Pork Griskins?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Pork Griskins?

Post by flanum »

Well today i was out fishing with my dad and a mate, we caught a few perch so we decided to pull in to "drum up" (light a fire and cook the fish)! We also had with us some eggs, sausages, Rashers, mushrooms and Griskins!
The conversation turned to the food, and apparently, according to my dad, it isnt possible to get Griskins outside of Ireland, as in no butchers in England had ever heard of them. They are absolutely delicious, i have been eating them since i was a lad, they are basically the pigs sphincter muscle- very meaty and chewy! Apparently this freaks some people out.

Du ye have this in the states or England under perhaps a different name?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
djm

Post by djm »

flanum wrote:Du ye have this in the states or England under perhaps a different name?
Yes, they are called hot dogs. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I have never encountered them in the states. I've never heard of eating them. I can only hope that in the butchering process they are rendered unidentifiable.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

TANGENTIALLY RELATED ANECDOTE:

At my high school, there were something like 5 lines you could get in for lunch, all of them serving different (though similarly inedible) foods. One of them served something called "chicken rings" every day. I mean, literally, every day of the week. These were essentially chicken nuggets, round but with a telling aperture in the center. I made it a hobby of mine to lean over to someone just as they were biting into one and say, "You know, there's only one part of a chicken where you can get a ring."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

- Hot Dog ingredient info. from the "National Hot Dog & Sausage Council": http://www.hot-dog.org/

-Ketchup Advisory Board:
http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/prog ... chup.shtml
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

brianormond wrote:-Ketchup Advisory Board:
http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/prog ... chup.shtml
:lol:

Bebop-a-reebop Rhubarb Pie!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:TANGENTIALLY RELATED ANECDOTE:

At my high school, there were something like 5 lines you could get in for lunch, all of them serving different (though similarly inedible) foods. One of them served something called "chicken rings" every day. I mean, literally, every day of the week. These were essentially chicken nuggets, round but with a telling aperture in the center. I made it a hobby of mine to lean over to someone just as they were biting into one and say, "You know, there's only one part of a chicken where you can get a ring."
I used to work at Hartz Chicken as a teen. Hartz butchers (or at least used to--I dunno about now) whole chickens in each store, rather than getting them pre-cut. I wasn't old enough to run the buzz saw machine, so I didn't really learn how the chicken was cut specifically.

I usually helped close the store every night, and part of that entailed pulling out the big industrial non-slip mat out of the back...it was a huge rubberized affair, with a honey-comb hole structure. Every night, it had chicken bits in it that left me puzzled, so I pulled one out once, held it up, and said "Hey, what part of the chicken is this? It looks like a little chicken butt hole."

The manager laughed and said "The butt hole."

:lol:
lenf

Re: Pork Griskins?

Post by lenf »

flanum wrote: ...and apparently, according to my dad, it isnt possible to get Griskins outside of Ireland...
Well, there are probably more a***oles in Ireland, per capita, but the Emerald Isle hardly holds a monopoly. Why, in France alone...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Bump.

I saw this languishing on the bottom and couldn't bear to let such an appetizing topic fade away. :)
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Aha, just found this.....
http://thebuttsfarmshop.com/browse_116

Look at the family name!!!!!!! :lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

But this is what it says a griskin is:
Griskin

boned and skinned loin

I'm no expert on comparative anatomy, you understand, but I didn't think a . . . griskin . . . would have bones.

Are you sure your dad hasn't been pulling your leg all these years?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:But this is what it says a griskin is:
Griskin

boned and skinned loin

I'm no expert on comparative anatomy, you understand, but I didn't think a . . . griskin . . . would have bones.

Are you sure your dad hasn't been pulling your leg all these years?
I also saw it defined in the 1913 edition of Webster's revised Unabridged as "the spine of a hog," although it says the term wqs obsolete even back then.

This does sound an awful lot like a dad story, although there is always the possibility that the Irish are not eating quite so high on the hog.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Perhaps "loin" is a polite euphemism. :wink:

How big are griskins? Maybe they're the little muscles around the vertebrae? Thus explaining the "deboning?"

I was just tucking into a nice bowl of fejoada--or something, only the deity knows for sure--in a hole-in-wall restaurant in Washington when my dinner partner exclaimed "Oh, look! You got a tail!" And sure enough, there was a little piglet tail curled in the middle of my dinner.

My date looked so forlorn that I switched bowls with him so he could have the yummy treat.
djm

Post by djm »

The last one seems most applicable to LC's experience:

Definitions of feijoada on the Web:

* A Brazilian dish very similar to cassoulet, made with black beans. Sausage, bacon, ham, and various cuts of pork cooked in with the beans. The traditional accompaniments are plain white rice, cooked greens, fresh orange slices, and a very hot sauce, similar to pico de gallo, called molho carioca. Toasted cassava flour is used as a condiment, to be added by each diner.
www.recipegoldmine.com/glossary/glossaryF.html

* [fay-ZHWAH-duh] Brazil`s most famous regional dish, feijoada is an assorted platter of thinly sliced meats (such as sausages, pig`s feet and ears, beef and smoked tongue) accompanied by side dishes of rice, black beans, shredded kale or collard greens, hearts of palm, orange slices and hot peppers.
www.mychefcoat.com/terms-f.html

* Feijoada, a traditional Angolan, Brazilian, Portuguese dish among other former Portuguese colonies, is a stew of black beans (in Brazil), white or red beans in Portugal, with a variety of pork and beef products such as salted pork trimmings (ears, tail, feet), pork sausage and bacon, and salted beef (loin and tongue). Angolan and São Tomean feijoadas uses palm oil. Northeastern Portugal includes vegetables and uses red beans, while neighbouring Northwest prefers white beans.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoada

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Re: Pork Griskins?

Post by hyldemoer »

flanum wrote:... they are basically the pigs sphincter muscle- very meaty and chewy! Apparently this freaks some people out.

Du ye have this in the states or England under perhaps a different name?
Griskins?
I've never heard of them or anything like them
but my son used to work in a large grocery store chain and he has told me that a lot of products were neighborhood specific.

Perhaps I've just never shopped in the right neighborhood here in Chicago.