Alien rain?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cynth wrote: If this stuff came off a comet, then how does that show that the aliens landed? Are they saying the aliens ride on comets? What was the stuff doing on a comet? I thought comets were hot and burning, with those tails behind them. What am I not getting here?
The fact that comets are neither hot nor burning?
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/mc ... balls.html

For what it's worth, I think this "alien rain" is a hoax.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Alien rain?

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote:Hey, at least it wasn't Purple Rain...
If it had been, the aliens would all look like this:

Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Alien reign?

I for one welcome our exterrestrial overloads.

Edit, Oops see below.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I.D.10-t wrote:Alien reign?

I for one welcome our exterritorial overloads.
Exterritorial overloads? You mean the Canadians?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

A letter in this week's "New Scientist" Magazine runs as follows:
K.C.John, Mahatma Gandhi University wrote:I wish to bring to your attention investigations by the School of Life Sciences at Mahatma Gandhi University into the phenomenon of "red rain" falling over the Indian state of Kerala (4th March, p. 34). These concluded that the cause was the spores of lichen that are abundant on the tiled roofs of many houses here.
This finding was published in local newspapers back in August 2001. Other local institutions, including the Centre for Earth Science Studies and Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute, accepted our findings at that time. In September 2001 they submitted a report to the government of Kerala, clearly stating that the cause of the red rain was spores, specifically those of a species of the lichen forming alga Trentepohlia.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

They look kind of spore-like to me. Big, thick wall. Dainty little evil being inside. Personally, I find this concerning.

Probably wasn't a meterorite at all, but a big spore-case encased in meteorite stuff as a delivery mechanism. After entry through the atmosphere, which burned off a good bit of the rock, the thing exploded ("sonic boom") to disseminate the spores. Much like a giant asteroidal puff-ball mushroom.

It must have been really big . . . I mean REALLY BIG . . . to release enough spores to cause an actual color change in the rain water, not to mention enable someone to scoop up THAT MANY in one tiny vial.

I'm sure growth starts off slowly, so that wide dissemination can occur before anybody really notices, but it's only a matter of time before Pod People start appearing amongst us.

Poor Godfrey will undoubtedly be one of the first to go.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm thinking that the more logical explanation is that the rain was normal, and that the red spores were picked up from the ground...but don't let me rain on any conspiracy theorists parade ;)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I think the red spores were super-abundant that year, got fluffed up into the atmosphere as dust, and then came down in the rain. Which then washed even more spores off trees, roofs, etc., etc., and . . . along came Godfrey.

I think they made up that name.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I heartily suggest everybody rents the el chupacabra episode of the X-files. I believe it's called "El Munda Gira" and is somewhere around season 4. flourescent Yellow rain pours down some kind of enzyme that makes common molds and fungi grow like crazy and EAT PEOPLE'S FACES OFF. Hee hee.

:twisted:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The X-Files!

Once, I actually tried to convince a woman that the X-Files was fiction. She kept going on about how noble David Duchovny, the actor, was in going public with his story. Not to mention brave, because you know how the FBI is. She just hoped he could stay one step ahead of them.

She wasn't kidding, either.
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:She wasn't kidding, either.
Well, the FBI is pretty scary, you know? Now that they no longer need any legal justification to arrest you and haul you off to a hidden, secret base for as long as they like, there's really no telling what might happen to any potential future David Duchovneys. I just feel fortunate that he was able to tell us as much of the truth as he knew before ... well, you-know-what happened to him towards the end of the series :o

The end of the series ..... hmmmmm .... :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.