Cold Stone Creamery

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote: my son ... has a Mexican Strat but wanted to look at others, as I did (I like fooling around with eelectric geetars).
Fuhget the Strat,
get 'im one o' these!

Now that's a fine instrument!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote: I can get really bugged by store clerks who won't leave me alone, to the point of stomping out. Quite a few of them though, I think, have been told how to act and their bosses might be standing nearby.
This reminds me of when Beth and I went into a shop to look for a suit for me for our wedding.

The first shop we went in, the manager (!) came over as soon as we were in the door and asked if we needed help. I said I needed to look around first. As soon as I started to look at a suit, he came over again and started to offer more help. At this point I told him I hadn't had time to look properly, and we walked out. He looked suprised, but I hope I taught him a valuable lesson, which is:

When the customer says they need time to look around, give them time to look around. When they are ready for help, they will ask.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Flyingcursor wrote:I also can't stand restaraunts where the "servers" are required to crouch down and talk as if they are your psychiatrist.

My most memorable experience was when a bunch of us from work went to a local Brann's for lunch. The waitress, (or "server"), came and actually sat down at our table.
I get irritated at the ones in a nice resturant, where its quiet and you can actually hear people talk, that start with "Hi, I'm <fill in name> and I'll be your server tonite...and the special is...
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

fel bautista wrote:I get irritated at the ones in a nice resturant, where its quiet and you can actually hear people talk, that start with "Hi, I'm <fill in name> and I'll be your server tonite...and the special is...
Yeah, I HATE when they say "tonite". I tell them, "I can hear it when
you drop the -gh- and add that -e, you know..."
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Flyingcursor wrote:I also can't stand restaraunts where the "servers" are required to crouch down and talk as if they are your psychiatrist.

My most memorable experience was when a bunch of us from work went to a local Brann's for lunch. The waitress, (or "server"), came and actually sat down at our table. Then while bantering on about her boyfriend or something she drooled. Not just a little drool but a huge drool. Somehow I thought it was all over the top.
There's a restaurant that I frequent in the Charleston area, and most days I get the same dude taking my order, and probably seven times now over the course of six months he's told us it's his birthday. I don't hold it against him because he's a good waiter and doesn't patronize me with the psychiatrist-crouch. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote: The waitress, (or "server"), came and actually sat down at our table. Then while bantering on about her boyfriend or something she drooled. Not just a little drool but a huge drool. .

Oooooo! I feel woozy!
a.mellifera

Post by a.mellifera »

I used to work at Borders Bookstore and if we did not greet every single customer we would be reprimanded. For a while the manager's thing was that we could not ask a question that could be answered "yes" or "no," so instead of "Are you finding everything alright" or something equally benign, we had to ask, "What can I help you find today?" The managers would hide behind bookshelves and do an "on-the-spot" review, and if we did not ask the right questions, we failed. I hated it, and consequently I no longer work there.

Getting in the customer's face does reduce shoplifting, but I suspect that it also drives away good customers. On the other hand, I don't know how many people I encountered in the book store who never would have asked for help, but had no idea what they were looking for.

Like many of you, I hate being confronted by salespeople demanding to know what I am looking for, and generally leave the store when the salespeople get too pushy.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

a.mellifera wrote:I used to work at Borders Bookstore and if we did not greet every single customer we would be reprimanded. For a while the manager's thing was that we could not ask a question that could be answered "yes" or "no," so instead of "Are you finding everything alright" or something equally benign, we had to ask, "What can I help you find today?" The managers would hide behind bookshelves and do an "on-the-spot" review, and if we did not ask the right questions, we failed. I hated it, and consequently I no longer work there.

Getting in the customer's face does reduce shoplifting, but I suspect that it also drives away good customers. On the other hand, I don't know how many people I encountered in the book store who never would have asked for help, but had no idea what they were looking for.

Like many of you, I hate being confronted by salespeople demanding to know what I am looking for, and generally leave the store when the salespeople get too pushy.
I can just imagine how awful it would be to have to ask a question that didn't seem right with a manager spying on you! When people say a sort of goofy phrase---like "What can I help you find?" instead of the simpler and very adequate "May I help you?"----you can almost tell they are being forced to say it. I always am polite on the first questioning by a salesperson, because I know they have to do it. I don't consider the first question to be in my face. It's just when they go on to more once you have indicated you aren't ready for help, and usually I think those people are selling on commission (and they aren't very good salespeople actually) or own the shop.

