A new Low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

I have a Reyburn and if you have small hands like mine it is a bit of a stretch to the lowest hole. I have to use my pinky on it where on my Kerry I can use a standar pipers grip. But as has been said the sound of the Reyburn is very nice.
Jetboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jetboy »

I would, without hesitation recommend Misha Somerville's MK
(www.jazzwhistle.com)

Absolutely the most beautiful looking and arguably knocks the Overton off its lofty perch in terms of the noise it makes. Check it out! Not cheap but worth every penny.
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

FWIW:
GFM will be making low whistles very soon now.... They will be just like the high whistles, but... low. <<<grin>>>
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

O'Brien has just announced that he's making low whistles. I have already ordered one. Look at them here.
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tommyk »

Played 'em all; owned quite a few.
For my money, NOthing beats an MK.
- Tommy Kochel

The Knotwork Band

www.theknotworkband.com
FaceBook: The Knotwork Band
theknotworkband@gmail.com
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If I was buying a low D at this time I would only consider an Overton or an Alba. I have played the Chieftain and the Songbird. But right now I am thinking more in the line of a flute for a low D.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

RonKiley wrote:If I was buying a low D at this time I would only consider an Overton or an Alba. I have played the Chieftain and the Songbird. But right now I am thinking more in the line of a flute for a low D.

Ron
If you want to buy a decent instrument for a great price, to get your feet wet in the flute universe, Doug Tipple does a very nice job in PVC.
http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dou ... index.html
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: A new Low whistle

Post by Loren »

bill wrote:I'm looking at buying a tuneable low D here pretty soon. I've been looking at either a kerry songbird, a chieftain, or an Overton. Does anyone have any opinions on the playability or sound of these whistles compared to each other. I noticed that the chieftain and the overton are close in price. I have a couple of cheap soprano whistles, as well as a low C sharp and a low F sharp bansuri that I picked up while I was in India, so this will be my first low whistle.

Hey Mods: Might I humbly suggest that, considering how often this question is asked, you perhaps consider making this a sticky topic? If ever there were a candidate for stickydom, "Which Low D should I buy?" surely ranks up at the very top of the list......

Loren
JS

Post by JS »

Ostekjeks wrote:O'Brien has just announced that he's making low whistles. I have already ordered one. Look at them here.

These look very interesting. Has anyone tried one? Is a tour in order?
Learning Piper
Location: Out of my mind for a minute. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Post by Learning Piper »

Since we're on the subject of low whistles, I am looking for a new one, and of course I have some questions. I have been playing a Tony Dixon PVC low whistle, and I want to upgrade. Found the Viper while looking over Mike Burke's site last night, and I like the sound clip. Anyone have any comments about the finger spacing? I plan to buy all most of the models that have been mentioned so far, but I'm not sure which one to get first. I like the MK comments that I've heard, and Phil Hardy's review really impressed me. The Rayburns sound amazing, but I don't know if it would really be an appropriate "workhorse", which is what I need at the moment. And then of course there is the Kerry Pro. Seems like an expensive, keep for ever kind of whistle. Any thoughts?
S. K. Cull

Dyslexics of the world; UNTIE!!... Or is it unite?... Nuite?..... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!