Spiral Galaxy NGC 2403 from Subaru

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Spiral Galaxy NGC 2403 from Subaru

Post by Denny »

scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

And so it begins: NASA, always short on funds, is finally selling sponsorships. Tomorrow's APOD will be "Great Hercules Globular Cluster from Wal-Mart."
:wink:

(Okay, it's just the name of the frickin' telescope. But that was my first thought when I read the thread title. Sue me.)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

scottielvr wrote:And so it begins: NASA, always short on funds, is finally selling sponsorships. Tomorrow's APOD will be "Great Hercules Globular Cluster from Wal-Mart."

(Okay, it's just the name of the frickin' telescope. But that was my first thought when I read the thread title. Sue me.)
My first thought was-- how the heck did someone get that time exposure pic through the sunroof of their Subaru? :P
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

brewerpaul wrote:
scottielvr wrote:And so it begins: NASA, always short on funds, is finally selling sponsorships. Tomorrow's APOD will be "Great Hercules Globular Cluster from Wal-Mart."

My first thought was-- how the heck did someone get that time exposure pic through the sunroof of their Subaru? :P
Hey, man, they're working miracles with that all-wheel drive nowadays! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

"Subaru" means "The Pleiades" in Japanese (look at the Subaru logo and you'll see the star cluster, although I think they only have five stars in there).
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

bradhurley wrote:"Subaru" means "The Pleiades" in Japanese (look at the Subaru logo and you'll see the star cluster, although I think they only have five stars in there).
Oh,! I've always wondered about that logo, thanks!

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

bradhurley wrote:"Subaru" means "The Pleiades" in Japanese (look at the Subaru logo and you'll see the star cluster, although I think they only have five stars in there).
you wanna talk cars? batten down your hatches. :twisted: :D :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Well of course, a lot of people also say that "Subaru" is just a backwards spelling for "U R a Bus," which could certainly apply to that new SUV they trotted out (I have yet to see one on the road, so I imagine they're not selling very well).

Back to the stars, though...I see they have six, not five stars on their logo, which might mean the owners of Subaru didn't have good enough eyesight to see seven. Apparently some American Indian tribes used the Pleiades as an eyesight test; if you could see seven or more you had really good vision. I once counted up to 22 stars in that cluster, but that was after a few too many beers.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

scottielvr wrote:"Great Hercules Globular Cluster from Wal-Mart."
Tomorrow's APOD: Pepsi presents "open space"!
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:
scottielvr wrote:"Great Hercules Globular Cluster from Wal-Mart."
Tomorrow's APOD: Pepsi presents "open space"!
I thought that was Virgin Galactic's endorsement... :P
djm

Post by djm »

Tyler Morris wrote:I thought that was Virgin Galactic's endorsement
They may be galactic but ..... :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I've been to Subaru, odd little world, that,

Verp Tlethl
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

"When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything, the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks."
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

So what happened to Deep Space Nine??
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

fel bautista wrote:So what happened to Deep Space Nine??
It was deep-sixed by Halliburton.