How Many Flutes in Your Collection?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
prunci
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by prunci »

After looking at recent posts on the whistle board, it's clear to me that whistlers are serious collectors. Does the same hold for flute players? How many arrows in your quiver, everyone? I've got an Olwell D bamboo and a Hamilton D on order (due any minute now).
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

I've got a dixon one piece pvc, and a Hamilton on order, also due any minute now.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Loren, this is your cue. :smile:

As for myself, I "only" own a Copley blackwood and a Seery polymer. And a bunch of Olwell bamboos and a Sunreed bamboo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2002-09-12 03:27 ]</font>
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I have a Seery delrin and a brandnew Hamilton D keyless :wink:
Stan

Post by Stan »

It's a Copley keyless blackwood for me.
Thanks Jessie and Loren.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stan on 2002-09-12 20:10 ]</font>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

For wooden / Irish flutes, I have

Seery keyless
M&E 6-key split-front (my workhorse flute)
antique cocus (?) probably German 8-key
Sweet maple Baroque flute
bamboo flute in G (by Erik? was a gift, not sure of the maker)

have a Hammy Hamilton on the way! :smile:

For Boehm-system flutes I have my Gemeinhardt 3SSB, and somewhere around my parent's house (in very decrepit condition by now, I'm sure) is the old Artley thing I first learned on, and which I haven't actually played or even seen for around a decade now.

There are bigger / better / more expen$ive collections, but I doubt there are any which bring their owner more pleasure to play.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I play the following:
Blackwood unkeyed Olwell in D
Blackwood unkeyed Grinter in D
Olwell bamboo in C
Olwell bamboo in Eb

I used to have a great Copley which I sold to Drummerboy. I think he likes it a lot. I did!

I also used to have an M&E in D with one key which I gave to Kardshark. It was a good flute but couldn't really compete with the others.

Best,
Chris
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-09-12 03:26, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Loren, this is your cue. :smile:

Well Jens, oddly enough I only own one flute - a flute I cannot play right now due to allergic reactions. How ironic is that?

A word of advice to those who buy potentially allergenic flutes (Cocus, Cocobola, Cooktown Ironwood...hey, these all start with the letter C!): If you have another flute that you're not allergic to, don't sell it for at least 6 months after you get your new flute - some allergies can take months to show up, as I've learned the hard way.

Wish I still had my Copley now....but I at least I know Mary is enjoying it :smile:

Stan, glad the Copley worked out for you, Dave makes a fantastic flute, doesn't he?

Loren
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

On 2002-09-12 09:41, Loren wrote:
Well Jens, oddly enough I only own one flute - a flute I cannot play right now due to allergic reactions. How ironic is that?
I sorta forgot you had sold every other flute you've once owned. Now, if this had been a "how many flutes have you played?" topic, <i>that</i> would have been your cue!

And really, <b>what a shame</b> about the cocus allergy, but can't something be done to eliminate the direct contact between the flute and your face?
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I know for a fact that I've got Loren beat in the "how many flutes have you played" category. Here's a list off the top of my head:
lots of Olwells
lots of Grinters
several Cotters
several Hamiltons
several Seerys
several M&Es
a Wilkes or two
a couple of Bryan Byrnes
at least two LeHarts
a handful of Sam Murrays
a Casey burns
a couple Sweethearts
two Copelands
a couple of Copleys
several Martin Doyles
a couple of Dixons
too many horrible Ganleys
a Healy or two
a Terry McGee
a Dave Williams
mmm... that about does it. :lol:
Best,
Chris
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

4 Flutes:

Hoza Cooktown Ironwood keyless D(no allergies after 1 year, yay)
Seery keyless D (I LOVE the sharpish edges on the holes, keeps my fingering secure)
Yamaha 581 Silver Boehm-style
Artley student Boehm-style

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thurlowe on 2002-09-12 12:05 ]</font>
rhodeirish

Post by rhodeirish »

I currently own an unkeyed Healy blackwood D flute and a Healy Cooktown Ironwood D flute. Dave Skillen is keying the Cooktown flute in time for the Wind On The Bay symposium.

I used to own an anonymous (but pretty nice) keyed German factory flute in D, a Terry McGee blackwood D flute, a Ralph Sweet maple C flute, and an anonymous rosewood baroque Franken-flute (it had been broken in the middle and then repaired). All of those were purchased and then subsequently sold via eBay.

I've played two blackwood Olwell's (keyed and unkeyed), the McGee, a Copeland in blackwood, a Tom Ganley (yikes), a delrin Seery, a delrin Cronnolly, and as of the day before yesterday, a keyless blackwood Copley in D.

John Harvey
WHO MADE MY FLUTE?
http://www.skiphealy.com/
==
WHAT DO I DO WHEN NOT FLUTING?
Visit Horror Author John D. Harvey
http://www.johndharvey.com/
==
LOOKING FOR IRISH NEWS / EVENTS IN RHODE ISLAND?
http://www.rhodeirish.net/
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Chris, since you've played a good few flutes i would appreciate your advice, or anyone elses. I am deciding between a few different flutes which one I will buying soon. I've sort of narrowed the list down to a Martin Doyle, a Hamilton and a Murray, (all keyless). WHICH WILL I GO FOR? :smile:
There won't be much of a wait for a Doyle, same for the Hamilton, and I live a couple of miles away from Sam Murray so I could pester him constantly! But which will be the better instrument?
I'd really like to know what people theink of Martin Doyles flutes as I can get one almost immediately.

Many thanks,

David
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

David -
My personal recommendation is to go for a Hamilton. They're mighty flutes at a great price with a short waiting list and Hammy is one of the nicest, most knowledgable makers I've met. He's also a mighty player. Just know that Hammy's flute, in my experience, are rough and tumble, knock 'em down and then stomp on 'em flutes all the way. They're loud, have a great big honking, growling tone, and are very, very responsive.

I don't have much experience with Sam Murray's flutes - not enough to say I know them very well. I have heard from a number of people that they are pretty tough to get started on, but once you figure the flute out they are quite nice. You could listen to Emer Mayock or Marcus O'Murchu to get an idea of what they can sound like. I've also heard about problems with him delivering the flutes - but since you live so close by you could hassle him from time to time.

The Martin Doyle flutes I tried were all unlined, untunable models being played by students at Willy Week. To my ear they had an absolutely lovely sound - probably a result of the complete lack of any metal in the flute - very rich, reedy and complex. However, they are non-tunable. I don't know anyone who plays a tunable Doyle flute, so I can't comment on them. I think perhaps Jessie Kislin, who sometimes frequents this board, has or had one. You might ask her. If you plan to go for a Doyle do ask around. Someone in your area has got to have played one. If you are unable to get in touch with anyone who plays them you might try contacting young Edward Looney (this years 15-18 whistle champion) in Killorglin, Co. Kerry. I haven't got his number handy at the moment.

I hope this is a help to you.

My two cents worth -
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-09-12 15:13 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My friend Terry Briley had a tunable Doyle flute. I have one that doesn't have a tuning slide. I do think the lack of metal makes for a rich sound. Mine has a celtic silver ring on it to prevent cracking at the tenon. It could be for sale if anyone is interested. I also have a Hammy flute, the only one ever made from Madagascar rosewood, that I'll be putting on ebay in a few days. At Boxwood this year, I saw THREE cracked Sam Murray flutes. I don't think they survive very well out of Ireland. I guess that doesn't matter for David, though.

Jessie