A new Low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A new Low whistle

Post by bill »

I'm looking at buying a tuneable low D here pretty soon. I've been looking at either a kerry songbird, a chieftain, or an Overton. Does anyone have any opinions on the playability or sound of these whistles compared to each other. I noticed that the chieftain and the overton are close in price. I have a couple of cheap soprano whistles, as well as a low C sharp and a low F sharp bansuri that I picked up while I was in India, so this will be my first low whistle.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

All of the ones you mentioned are very good. Pick the one that sounds best to you.

Best, John
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

I have a Chieftain low C, an Overton low D, and an Overton bass Bb. They are all great whistles. I have played other whistles, and they are good just a different voice. I try to avoid the question of if I could only choose one. I would rather have one of each.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Tommy wrote:I have a Chieftain low C, an Overton low D, and an Overton bass Bb.
That's the first I ever heard of a low Bb! Does that look something like the alphorn you see in the Riccola commercials? :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
PJA

Post by PJA »

I think the best tunable low D's are Kerry Pro(www.kerrywhistles.com) and MK(www.jazzwhistle.com). But each to their own.
Phil
Bloomfield

Re: A new Low whistle

Post by Bloomfield »

bill wrote:I'm looking at buying a tuneable low D here pretty soon. I've been looking at either a kerry songbird, a chieftain, or an Overton. Does anyone have any opinions on the playability or sound of these whistles compared to each other. I noticed that the chieftain and the overton are close in price. I have a couple of cheap soprano whistles, as well as a low C sharp and a low F sharp bansuri that I picked up while I was in India, so this will be my first low whistle.
My preference both in playability and tone is for the Overton, and for the money I'd rather have the handmade top-notch-quality Overton than the machined, mass-produced Chieftain (even if it is hand-finished by the maker). But that's just me, and I realize of course that people look for different things in whistles and that there are many who really like the Chieftains. If you are looking at the Kerry Songbird seriously, I would check out the Alba low Ds first (in fairness to Stacy O'Gorman), which is very similar. But again, that's what I would do and I don't suggest that it's what anyone else needs to do.
/Bloomfield
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've played all of these instruments, and they have different characteristics. But I would be hard-pressed to put their tonal differences into words. The Overton I have does take a bit more breath support, and sounds a little louder and more "open"..the Chieftain I have sounds a little more tight and a little sweeter. The Songbird was a bit airier. I liked the Alba low D I had most recently, but the C natural had tuning issues. Lately, I am playing the Overton low D in sessions, but carry the Chieftain when I'm out and about on my own. The finger stretch on the Overton is a bit more, and I find myself having to get used to it, lest I fail to seal well and get weak notes. But entirely worth the effort, IMHO

If you go to Phil's website at http://www.kerrywhistles.com/ go to "Phil Hardy Highs and Lows" in the CD section, and listen to the sample, that's pretty much what the Chieftain I have sounds like. I wish I could point you to a good Overton clip, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head..
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wanderer wrote:
If you go to Phil's website at http://www.kerrywhistles.com/ go to "Phil Hardy Highs and Lows" in the CD section, and listen to the sample, that's pretty much what the Chieftain I have sounds like.
And, be sure to check out the forums there while you're at it!

:wink:
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Dale wrote:
And, be sure to check out the forums there while you're at it!

:wink:
:P
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

About the same price? Not hardly. :)

Overton Tunable Low D US$260
Burke Low D Aluminum Viper US$220
Chieftain Tunable Low D US$205
Reyburn Low D US$200

You ask "Does anyone have any opinions on the playability or sound of these whistles compared to each other." yet you have already narrowed the choice down to two. Since this is your first post though, there should be no harm in me giving my opinion.

First, don't narrow your focus on just these two whistle makers. There are other good choices in the close to US$200 range. I added the Burke and the Reyburn because these are the two other Low D's which I have spent a little time playing. My opinion on anything else would be conjecture. In summary, the only whistle that betters the "you get what you pay for" cliche is the Reyburn. The comments following are based on these four whistles considered together, attempting to remain objective.

Chieftains, in the several keys I have played, are easy players - the low D being no exception. Low back-pressure, low breath requirement, pleasant rich voice, easy stretch for fingering. A good step into the world of Low D's.
Up-side: Not a lot of work (just exhale) to get a pleasant bell note, low relative price.
Downside: Easy to over-blow the bell note, not a lot of flexibility within a given note due to low back-pressure, lower volume.

