If I won the lottery my dream flute would be...............

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
maire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If I won the lottery my dream flute would be...............

Post by maire »

I was playing a game with a friend of mine recently, and she asked me what I would do if I won the lottery.
Would I stick to the same instrument, or would I go and splash out on a 'mega expensive, top of the range bespoke hand made flute'.
I thought about this for some time, and then I realised, that the instrument I have now is possibly the best one that I have ever played.
(Goodlad and Willis fully keyed circa 1832 London, cocus wood and fully stamped keys, bought for £500 11yrs ago)

Let me clarify that please: the best flute for ME not neccessarily for any one else. For starters, she has lovely small finger holes, all the keys seem to be very conveniently positioned for my personal stretch, and I absolutely love the tone from her. I wont deny that things between us have not always been so harmonious. She was a hard one to crack and it took about a year of solid playing before she opened up to me, like any burgeoning relationship - we had to work hard at it!

However, all the money in the world couldnt persuade me to part with my flute.
What do yo think?
Would you buy an expensive stomper, or be faithful to the one you already have? :-?
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: If I won the lottery my dream flute would be............

Post by dow »

maire wrote: Would you buy an expensive stomper, or be faithful to the one you already have? :-?
Hmm... I don't think I'd change what I have right now (still pretty new at all of this, and I tend to think that you should stick with the same instrument until you really get to know it and what you can get from it), but it would be nice at times to have some keys.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I wonder what mummy packed for my lunch today ......
Last edited by talasiga on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: If I won the lottery my dream flute would be............

Post by Cathy Wilde »

maire wrote:<snip>
However, all the money in the world couldnt persuade me to part with my flute.
What do yo think?
Would you buy an expensive stomper, or be faithful to the one you already have? :-?
:lol: I think I'm already trying to do both, tho' unfortunately, no lottery winnings are coming my way.

Seriously, I couldn't part with my little boxwood Murray, torn-up as it is. I just love that flute, and its not-torn-up keyless blackwood sister. The others .... well, I keep hanging on to them, too, for all kinds of crazy reasons. It's a good thing I'm not prettier, or I suppose I'd have 5 or 6 boyfriends (a couple of them cracked or leaky, too, alas) as well -- ARGH!

But I admit, I'm still after a six-key Olwell. There's just something about them that .....

And I'm avoiding antique flutes like the plague. If I go there, I'm afraid it's all over.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
nitterwhiskers

Post by nitterwhiskers »

I've always had my heart set on a McChud, I'm drawn to that formless beauty and unworldly tone. But on reflection a Paddy McChud is just too much of a flute for me, instead I'd hire a hitman to whittle down that long waiting list for a keyed Wilkes.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Does anyone else suddenly want maire's flute as much as I do? *sigh*

Actually, I love my antique 6-keyed boxwood. No matter what other flutes may come and go, I will always hold on to that one. It's from Robert Wolf & Co., c. 1840, refurbished by Olwell. Light as a feather, small finger holes, and a creamy dreamy sound. But I'm on the list for a keyed Olwell--three more years to go!

Carol
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'd probably go for a Cameron A. Grenser model one-key. Also, if I won the lottery I might be able to pay for the research for Olwell to make an 8-key for my wife.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
KateG

Post by KateG »

If I won the lottery, I might be tempted to play the field a bit.

But on the other hand, what I'd really like to do is build a house with a temperature and humidity controlled room that is large enough to store all our instruments and their accessories in a way that they are right at hand and host like minded friends over for congenial musical gatherings....and that is not 8 feet from a road beloved of motorcycle clubs like our current house (GRRR).
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I'd buy a R&R antique and have Jon C. fix it up.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

just for kicks, i'd have pat olwell make me a keyless. then i'd send the headjoint to Chris Abell and have him make a boehm-style fully keyed body.

heck, while i'm at it i'd order another fully keyed olwell. two has got to be better than one...
Brendan
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

then i'd send the headjoint to Chris Abell and have him make a boehm-style fully keyed body.
Well, you'd have a rather expensive flute from two top makers...with crummy intonation, since neither head nor body would have a taper. I guess these are the luxuries lottery winnings allow for!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Tintin wrote:
then i'd send the headjoint to Chris Abell and have him make a boehm-style fully keyed body.
Well, you'd have a rather expensive flute from two top makers...with crummy intonation, since neither head nor body would have a taper. I guess these are the luxuries lottery winnings allow for!
:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Tintin wrote:
Ever heard of a tapered Boehm flute?

For intonation, just have somebody make a tuner that always says you're right!! :D
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I would buy a wood Powell, and get a keyed body for my Bleazy.
And a beer, also.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
daiv

Post by daiv »

i'd use the money to buy my concertina that'll be ready in 3 years, which would spare up some cash for an olwell, which would mean i would have to buy a copley and a mcgee and a hamilton to tide me over for the eternal waiting list. that would mean that i probably would need to spend less time reading the forums because i would have more instruments to practice. i would hire someone to read the chiffboard and other forums, summarize the interesting things for me, as well as take the initiative and make the type of reply i would have made.