US regional dialects

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
DavidT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DavidT »

fearfaoin wrote:...I have a friend from Asheville who can't seem to end a word in a fricative...
There are some things a true Southerner doesn't discuss in public. :wink:
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wormdiet wrote: My girlfriend says the word "across" as "acrossed" or "acrosst." Anybody able to figure that one out? She's from Maine, so that might have something to do with it.
I always thought of acrost as more of a Vermont thing; I've got a lot of family from Maine and NH, but it's only the Vermonters I've heard in that part of the country who say acrost.

To add to Brad's list of colorful phrases. From the South:

Busier'n a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest
Nervous as a cat covering up sh*t
Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs
'Bout as useless as tits on a boar hog

Some New Englandisms (not sayings so much as vocabulary):

got an edge on (drunk, strictly Maine AFAIK)
wicked (very)
pisser (beyond wicked, also used differently, mostly near Boston)
wind tunnel (airhead)

Non-geographic

As sharp as the leading edge of a basketball
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Congratulations wrote:
bradhurley wrote:Some people from Texas (and maybe other southern states) pronounce the word "mischevous" as "mis-CHEEV-ee-us."
Guilty. I grew up saying "mis-CHEEV-ee-us," because it was the only way I'd heard it pronounced. In high school, one of my teachers said "MIS-chiv-us" a few times, and I had no idea what she was talking about. I had to ask her what that word was (in private), at which point my backasswardness turned my cheeks a bright red.
Wow...I am hardly a southerner,and I think I've always said "mis CHEEV-ee-us". I didn't realize it was a regional thing...maybe it has something to do with most of my family being from the south.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:
bradhurley wrote:Some people from Texas (and maybe other southern states) pronounce the word "mischevous" as "mis-CHEEV-ee-us."
Guilty. I grew up saying "mis-CHEEV-ee-us," because it was the only way I'd heard it pronounced. In high school, one of my teachers said "MIS-chiv-us" a few times, and I had no idea what she was talking about. I had to ask her what that word was (in private), at which point my backasswardness turned my cheeks a bright red.
Merriam Websters calls "mis-CHEEV-ee-us" an accepted pronunciation.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=mischievous
Pronunciation: 'mis-ch&-v&s, 'mish-; ÷mis-'chE-vE-&s, mish-
(emphasis mine)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wanderer wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Merriam Websters calls "mis-CHEEV-ee-us" an accepted pronunciation.
(emphasis mine)
A pronunciation \mis-'chE-vE-&s\ and a consequent spelling mischievious are of long standing: evidence for the spelling goes back to the 16th century. Our pronunciation files contain modern attestations ranging from dialect speakers to Herbert Hoover. But both the pronunciation and the spelling are still considered nonstandard.
I can live with that.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
Mirriam Websters calls "mis-CHEEV-ee-us" an accepted pronunciation.
Merriam-Webster has succumbed to exhaustion. I wouldn't go so far as to call it accepted, but rather as being nonstandard but widespread in use. You hear it fairly often enough in the north, too.

But that's just me.

Edit: never mind, Wanderer. Just read the link. Note to self: peruse first, post later.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

MischievIous - Well, if it ain't, it orter be!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:
jsluder wrote: I admit that I'm completely ignorant about ASL. What comprises an "accent" in sign language? The use of slang? More (or less) exaggeration in hand motion? :-?
Well, if someone uses the sign for y'all a lot, we figure probably not a Massachussetts accent. If he uses the middle finger a lot we suspect Los Angeles or maybe New Jersey.
:lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

chas wrote: To add to Brad's list of colorful phrases...
More pathetic than a one legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

chas wrote:To add to Brad's list of colorful phrases...
I've always liked "Katie, bar the door!", but I don't know anyone who
really uses it anymore.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wanderer wrote: Merriam Websters calls "mis-CHEEV-ee-us" an accepted pronunciation.
(emphasis mine)
John Smith

Pronunciation: LUX-ur-ee YOT
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Wanderer wrote: Merriam Websters calls "mis-CHEEV-ee-us" an accepted pronunciation.
(emphasis mine)
That was the only way I'd ever heard it, growing up. But my grandmother was from Oklahoma (actually, a large percentage of her generation in our part of California were from Oklahoma or north Texas).

I was measured as "40% Dixie", FWIW. I'm surprised it wasn't higher - I grew up with a mixed California/Oklahoma dialect, and if I spend time in the south I revert to full-on "Oklahoma" (I get asked if I'm from Oklahoma or Texas - generally Texans guess "Oklahoma" and vice-versa)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well I just got 40% Dixie.

Many of the options were not what I would choose so I had to go with the closest..and I am a long way away.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I'm 41% Dixie, 59% Yankee...which is kind'a weird because I have no southern blood and was born in Pennsylvania. MAybe has to do with the fact that I live in Utah and the western dialect is kind of a melding of the two.

Or maybe I'm just taking this quiz wal too seriously.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

fearfaoin wrote:
chas wrote:To add to Brad's list of colorful phrases...
I've always liked "Katie, bar the door!", but I don't know anyone who
really uses it anymore.
The lady who sits next to me at work uses it. :)

I scored a 29%, for a solid Yankee rating. That was because I'd just come from speaking for an hour to some people on whom I wanted to make a good impression.

Ah'm bay-ack in mah comfert zone tuh-day, though. I ah-gree with "Ann" be-in' 2 syll'bles. My ree-al na-ame hay-as fahve syll'bles, thuh lay-ast 2 be-in' e-in "Ay-yun." Most ever'body cayn't get but 3 out uv th' whole blessit mess uv i-yit.