How many flutes does one person have/need?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"need" is an interesting term/concept...

I'd say one needs as many as one can *reasonably* afford and play... although "reasonably" is also an interesting term/concept... :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

LOTS! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

I have a polymer (M & E Rudall) that does everything I really "need" in a flute. Keys would be awesome, wood would be good, but there are so many tunes I have yet to learn, and so much technique and musicality that I can still learn on this flute, that I don't really "need" another one.

Which didn;t prevent me from ordering a nice big low flute about a year ago :D

But I tend to cycle through instruments of different classes rather than within a class. My last phase was electric guitars. I still have my one 6-string (Rickenbacker 330, natural - great guitar) but I sold my 12-string to finance my next flute.

My next one will be a keyed flute or a harp. Seriously. Haven't decided yet.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Wormdiet wrote: My next one will be a keyed flute or a harp. Seriously. Haven't decided yet.
How about a keyed harp? :lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Jon C. wrote:LOTS! :D
I hear ya, dude. Please, please don't tell me you're making keyed flutes. At least not 'til next tax year.

On a related topic, who else is itching to get on Loren's Guinea Pig list? C&F might be better than the NASDAQ (just kidding, Dale... I'm not into 'investing' and flogging tooters, except for ODG firewood. I'm now buying superglue and epoxy in bulk).
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I have a D flute (Burns), C flute (Sweetheart), and a Bb flute (Burns).
I also have a bunch of home made PVC and bamboo flutes, but I don't tend to count those.
I don't really use the C flute all that much, so I probably don't really need it, but I like to have it around just in case.
I would like to have one more D flute as a sort of backup flute/other option to play (keyless, and have more keys added to my Burns), but it'll be a long time before I could afford it.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Jon C. wrote:
Wormdiet wrote: My next one will be a keyed flute or a harp. Seriously. Haven't decided yet.
How about a keyed harp? :lol:
Well, y'know, levers, keys, what's the difference? :party:

I have my fancy-dancy concert flute (which I can actually make sound almost decent for irish music... I have a thick tone on the flute) And then I have my PVC E-flat thingy I made, except I screwed up on it so I have to use my pnnky to cover the last hole. Or maybe I just have wierd hands (I have long hands, but thin and not very flexible). Either way, flute is not my main instrument, though I oughta get/make a good one soon.
Flauta dolce

Post by Flauta dolce »

I had two Martin Doyles and I only ever played one of them. Now I have only one as I had misplaced the other.

I think you can only have one instrument (that you play all the time).

Of course, it's nice to have a few of them.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

After you can "play," I beleive that you might end up going through a few until you find the proverbial right pair of shoes. Perhaps, flutes in a few different keys if you fancy that.

On the other hand, if you're Mr. or Mrs. McMoney-Bags..Then anywhere between 20-65 flutes would be about right. If that's the case, you're required to by a 5 gallon container of Almond Oil to keep all the wood you get around to once a year (if that) from cracking.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is a recent image taken a short while back of what I have in the way of flutes. I never seem to have enough of these as I always have to send them away as soon as they are completed and thus I have to make more and more and more.

I feel like a wood worm sometimes - or something like that Mopane caterpillar to the left.

Casey

(p.s. these are all spoken for - so nobody get any ideas.......)

[/url]
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Two is good - because you can play them each every day, or play them each every other day, or play one to practice on and one in the session, or one for slow airs and one for fast tunes, or one for accompanying singers and one for solos...endless options!

Three is tricky and full of guilt - because the third tends to sit in the drawer only coming out when one of the others is off for it's annual holiday.

More than that and I would find it difficult to sleep at night too!

Happy fluting,

pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Casey, that's a jaw-dropping photo of some lovely work!

On a different subject, I don't guess you'd consider accepting bribes towards changing your avatar?!?

/me shudders....

--James
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

The McGee Flutes Research Collection runs to thirty five at last count. You can see them at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/collection.html

Terry
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I have a Cochran Blackwood keyless (thanks Doc and John - bought it from Doc who shipped it to Jon for a tune-up who shipped it to me to play!) I also have a Seery Delrin as a back up and for playing out in the woods or on the beach. And I have a Tipple which, I figure for the price, I'll just keep because I like it.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

how many flutes

Post by david quinn »

This is my collection of flutes. Hopefully will be adding some more to this shortly :)