A free home security system you probably already have...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

hyldemoer wrote:Which would be worse, a home intruder looking for more drug money or a gaggle of stoned geese greeting you at the back yard gate?
Worse would be a stoned intruder crapping all over the yard. :o :D

Gavin, one South African home security device I saw touted here was a flame thrower that is mounted under the car and takes out would-be car jackers from either side. Of course, these are not legal here, but I heard there were a lot of takers in Mexico, where kidnap and ransom (even by the police) is apparently quite prevalent.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

brianc wrote:Image

Nothing says "Welcome, intruder." quite like the Remington 870.
[/quote]

Everyone understands that language, too.

Plus, compared to a handgun, they are loads easier to aim and are good for varmints, as well as the occasional meal.

That would be my choice, were the Little Pasture anything less than an impenetrable fortress.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote:

Plus, compared to a handgun, they are loads easier to aim and are good for varmints, as well as the occasional meal.

That would be my choice, were the Little Pasture anything less than an impenetrable fortress.[/quote]

Not too easy to use in confined spaces though.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

That would be my choice, were the Little Pasture anything less than an impenetrable fortress.
Not too easy to use in confined spaces though.

Isn't that why you saw them off? :-?

Besides, I always planned to shoot well before they got that close.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol: :lol:
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Having experienced both casual and serious intrusions in my condo building and some push-and-shove street assault -I have to think outcome-based response is best.

-What do you want when encountering thieves/miscreants on your property? Primarily their absence-all else is gravy. Save heroics for Dirty Harry. I deploy a squawking, official-looking handheld VHF transceiver as a prop frequently. This implies backup and is usually successful getting request-to-leave compliance.

-Do I have backup? Yes, but not in a form suitable to any but dire defensive circumstances, and any display or reference to it in the heat of the moment may provoke an armed response from the guy or group whom just a few seconds earlier would have willingly left. Its fine to be prepared but absolutely best to allow the situation to devolve as peacefully as possible.

-Avoid the urge to make a personal apprehension unless you are trained, equipped and competent to deal with the nearly inevitable wrestling match -in otherwords if you're a cop with backup right there & then. Junkies & druggies will resist furiously when cornered if they perceive the faintest chance of escape. A gun is only capable of one level of response, and may be turned against you at the time or later in court.

-A neighbor deploys a "shaker" type turkey call http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail ... &cc=T&dn=1 to weird out snoopers casing the property. Its loud, durable, inexpensive and hilarious, resembling in appearance an alien recreational device. :D

-I assisted a retail security guard struggling with a shoplifter once, and when the suspect was controlled we opened his backpack to find it loaded with loot & drug needles. We both avoided getting needle-stuck in the struggle by good luck, but it shows just one of the hazards a person undertakes in enforcement action. These risks are better undertaken by police than by most of us.

-I'm used to an ambient-urban defensive posture but would have to reconfigure for rural security
concerns.
Joseph E. Smith

Something (say, a recording) that's very very loud and absolutely hideous to the ear (the singing of Anthony Newly comes to mind :D ) can work wonders. If you do not have pets, connecting such a device to a motion detector could possibly be do-able.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Guys and gals, maybe if you haven't thought of this, and maybe it's a function of where I was raised and where I live that I do...

What you are going to do if a rabid animal comes on your land, or even gets in your house?

It can happen. Rabid cats in particular are extremely dangerous.

If it happens, and you don't have a gun and know how to safely use it, you are in seriously deep trouble.

There is still no known cure for rabies. Once aquired, it is 100% fatal in humans. There is a vaccine which can prevent infection if taken in time, but vaccines can fail...and no vaccine in the world can help you if you are already mauled to death.

Just wondering what you think you'd realistically do in this situation.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

peeplj wrote:Just wondering what you think you'd realistically do in this situation.
Sorry, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but bringing this rabies thing up in the context of an excuse for keeping guns in the home strikes me as just plain dumb. Let's be honest - guns are for shooting people, and if you have a gun available to you, you are likely to shoot someone with it. If the gun falls into the burglar's hands, he will use your gun to shoot you. If your gun should somehow fall into an innocent's hands, an innocent will get shot. But most likely of all is that the gun will fall into a family member's hands during a domestic dispute and a loved one will be shot.

Americans hold just about every record I've ever heard of for shooting each other. Like buying lottery tickets, you can't shoot if you don't have a gun. :wink:

djm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

djm, I noticed that you didn't even try to answer the question.

Perhaps there aren't many cases of rabies where you are from?

Please read the Wikipedia article about rabies, noting that I was born and raised in Texarkana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

You said
Let's be honest - guns are for shooting people, and if you have a gun available to you, you are likely to shoot someone with it.
I'll have you know that I'm 40 and there have been very few days in my life when a gun was not available to me; however, I have never yet shot anyone with one.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
missy

Post by missy »

djm - while I understand what you are trying to say - I, too have lived in a house that had gun(s) in them my entire life, (along with recurve and compound bows) and none have been used to shoot a person.
Deer, rabbit, squirrel, quail (when it was legal a long time ago), and lots and lots of targets. But no people.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A gun is a tool.

Like any other tool, it is neither inherently good nor inherently evil.

It's only purpose is whatever the purpose of the hand that holds it.

I do not understand this modern tendency to demonize all gun owners and make us sound like we're all about half a breath away from bursting out on some rampaging killing spree.

It's simply not true. Where I live, owning a gun makes practical sense, and so it should come as no surprise that most families own guns.

Ironically, I live in a pretty peaceful place. Violent crime, though unfortunately not unheard of here, is pretty rare compared to some other places in this country of ours--including many places with draconian gun-control laws.

--James

-------
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I've heard people give many reasons why they own guns, but I have to admit, "in case a rabid cat gets in the house" is a new one.

I was raised in a home where there were many rifles and a few handguns. They were used for hunting and target shooting (and my father, a highway patrolman, had a handgun). We didn't own any type of gun safe. The guns were simply kept in the room of the owner. I took an NRA gun safety course when I was about 10 or 12. I enjoyed target shooting and never shot at a person or an animal or bird in my life. I was raised in a very quiet small town in a time when there wasn't so much violence around us (at least not that we saw on a daily basis, as now). In my young life, guns were just there for use in hunting or for target shooting.

I'm not afraid of guns but I don't want anything to do with them. I wouldn't have one in my house for any reason whatsoever. In the ultra-conservative western part of the U.S. where a great percentage of people are probably gun owners, I would imagine we hear more stories of accidental shootings than in many other areas (including the two year old son of a personal friend of mine who was killed by his six year old brother). I'll find other ways to protect my home.

Susan
djm

Post by djm »

Absolutely agreed that guns are tools, and that it is people who shoot people. And I also agree that gun-control does not prevent all shootings. But the reality is that the country that has the most guns, and the mostly easily available guns, also has the highest rates of shootings, whether involved in a crime or accident or domestic incident. By not having guns one reduces the chances of being shot, but not necessarily of crimes continuing to be committed, or domestic violence not to occur in some other form. Its just that these tend to be less lethal with a lack of available guns.

djm
Joseph E. Smith

All guns aside (I only possess a Queen Anne flintlock pistol, 50 cal. a one shot kind of thingy, but I do own many swords...), I do not think that owning weapons is a deterent for break ins, and often it becomes the case where said weapons can be turned against their owners.

I am convinced the best alarm system is a largish, mean looking dog, who lives indoors and who barks at the least little noise.... keep plenty of aspirin on hand. :D