Gnocchi

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Flyingcursor wrote:StevieJ's entry is far more preferable.
Yes Nigella's are impressive.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I have a friend/classmate who works under a chef in a restaurant. He told me that even though Rachel Ray is hot as fire, that she is to cooking what Britney Spears is to music.

This little wikipedia section could have been written by him, from the I hear him tell it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_Ray#Criticisms
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Lol, Steve...

Here is a cool page with a gnocchi recipe, with browned butter and sage (the proper way).

I got that link from Wikipedia, which also gives the following interesting trivia:
In Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, countries where Italian cuisine is especially popular, gnocchi (known as ñoquis and nhoque, respectively) are traditionally eaten on the 29th day of each month. This was the day before payday, when people were at their poorest. Gnocchi made a cheap and hearty meal. On these occasions, some people leave a banknote under the plate to attract prosperity. Now in Argentine communities outside the country, Argentines gather each month for "ñoquis del 29".

In a curious reversal of meaning, in Argentine slang ñoqui has also become a way to denote a government employee that is listed in the payroll but only shows up to collect his or her paycheck around the 29th of each month.
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

StevieJ wrote:
Pet hates in the massacring of Italian by English speakers: people who say "brooshetta" and "would you like a biscotti with your laahtay?"
This coming from a guy who lives in a country where they pronounce "pasta" like it's just the word "past" with an "-a" stuck on the end. :wink: (Which sure, that's how it's spelled, but that ain't how any Italian would say the word.)

If you pronounce "bruschetta" properly around here, your server is likely to just stare at you, perplexed, or to write down your order while pointedly saying out loud, "One order of broo-shet-ta", to gently "correct" you.

A friend of mine went to a cafe in Italy and ordered a latte, as you would in a cafe here. The server kept asking him, "Are you sure? A latte? That's all?", looking puzzled, and my friend kept saying yes, yes, just a latte please.

So eventually they gave him a big glass of milk. He was embarassed enough that he drank it, and left.
Cranberry wrote:From now on I am going to start calling spaghetti plural.
"I'd like a big plate of plural, please." That doesn't seem right.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"The gnocchi are lacking their wonted and proper butter and sage."

"This gnoccho is undercooked."

"Spaghetti can be checked for doneness by seeing if they stick to a wall when thrown."

"Wanna see me eat this spaghetto through my nose?"

I hope this clears that up.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:Lol, Steve...

Here is a cool page with a gnocchi recipe, with browned butter and sage (the proper way).
Must try it! Thanks.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Lol, Steve...

Must try it! Thanks.
In Italian cooking, simplicity reigns. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Cranberry wrote:I have a friend/classmate who works under a chef in a restaurant. He told me that even though Rachel Ray is hot as fire, that she is to cooking what Britney Spears is to music.

This little wikipedia section could have been written by him, from the I hear him tell it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachael_Ray#Criticisms
Don't even get me started about Rachel Ray. The best adjective I can come up with is ubiquitous.

PS. I was in a hurry when I typed the gnocchi post. Certainly it's plural. I even useta speaka decent Italian. That's the language I studied in high school instead of French or Spanish..
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cranberry wrote:I have a friend/classmate who works under a chef in a restaurant. He told me that even though Rachel Ray is hot as fire, that she is to cooking what Britney Spears is to music.

To be fair, Rachel Ray doesn't consider herself a chef, and freely admits that she's completely unqualified to be one..

http://tinyurl.com/m3j85
If she has any nervousness about moving out of the kitchen and into broader lifestyle entertainment, she's not showing it. She jokes that she's been ``grossly unqualified'' for every job she ever had.

``When people are sick of me, they'll let me know and I'll go away,'' she says, ``and that's that.''
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:
To be fair, Rachel Ray doesn't consider herself a chef, and freely admits that she's completely unqualified to be one..
Well he did say she is to cooking what Britney Spears is to music! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Gnocchi

Post by oleorezinator »

Bloomfield wrote:Why does all Gnocchi here seem to be served with bolognese sauce (meat) or with aurora sauce (creamy tomato)?

The only true way of eating Gnocchi is with melted butter and sage, of course.

Must I travel to Italy to get it? Oh, bother.
bloomio! ascolti me! is Salsa Genovese too high falootin' for you? :D
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Genovese is not for gnocchi. The pesto is too strong.

Burro e salvia. Basta.
/Bloomfield
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

There is one sauce in my town. It is bright red with hamburger in it. You guys don't know when you're well off :lol: . Aurora sauce!!! I sincerely doubt they have that even in Des Moines! I'd never even heard of it. Gnocchi! I've seen some lovely pictures of them.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:"Spaghetti can be checked for doneness by seeing if they stick to a wall when thrown."
That's not right, Nano. There is no way that would work. You're supposed to throw it onto the refrigerator. If it sticks to the fridge, then it's done.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

izzarina wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:"Spaghetti can be checked for doneness by seeing if they stick to a wall when thrown."
That's not right, Nano. There is no way that would work. You're supposed to throw it onto the refrigerator. If it sticks to the fridge, then it's done.
No, throwing it at the wall does work. But you need to take it down right away. If you let it dry there and then take it off, the paint on the wall will come with it. Proven by experience.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca