Can you see this?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Can you see this?

Yes!
74%
No!
19%
Other answer!
7%

Total votes: 42

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cool. Yeah, I'd never seen one of those moving. Gotta love computers, sometimes.

I just get my face somewhat close, maybe a little more than a hand's length (left my reading glasses on), initially focused behind the screen, let the pixelly box fill my vision, stopped any kind of attempts at focussing anywhere, and then let my eyes feel like they're going "flabby" or "melting". The shark soon materialises.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

I used to be able to do those. Don't have the patience now.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Its a trick. You just have to keep trying until you stumble over it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll reallize its no big deal, but until you cotton on to how to do it, it can be very frustrating.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do both eyes have to work well for you to see it?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I had to use reading glasses or it would have looked like a blur. I'm pretty sure my right eye's stronger than my left. So, I dunno. Maybe not.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I am nearsighted in one eye, far sighted in the other and I can see it if I get close, take off my glasses and let my eyes"go".
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I can't see it either, Cran. Although, I don't think I'm doing it long enough. It just makes me all dizzy trying to look at it for more than a few seconds :boggle:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Nanohedron wrote: I just get my face somewhat close, maybe a little more than a hand's length (left my reading glasses on), initially focused behind the screen, let the pixelly box fill my vision, stopped any kind of attempts at focussing anywhere, and then let my eyes feel like they're going "flabby" or "melting". The shark soon materialises.
I tried that.

Didn't happen. So I took off my glasses, focused both my eyes on the tip of my nose, tried to let my vision wander, held my breath in anticipation and very soon I could hear the theme from "Jaws" playing in my head.

Nearly there, try again tomorrow.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: I just get my face somewhat close, maybe a little more than a hand's length (left my reading glasses on), initially focused behind the screen, let the pixelly box fill my vision, stopped any kind of attempts at focussing anywhere, and then let my eyes feel like they're going "flabby" or "melting". The shark soon materialises.
I tried that.

Didn't happen. So I took off my glasses, focused both my eyes on the tip of my nose, tried to let my vision wander, held my breath in anticipation and very soon I could hear the theme from "Jaws" playing in my head.

Nearly there, try again tomorrow.
I tried all of that too...I was beginning to feel like I was having a bad acid trip or something :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

These things always give me a headache, with or without my glasses.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I couldn't see it at all without my glasses. Does that count?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I saw a shark. But I thought I saw another fish (or something long and thin) in front of the shark. Maybe a smaller fish.

I didn't remove my glasses. I just made sure I didn't focus and it came out very clearly.

Edited to add: first time arouund it wasn't moving—I have dial-up at home and images can be a problem. But second time it was moving and again I saw a shark and a fish in front of it, both moving.

I don't know what failure to see pattern shows. Tests with dots are used to reveal colour blindness but this is about depth perception.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yep. Depth perception is it. One of my Brothers-in-Law has Amblyopia, so he just can't see these yokes at all. Unless you have reasonable stereoscopic vision, it won't work.
Lambie, if you see them inside out it's because you are crossing your eyes the wrong way. Try putting your face up close to it.

It's the first time I've seen a moving one.
It gives me a headache, too.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I can see it (Never seen a moving one before either, very cool).

I have to wear my glasses, because I can't see anything without them.

Cran see if your library has a copy of a Magic Eye book, they teach you how to see them.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nice - never seen one moving either. Took me all of three seconds to see it.

There was a big craze of these some years ago (I saw my first one over ten years ago) and I've got several books of them. Some are easier than other to brign into focus.

I don't cross my eyes, I uncross them and focus way beyond the screen or page. I guess I'm used to looking through stuff.

I believe looking at these (if you can see them) is good exercise for the eye muscles.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing