Copeland High-D/ Low-D Breath Requirements

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mj23

Copeland High-D/ Low-D Breath Requirements

Post by mj23 »

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum here and new to whistles in general. Though I'm essentially a rank beginner, I've fallen in love with the sound of both the Copeland High-D and Low-D whistles. I've got the money to invest in them, but I've heard comments that these whistles are not for beginners because of the breath requirements (capacity, control, etc.).

I don't think I'll have a problem because I have played classical clarinet for the last seven years and have developed very good breath technique. I am wondering what you guys, and gals, have to say about this idea. Though the clarinet and the whistle are vastly different instruments, in your opinions as avid whistlers, could I deal with the breath requirements based on my clarinet experience?

Appreciate any help with this question.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

If you put in the time to practice, it won't be a problem. Their fun whistles to play, and you can orde them with lower breath requirements now, I understand. If you will be playing ITM, the whistles will force you to learn when to breathe in a tune.
/Bloomfield
lenf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Copeland High-D/ Low-D Breath Requirements

Post by lenf »

mj23 wrote:Hey Guys,...in your opinions as avid whistlers, could I deal with the breath requirements based on my clarinet experience?
Hi Mike,

There seems to be a malfunction with your keyboard, because when you typed "rab" up there, it came out as "av." Probably a virus or something.

Anyway, as a once classical clarinetist myself, I think you'll find the breath requirements of the Copeland whistles well within your capacities. It's all the beer that's more likely to give problems.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Bloomie's right on. Very nice whistles.

If you want to test yourself, get a standard Shaw high D and see how you do. The breath requirement is similar.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'd put the breath requirements of a standard Copeland D whistle somewhat below a Shaw, probably just a tad below a Clarke; much more than a Gen-type whistle, and a lot more than a Weasel-type. The Copeland, though, will reward you with a lot more sound than a Shaw or Clarke. Once you master it (which I never did), the sound just jumps out of a Copeland as it does from no other whistle. There's a certain pop to it that's unique.

The requirements of the low-D are pretty normal. You'll have to move a lot more air than through an Overton, about the same as a Burke, less than a Shaw. To the player the sound of the Copeland low-D isn't that different from other low whistles, but to the listener there's, again, something other whistles don't have. Not sure what it is, but it's cool.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

chas wrote:I'd put the breath requirements of a standard Copeland D whistle somewhat below a Shaw,
Yup, I just played my Shaw and Copeland High D. The Copeland is below the Shaw. I did confirm that they do have a similar response/feel thing going on.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
wjb_100

Post by wjb_100 »

Hi Mike - please check your PMs.

Regards, Bill
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second the above.

Challenging but doable, especially as you have
a woodwind background.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Breath requirements are one thing, but consider ear-protection requirements :D Copeland high Ds can be, literally, painfully loud - perhaps more painful for listeners than the player.

I've never liked being in a session with a Copeland high D in it, and last year I very reluctantly had to give up my place in an otherwise lovely session in E Durham because of a fellow sitting behind me playing one. (I suppose I could have asked him to put the effing thing away but wasn't in the mood for it.)

If you order a high D, consider asking for one voiced to be quieter than the norm. Your hearing is precious and easily damaged. (This doesn't apply to the low Ds, which are lovely and mellow.)

Steve
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I'm another one that played clarinet on and off for about 8 years before discovering the whistle. While I've never tried a Copeland, Clarke's and Shaws have never been any kind of a problem for me at all.
chowdah

copeland high d

Post by chowdah »

I play a chieftain non-tunable high D and it's really loud. Blows away anything I have including a Silkstone allow high D.

Do you think the copeland is louder? I'm about to buy a copeland because I've heard such good things about them.

thanks,

~chris
chowdah

Post by chowdah »

By the way, I was a saxophone player for most of my youth and college. My only issue with switching to the whistle is controlling vibrato which I do with my lungs instead of my lips--kind of like singers do.

They say that you can use your lower fingers to create vibrato, but in my view, it sounds terrible.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No, the copeland is less loud at the top of the second octave,
thankfully. It's a loud whistle and needs to be played
accordingly, however IMO it's far better than
the chieftain.

Finger vibrato takes some developing but is less
important on the whistle than on the Irish flute.
twistedfingers

Post by twistedfingers »

chas wrote:The requirements of the low-D are pretty normal. You'll have to move a lot more air than through an Overton, about the same as a Burke, less than a Shaw.
My Copeland low D takes quite a bit less air than my Overton, but with less back pressure (if that's possible :oops: ) or at least that's my feel for it in that my phrases are longer, and needs less encouragement in the second octave. Is there a lot of variation in Copeland voicing then? Also I always wondered where the 'cosmic drainpipe' label came from until my Copeland arrived :lol:
Andy
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

mj23...
You should have little trouble with the Copeland Low D. I once tried a Shaw Low D (as well as other keys...) and could hardly play it at all! The Copeland Low D requires less breath-power, in general, than all the Shaws I tried. And the sound that comes out of my Copeland is brassy-brilliant-mellow-WOW. A beautiful and powerful whistle!

As with all new instruments, there is a steep learning- curve...and with a Copeland, the breath learning and the fingering learning will take effort. But you should be fine. Good luck. Welcome. Enjoy!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?