All that glitters is not gold.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

talasiga wrote:All coffee beans are brown
But not all brown things are coffee beans

All gold glitters
But not all that glitters is gold
This is very much like "the bodyshop" style of advertising!....

"All the products in this store are not tested on animals"

(eh? but some of them could have been??)
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Cranberry wrote: So I've heard. I've never read Tolkien.

Perhaps I might I should, if only I had the time.

The amazing thing about people is that they nearly always make time to do what they want to do.

If you used 15 minutes of the time you waste here, you could get a lot of things done.
You never waste a second arguing on the Internet, do you?
Nope. No time I spend here is wasted. It is educational, entertaining, and relaxing. It is also dual-use time . . . if I'm here, I'm almost always dining or chilling out.

I work full time (40 hours) at one job, teach for another 20 hours, and have been holding down a half-time college course load with a 4.0 GPA. I still have to cook and clean, do laundry, shop, exercise, run errands, maintain the car, and do the occasional looking after of 2 elderly persons, one of whom lives 30 miles away. It's all planned out on a schedule, and right now I'm scheduling a week to two weeks in the future.

I pre-plan my wardrobe so that I don't have to do more than 2 loads of wash a week--although with summer now, I'll have to go up to 3 or 4. I never go to bed without showering so the sheets stay clean, and I dry the shower every time I use it so I don't have to clean it as often. My clothes are always pressed and my hair is always nice. I have, however, abandoned the practice of wearing makeup and nylons on a routine basis.

I have curtailed most of my social life, and I watch TV for 1 hour on Friday night (Dr. Who). I play my flute, and I read a few pages of a trashy novel most nights on my way to sleep.

Believe me, with a schedule like that, arguing on the internet is one of the great joys of my existence. :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

God help us.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:God help us.
Don't get your hopes up...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Denny wrote:
Don't get your hopes up...
Yeah. Look what happened to the dude who asked for help with a lion.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

scottielvr wrote:
Mitch wrote:Yes, when I first read that, I did ponder the total boolean exclusion - meaning that gold never glitters. = to absolute set "gold" apply absolute negation of property "glitter". Since the poem was set in the absolute context "of Aragorn" I took the line to communicate that Aragorn was keeping a low profile i.e. not glittering and being in a reduced context did not apply to anything else that might be gold and not electing to be covered in crud. ;). That's assuming Tolkien was the pre-eminent language stallwart he is painted to be.
Your commendably relentless application of Boole to Shakespeare and now Tolkien reminds me of E.B. White's remark about humor: ...[in these cases, the poetry] "can be dissected, as a frog can, but the thing dies in the process and the innards are discouraging to any but the pure scientific mind." :lol:
Thanks Scottie :) Also thanks to Bloomie and Tal -

The statement "All that is gold does not glitter" means exactly "Nothing that is gold glitters". The application to Boole in resolving meaning in any syntactical construct is essential to clear communication. Context must be present to frame any modification to a dichotemy. In absence of any such context, no assumptions should be made. I watch and listen as 99% of everything said or written is not understood. It's entertaining, but it teaches me that people are not in control of themselves and get controlled by default "contexts". These "contexts" are otherwise known as "fashion". Hence all is vanity - few folks know who's hand is on their scrote. It realy dosn't matter much - even when you are scrupulous with your syntax, the default becomes habit - I actually watched a TV news show for the first time in 4 months and was suprised at the paucity of language in it - nothing was actually communicated - I larfed to think that only a few months ago, I actually believed that they had anything to say. These days I like to talk to C&Fers and currawongs, the C&Fers can at least string a sentence together, the currawongs have their chicks out teaching them to forrage and sing - I love their language.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

Indeed, help us.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:
Indeed, help us.
Praying is good, Cran, but nothing beats a little practical training in time management and personal organization.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
The amazing thing about people is that they nearly always make time to do what they want to do.

If you used 15 minutes of the time you waste here, you could get a lot of things done.
You never waste a second arguing on the Internet, do you?
Nope. No time I spend here is wasted. It is educational, entertaining, and relaxing. It is also dual-use time . . . if I'm here, I'm almost always dining or chilling out.

I work full time (40 hours) at one job, teach for another 20 hours, and have been holding down a half-time college course load with a 4.0 GPA. I still have to cook and clean, do laundry, shop, exercise, run errands, maintain the car, and do the occasional looking after of 2 elderly persons, one of whom lives 30 miles away. It's all planned out on a schedule, and right now I'm scheduling a week to two weeks in the future.

I pre-plan my wardrobe so that I don't have to do more than 2 loads of wash a week--although with summer now, I'll have to go up to 3 or 4. I never go to bed without showering so the sheets stay clean, and I dry the shower every time I use it so I don't have to clean it as often. My clothes are always pressed and my hair is always nice. I have, however, abandoned the practice of wearing makeup and nylons on a routine basis.

I have curtailed most of my social life, and I watch TV for 1 hour on Friday night (Dr. Who). I play my flute, and I read a few pages of a trashy novel most nights on my way to sleep.

Believe me, with a schedule like that, arguing on the internet is one of the great joys of my existence. :D
Wow. I can barely remember to floss and change my socks.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Indeed, help us.
Praying is good, Cran, but nothing beats a little practical training in time management and personal organization.
Sure. Mmm-hmm. That's right. Isn't that nice?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Put a sock in it. Both of you. Any more of this and I'll stop the car and you can get out and walk.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cranberry wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
Cranberry wrote: Indeed, help us.
Pssst-- Lambchop. You are no longer invisible to Cranberry. He's watching you.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jack

Post by Jack »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Lambchop wrote: Praying is good, Cran, but nothing beats a little practical training in time management and personal organization.
Pssst-- Lambchop. You are no longer invisible to Cranberry. He's watching you.
Not at work, anyway. I hereby shove a sock in it, HARD.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

gonzo914 wrote:Pssst-- Lambchop. You are no longer invisible to Cranberry. He's watching you.
You, too, my friend! I'm afraid we may have to hang some curtains. How's your needlework?
Jack

Post by Jack »