Burkes also are easy players in general, and the Low D Aluminum Viper is a really nice whistle. A little back-pressure, medium breath requirement (medium/high breath required in the high end), a strident almost brassy voice in Aluminum (I've heard the composite is rich and warm) with good presence and volume, easy stretch for fingering and the turnable bottom hole is a bonus. Nice step into Low D's with room to grow - and a nice all around workhorse Low D.
Up-side: Nice voice with a strong bell note, very playable as it responds well to beginner ornamentation and even better as you gain experience, good value.
Downside: Hmmmmm. Nothing to add here. Anyone else?

Reyburns are interesting because the low and high whistles differ in character. Where the high whistles strike me as the Generation style nearly perfected, the Low whistles are in a class by themselves. Back-pressure and breath requirement are well balanced and increase from medium at the bell note and go upward with the note played, amazing complex voice that's both rich and haunting with medium volume, longest stretch on the fingering among the four. Though a bit more demanding in breath control and challenging in fingering, the price is the best value and the voice is sublime. Consider buying an affordable (maybe PVC) Low D to get a feel for the key, then stepping up to this puppy when you want more challenge and flexibility with a stunning voice.
Up-side: Amazing rich voice (like it has a bit of built in reverb) with good volume, ordering offset holes can reduce the fingering challenge.
Downside: Breath control is needed at the bottom end, fingering is more challenging than the others.

Overtons - are whistles no doubt - yet they are in a class by themselves. They are easy players in general when you get used to back-pressure, breath requirement is medium to high depending on how much you lean into it, the voice is like a focused whistle believing itself to be a flute with a breath from the ghost of classic spring reverb, easy stretch and great fingerability. If you've got the cash (and strong lungs), you could step into an Overton as a first Low D - you will not be red-lining this whistle's capacity for a long, long time.
Up-side: The back-pressure and wind-way focus the airstream to allow more flexibility than any of the four I listed. Just in the bell note with breath alone you can slide into a silky warm note, or bark into a focused powerful flute-like note. The voice is focused, rich, and sweet - or powerful depending on how you play it. It plays (fingering and ornamentation) easily.
Downside: Most expensive. Some people don't like the "cosmic drainpipe" sound of the Overtons.

Having owned and sold a few Low D's, I will say I know own a Reyburn and an Overton. Between a Chieftain and an Overton, if you really believe they are about the same price, I strongly recommend an Overton. I've grown in preference for the Overton as I gained experience (though still a beginner). Maybe noodling around with a flute a bit helped me form this opinion.

I'd be curious what Wanderer thinks when he picks up an Overton now that he's started concentrating on embouchure and focus. Has playing the flute made you appreciate the Overtons more?
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Wanderer wrote: If you go to Phil's website at http://www.kerrywhistles.com/ go to "Phil Hardy Highs and Lows" in the CD section, and listen to the sample, that's pretty much what the Chieftain I have sounds like. I wish I could point you to a good Overton clip, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head..
There are, in fact, several good Overton clips right there on Phil's website, if I am not mistaken, if you can spot them or know who plays what.
/Bloomfield
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi there bill,

Welcome to C&F! There aint no better place to round-out your understanding of whistles. As you may have noticed - the world of the low whistle is populated by some very keen and passionate players who absolutely love their whistles and have found fantastic support from the makers. You will not be dissapointed by any of the whistle makes mentioned in this thread.

My 2 cents is this: try them out! Find the perfectest whistle for you in person and allow the relationship to grow from there. It's not really about cost, it's about the symbiosis a player and instrument form to make good music. After you get the quality thing out of the way it's all personal.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Or you could just take a shot in the dark and get the one with the coolest name. That being the viper. :P
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Or a person could buy four low D whistles, and it would still be less than a grand piano. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

dfernandez77 wrote: I'd be curious what Wanderer thinks when he picks up an Overton now that he's started concentrating on embouchure and focus. Has playing the flute made you appreciate the Overtons more?
Well, I've only had the Overton a little bit--even less time than I've owned the flute--so I'm still getting used to it. And both flute and low whistle take a backseat to my high-whistle practice..i still practice something like 75%/15%/10% on whistle/low/flute. Maybe I'll have more to add when I have more time behind the flute :)