Poll: Can you hear this hideous noise?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Can you hear "The Mosquito" noise? Yes, you have to listen to it FIRST!

Yes, and I'm over 25.
38%
No, and I'm over 25.
56%
Yes, and I'm under 25.
6%

Total votes: 34

jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:
jsluder wrote:
izzarina wrote:Ok...that one from Wanderer KILLED my ears when it was on. And that was through my speakers. I'm glad I didn't have on headphones :o
I tried it with headphones and the volume cranked all the way up; couldn't hear a thing.
Wow...you must be REALLY old!!!!

:twisted:
Only physically. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:Weird. I can't hear any whine or squeal on either of the clips -- just the background noise in the first one, and nothing on the second one.
o.k. I'm confused. Nothing?
Yep, Wanderer's clip sounds like silence. That's on good monitor headphones, on my laptop which hs a much quieter audio output than most computers. Do bats make other sounds than that high-pitched chirping? It high, but not THAT high, maybe I was hearing the bass section only? I'll try listening to a few TVs. Or maybe my laptop is filtering my audio for some reason?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:Can anyone else hear bats? That noise is right up there with bats.

Since I have poor vision and bats are really fast, I used to walk through near-clouds of them in the early evening, but heard only a lot of high-pitched chirping. Until one flew right in front of my face one evening, I kept wondering why there were so many tiny birds still chirping and what kind they were.

At work, we have bats in several buildings, including the one I work in. Working late one evening, a guy from across the hall stopped by to say it was almost time for the bats to fly out for the night. I replied that I hadn't seen any, but thought there might be some, since I could hear a lot of chirping. He's since acted as though I were mildly possessed.
I can hear bats. They twitter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

BoneQuint wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:Weird. I can't hear any whine or squeal on either of the clips -- just the background noise in the first one, and nothing on the second one.
o.k. I'm confused. Nothing?
Yep, Wanderer's clip sounds like silence. That's on good monitor headphones, on my laptop which hs a much quieter audio output than most computers. Do bats make other sounds than that high-pitched chirping? It high, but not THAT high, maybe I was hearing the bass section only? I'll try listening to a few TVs. Or maybe my laptop is filtering my audio for some reason?
You may just be unable to hear it. The inventors of this claim that persons over 25 cannot hear it.

Most people I work with couldn't hear it. It sounded like nothing at all to them. Zilch. Nada.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'm so amazed.

I had my computer audio turned way up to hear lambchop's clip, then clicked on Wanderers and about blew out my eardrums....

And that's without headphones.

And I'm "old"

M
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

OMG!!! I hear....dead people!!!! :o :o
djm

Post by djm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Lambchop wrote:You may just be unable to hear it. The inventors of this claim that persons over 25 cannot hear it.
Well, of course. It's just that people were equating hearing this sound with hearing bats and the whine of TV transformers, which I CAN hear.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

BoneQuint wrote:
Lambchop wrote:You may just be unable to hear it. The inventors of this claim that persons over 25 cannot hear it.
Well, of course. It's just that people were equating hearing this sound with hearing bats and the whine of TV transformers, which I CAN hear.
Equating? Not to my reading. Incidental commentary, yes, but no equating.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:I can hear bats. They twitter.
Only when they're pixilated
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

izzarina wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I can hear bats. They twitter.
Only when they're pixilated
They do, the bats: they spatter
The screen of dusk
In heard pixels, soundbits beyond the grace of birds
Who are only brash beside them
How is it their batly chitterings sound
Like mildest sparkles, wheeling and flowing
As if schools of silvery air-fish?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I have real problems hearing high frequencies. I can't even hear women talk. So, hey, ladies: Email me.

Dale
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I blame rock and roll.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:
Right. I did not equate it to bats and transformers. They're just high-frequency sounds that I can hear. That Noise, though, seemed a lot higher in pitch.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Lambchop wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
BoneQuint wrote: Well, of course. It's just that people were equating hearing this sound with hearing bats and the whine of TV transformers, which I CAN hear.
Right. I did not equate it to bats and transformers. They're just high-frequency sounds that I can hear. That Noise, though, seemed a lot higher in pitch.
Well, it sounded like equating to me in these posts:
Lambchop wrote:
emmline wrote:I played the ringtone version for my 14 year old, on the iBook, which doesn't have good sound. He could absolutely hear it. Said it was a tv type of noise.
Yes. It's a noise I hear coming from electronic equipment.
And at least a strong correlation in others. So I hope you can understand my confusion. (I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've been away, and have re-stumbled upon this discussion).