninth" by Robert Graves.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!