East Durham 2006 photos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

East Durham 2006 photos

Post by beowulf573 »

Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Jack Bradshaw

Re: East Durham 2006 photos

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Wow ! Was that fast ! :o
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: East Durham 2006 photos

Post by Jon C. »

Great Photos, thanks!
Jon
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Think I was a few feet to the left of where that picture of the session with Peter Horan was taken. :)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

It's always hard to find a balance between taking photos and having a good time, so I usually regret not having taken more, but then again I had too good of a time to really worry about it.

Jon, I tried one of your flutes last week, very nice.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

Noonan's Rudall/Rose is surely beautiful! THanks for sharing that and your other photos.

Jeanie
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Cool! Thanks, Eddie!

Hi, Jack! Hi, Larry! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

jimmy's poor Rudall takes a beating, doesn't it?
Looks like the barrel cracked again (is it tape on there??).
oh well.
A unique Rudall since all the keys are pewter plugs. Only a few of those were ever made like that. I think potter (?) was the first to do it (Andrew would know......Oh Andrew! Is this right??)

Regardless, Jimmy does play it well.
He has another, I believe, but that's boxwood with regular keys.

by the way....
I didn't know McEvoy was lefty
how DUH!
smoro

Post by smoro »

And did you realized about the holes? They are far from be in the same line, the left hand holes are turned out a lot.
Is the way he plays?
Serafin.
cocusflute

Noonan's other flute...

Post by cocusflute »

Jimmy's other flute is nearly identical to the one he plays-- early 1830s. They are a hundred or so serial numbers away from each other. It has saltspoon keys and pewter plugs on the foot joint.
When I sold it to him it was in mint condition. The remarkable thing about his playing is the projection he can achieve with a relatively small-holed flute. He sold his soul and his sanity to achieve it.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

It was great sitting at the next table at a session listening to him play, simply wonderful.

I noticed that all the keys were plug-style, I hadn't realized flute were made that way, does it make it more difficult to achieve a tight seal?

I've seen several boxwood flutes recently, the older ones have this lovely rich patina. I'm tempted now to get one made, whenever my name comes up on Pat Olwell's list sometime in 2010. :D
Eddie
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

GREAT photos!
:) :)
Lesl
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Lovely photos! :D

I was interested to see the session photos taken in B&W, I tried this (by accident) recently at a ceili, and it seems the best way to get a clear photo when indoors with movement.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Thanks, I'm no Peter Laban but there are one or two that aren't horrible.

I originally tried the BW mode because I miss printing my own BW photos, I just don't have the time. That, and the fact the flash on my little point and shoot digital is anemic.

And I don't like shining the flash into the face of folks playing music in a dark pub.

If you take them home and stretch the contrast, they don't look too bad.
Eddie