The heat is on!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

djm wrote: In a way, I am glad to have been born when I was. At least I have known what the planet was like before it started to die. If I had had children, they would not have known the world as it was when I was young - cleaner with less people, more wildlife, rainforests and coral reefs still pristine, etc. Those who follow will never really know how it used to be, so they probably will never really appreciate what has been lost.

djm
No, but then again we never really knew what the world was like when our great grandparents, grandparents and even our own parents were growing up. Each generation over the past 150 years has seen enormous changes during their lifetimes with improvements on one level and deterioration on others. Isn't that the nature of life as we know it?

Anyhow, while I don't doubt the world's warming up and human activity causing it I am not sure how the present weather relates to that. It hasn't been as warm in Ireland for at least ten years and last years summer temperatures in Clare never rose above 22 Celsius and only reached that high on a handful of days. So in that sense there's not really an established pattern.

That said, the past few evenings we went out to Spanish Point to float about in the Ocean and it was just lovely (wearing the wetsuit mind you, watertemp here rarely gets over 16 and that only by the end of summer, there's the gulfstream for you). Something I didn't do since last year a dolphin came up to me , headbutted me off the bodyboard I was floating on and took it off to play with. While it was interesting and was hilarious to all who saw it happen, these are big wild animals and it was pretty scary having one pushing you around (she whacked a German tourist into hospital when he refused to submit his camera to her, she apparently liked things to play with).
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I'm not an expert by any means on climate change. One of the things that has been predicted is a cooling, possibly even a failing, of the Gulf stream, which would lead to worse winters in Europe and cooler summers. At this point, my understanding is that we won't see a constant trend in the changes, but that we are more likely to see more extremes, wild swings in the weather back and forth.

It sounds like your dolphin friend is well habituated to humans. I have read of several incidents where they just get too rough in their play, even with trainers who have worked with them for years. They are big animals who love the rough and tumble. Best viewed from the safety of a boat. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yeah, they are expecting the gulfstream to stop at some point so we'll get your kind of winter's here.

here's the dolphin incident, first she started circling me, put her head on the board made eye contact and funny noises. Then she pushed me away and took off with the board, followed by my son who was in stitches.

talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Some of those west coast dolphins can be extremely narrow minded.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:boggle: :o :boggle: That's an event I would only want to see from pictures. What an amazing thing! I'm sure others wish it had happened to them. I wish only the best to dolphins, but as you say, they are wild animals and big. I'm sort of surprised she knew that the board was not part of you, that she could take it away. But maybe she's been around there alot and learned about humans. Are the dolphins there all the time? Were you aware of them in the water this year? I would be scared to go back in even though the dolphin hadn't hurt me. I'm not very adventurous :lol: . Your son will have some good stories to tell someday---"I remember the time my dad and I ......".
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
missy

Post by missy »

well - new air compressor will be installed at 4:30 this afternoon. It was TOO bad last night. We have a whole house / attic fan, so we at least had air (although it was above 70F) moving in the house.

WHY do these things always happen on the hottest day of the year?
(I know, I know, my dad was a heating and air conditioning contractor for many years.......)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Well, we got 31°C in Bude today which is only 1.5 degrees below Bude's all-time high. It may seem modest to some out there but it's big stuff to us. We're so unaccustomed to this sort of thing that the only "air-conditioning" I can resort to is to throw off the 13.5 tog duvet, rendering myself into a not-pretty sight for my wife who has to get up before I do.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Steve

Reached 33 in sunny Larkhall. :swear: :swear:

Good for my diet - must have sweated off pounds. a nice pint of Doom Bar would be lovely right now.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

One good thing about the heat is that it really brings out the fireflies. I had quite a show last night before the rain came through. I like that they have such a sharp, clear, clean light, not just some hazy bit of fuzziness. I wonder if there's any luck associated with finding them. I need some help with the lotto. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

No record temperatures here at the moment although, after an unusually cold May and June it's setled into a pleasantly mild winter. Maximum day temperatures range from 16 to 24 C and it might drop to 8 at night, but usually only about 10.

Last December we had a record temperature for Wollongong—45 degrees C which I think would be 113 F. Wollongong is very humid, especially in summer, but that day was only about 70% fortunately.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It's supposed to be 103 here on Saturday.

Anyone else remember when the big news in all the science magazines was that we were headed for another ice age? (Come on, this was only in the late 1970s or early 1980s - somebody else must remember it!)
Charlene
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Steve

Reached 33 in sunny Larkhall. :swear: :swear:

Good for my diet - must have sweated off pounds. a nice pint of Doom Bar would be lovely right now.

David
A few years ago Saunton Sands, on the coast near Barnstaple in north Devon and backed by the huge Braunton Burrows sand-dune system, started to appear in the daily weather reports in the papers and it regularly tops the temperature charts for the UK on summer days (33° yesterday - they didn't mention Larkhall! :wink: ). I have my suspicions about Saunton's thermometer exposure. I don't know how strict the Met Office is, but I thought that standard exposure was in a screen four feet above short grass in a level, open site. Saunton always seems to be two or three degrees higher than other sites close by, though I did hear that RAF Chivenor, which is close by, also reported 33° yesterday.

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Wombat wrote:No record temperatures here at the moment although, after an unusually cold May and June it's setled into a pleasantly mild winter. Maximum day temperatures range from 16 to 24 C and it might drop to 8 at night, but usually only about 10.

Last December we had a record temperature for Wollongong—45 degrees C which I think would be 113 F. Wollongong is very humid, especially in summer, but that day was only about 70% fortunately.
When we were in Perth in early April 2005 we had a day when the thermometer hit 36°C, which is probably the hottest day I've ever experienced in my life, yet it felt remarkably comfortable because of the low humidity (it's a mere 25° here this morning but it's turned so humid suddenly that it's like being in a Turkish bath). We were amazed the next day when we read in the paper just how hot it had been. Just a few days earlier (it may have been April 1) the temperature reached just 15° and it poured with rain all day. I seem to remember that that was some sort of 20-year low for April!

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Charlene wrote:It's supposed to be 103 here on Saturday.
Already 103F here.
Charlene wrote:Anyone else remember when the big news in all the science magazines was that we were headed for another ice age? (Come on, this was only in the late 1970s or early 1980s - somebody else must remember it!)
I don't remember it from back then (I was too young) but I do recall being amused reading it in some science books that had been written in the 1970's.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

An Atlantic frontal system travelled over us this morning (we can see the weather coming from the kitchen window) it felt like it was going to be thundery for a while but not anymore. It's overcast and humid and the cool seabreeze of the past few days has been replaced by warm wind.

I am sure this will reach you shortly Steve :wink:
Walden wrote:
Charlene wrote:It's supposed to be 103 here on Saturday.
Already 103F here.
Charlene wrote:Anyone else remember when the big news in all the science magazines was that we were headed for another ice age? (Come on, this was only in the late 1970s or early 1980s - somebody else must remember it!)
I don't remember it from back then (I was too young) but I do recall being amused reading it in some science books that had been written in the 1970's.
Amusing as it may seem the latest predictive models have it that the 'heat pump' kept in motion by the gulfstream in the North Atlantic may just fail if the greenhouse effect continues. This would lead to a drop in temperature in the Northern hemisphere which could be just about enough to trigger an Ice age. So don't start laughing yet.