Warming up a reed

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
goldy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Warming up a reed

Post by goldy »

I was wondering what you guys do to deal with the back D's response to the warming up issue (flattening over the first 5-10 minutes). I am trying to find something that works for me.

My previous process was to pick up my pipes, start playing, and then immediatly pull the windcap off to lower or close the bridle in response to a sharp back D. I would then play for 5 minutes and fiddle with the bridle again to sharpen the back D due to the warming up process flattening it. I could then play the reed happily for half an hour or so and put them back in the case for a repeat of the whole thing next time I pulled them out (and I wondered why my reeds didn't last long!).

I now just put up with the sharp back D for the first few minutes, but figured someone might have a genious alternative method.

My thinking was that pipers might find a middle ground where the reed is just slightly sharp at the start and slightly flat thereafter. The only method I've heard of is to play a sustained high D to get the reed vibrating quickly and get a head start on the process (this usually sets off the dogs barking in my neighbourhood).

Any comments.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
djm

Post by djm »

It is normal for the reeds to take up to twenty minutes to get in a stable condition. The chanter is most nosticable, but the drones change a bit over time, as well. It is nothing for pros to start warming their sets up at least an hour before a concert to ensure everything is working and in tune.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

If i'm playing in a session I'll generally sit with my pipes on and just blow air through the chanter for 5-10 minutes without letting it make a noise, this is usually enough for the reed to adjust to the local conditions and means that i'm not too horrendously out of tune when I join in for my first tune.
Works for me...

Concerts are a different matter - at least 15-20 minutes of playing the set before i'd even consider they were anywhere near in tune, but this isn't always possible so the 'silent' blowing technique is better than nothing in those circumstances.. and lots of re-tuning inbetween sets of course!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The best way I have found to warm up a reed, is to offer it a glass of wine, cook dinner for it, take it to a movie and, perhaps, even buying it a very expensive chanter to snuggle in. It works wonders man, it works wonders.

... edited to correct spelling.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
djones

Post by djones »

I wonder if reed construction affects this. I have made reeds that are more stable than others. I am just not skilled enough yet to know exactly what I did to make them that way. Reed gurus?

Dave Jones
goldy

Post by goldy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The best way I have found to warm up a reed, is to offer it a glass of wine, cook dinner for it, take it to a movie and, perhaps, even buying it a very expensive chanter to snuggle in. It works wonders man, it works wonders.
But does the reed put out after all these efforts? :D (Aye!... wink, wink, nudge nudge!... say no more!... a wink's as good as a nudge to a blind man's back!)
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
goldy

Post by goldy »

beckitybek wrote:If i'm playing in a session I'll generally sit with my pipes on and just blow air through the chanter for 5-10 minutes without letting it make a noise, this is usually enough for the reed to adjust to the local conditions and means that i'm not too horrendously out of tune when I join in for my first tune.
Works for me...
That sounds like a reasonable solution. I might give that a go for performances where no back room is available for propper warm ups. Although I got lucky at my last performance, with the reed playing great straight out of the case.
billh

Post by billh »

In most cases I think this isn't an ambient air-temperature issue, but more of a reed-relaxation issue.

Of course moving the pipes from warmer to colder or vice-versa is a different matter, the chanter walls need to reach their equilibrium temp before tuning stabilizes. But if it's a reed relaxation issue, you might try gently touching the blades of the reed with the pads of forefinger and thumb, even so that the reed tips close, and holding that for three or four seconds. In my experience this will cause the reed to become more compliant and close a little almost immediately, in much the same way that the reed softens and closes after a few minutes of playing.

No guarantees of course. And probably better to be making your own reeds if you do this, since there is more chance of accidental damage when you're taking the reed cap on and off. Arguably safer than fiddling with the bridle though.

Bill