A few times I have had some difficulties with clothes and finally asked for help even though I dreaded it. I have really found that the saleswomen can help a great deal, particularly if they are about the same age as I am.

The same goes for bookstores. In the Borders in Des Moines I've had the salespeople walk great distances here and there looking for a book that I want and they know they have but has been put in an odd spot. I don't recall them coming up to me in Borders, but if they do I will be sure to answer their question with a really long answer so they pass the manager's test!!!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I don't recall them coming up to me in Borders, but if they do I will be sure to answer their question with a really long answer so they pass the manager's test!!!
Just ask them where the smut is. :wink: :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cynth wrote: I have really found that the saleswomen can help a great deal, particularly if they are about the same age as I am.

The same goes for bookstores. In the Borders in Des Moines I've had the salespeople walk great distances here and there looking for a book that I want and they know they have but has been put in an odd spot. I don't recall them coming up to me in Borders, but if they do I will be sure to answer their question with a really long answer so they pass the manager's test!!!
Our local Borders is one of those places where I'm continually accosted by salespeople, but to where I continue to return because when I AM in need of help, their service has usually been first rate (at the store near where I live, at other locations I've found the opposite).

For a long time before I was married, I used to frequent a Barnes and Noble because one of the saleswomen there (who happened to be one of those overbearing salespersons) was extremely attractive, yet very gullible. She'd always approach me asking if I needed assistance, and I would come prepared with a nonexistant item for her to look for :D :P .
After about four months of that, I was able to spring a nice series of dates with her.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Cold Stone Creamery

Post by FJohnSharp »

Lambchop wrote:OK. I went there. Never been there before.

I thought it was kind of nice. Upscale, for ice cream. Tasty product, pleasant decor. Etc.

The key word here being "upscale."

So, here's my question: If you've been to one of these places, were there incredibly perky employees -- clearly high school -- who would, in the smack dab middle of preparing orders, scream . . . in unison . . . "HI! WELCOME TO COLD STONE!" ?

And did they, also in the smack dab middle of preparing other people's orders, stop everything to . . . do sports-style cheers? With the words "Cold Stone" inserted everywhere there should be, say, "Toledo High?" At the top of their lungs?

I mean, seriously, they cheered. Had there been one more of them, I'm sure they would have made a human pyramid. They jumped -- still holding onto those paddles they use to scoop the ice cream around -- and danced behind the counter.

Frankly, I thought it unsafe. What if they slipped on that wet floor? Not to mention unnerving. Who would have thought such a nice place came with . . . clamor.

Even the "perky" bit was pushing it, I thought, but sheesh! the cheers! Gack!

One middle-aged man's wife snatched up her ice cream and bolted for the tables outside, but . . . I swear . . . he came back to watch another cheer, and the young ladies indulged him with two.

Is this normal? Do they do this at all of these places?
I don't care if they sing, dance, tumble, or play a recorder, as long as they bring me my Peanut Butter Perfection before it melts.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

FJohnSharp wrote:

I thought it was kind of nice. Upscale, for ice cream. Tasty product, pleasant decor. Etc.

So, here's my question: If you've been to one of these places, were there incredibly perky employees -- clearly high school -- who would, in the smack dab middle of preparing orders, scream . . . in unison . . . "HI! WELCOME TO COLD STONE!" ?

And did they, also in the smack dab middle of preparing other people's orders, stop everything to . . . do sports-style cheers? With the words "Cold Stone" inserted everywhere there should be, say, "Toledo High?" At the top of their lungs?

I mean, seriously, they cheered. Had there been one more of them, I'm sure they would have made a human pyramid. They jumped -- still holding onto those paddles they use to scoop the ice cream around -- and danced behind the counter.

Frankly, I thought it unsafe. What if they slipped on that wet floor? Not to mention unnerving. Who would have thought such a nice place came with . . . clamor.

One middle-aged man's wife snatched up her ice cream and bolted for the tables outside, but . . . I swear . . . he came back to watch another cheer, and the young ladies indulged him with two.

I don't care if they sing, dance, tumble, or play a recorder, as long as they bring me my Peanut Butter Perfection before it melts.
Gasp! :o
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yeah, I know.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

FJohnSharp wrote:

OK, I would have to leave if they did that.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I'm surprised none of you
Cold Stoners mentioned this contest:
CLICK--->Image
Shakes for life! That's not bad.

Shake, shake, shake, shake your booty, Lamby! :lol:
CLICK--->Image
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca