Spitless in Chicago

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

Dale wrote:I think we're fine here. Thanks for your consideration of my paranoia.
as long as we are ok...

why dont you try hydrating before the session? just with exercise and being in the hot sun, it is important to hydrate during. many times, however, it is important to hydrate beforehand as well.

try having a full glass of water before you leave for the session and have one at hand during the session. if it doesnt work, maybe try an extra one at some point during the day as well.

sometimes eating too close before i play makes my mouth water, but of course i always brush my teeth / rinse my mouth out before i play. so maybe you could eat something that might make your mouth salivate. anyone have any suggestions? i seem to recall fruit pastilles being devastating for my playing.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Carol... Is your whole mouth going dry or just the front part making your lips too dry with your tone then going south? If so, it can be solved with learning how to quickly lick your lips while your are playing.

If it's nerves... Nerves, no matter how much water you take in can keep you dry no matter what. Only cure that I know for that is more experience playing in front of people. (I fall victim to this... I have a 40 minute performance coming up where I'm sure I'll struggle a bit with this...)

Part of my dry mouth issues I'm sure comes from too much coffee!

When I perform I drink bucket loads of water before and during...

Best,
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

This thread gave me a thought about Whistles, I wonder if doing things that make ones mouth dry would have an impact on clogging. Anybody tried it?
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Unseen122 wrote:This thread gave me a thought about Whistles, I wonder if doing things that make ones mouth dry would have an impact on clogging.
Clogging is caused by condensation of water vapour in the breath, and except for death I can't think of any way of significantly reducing that.

Strange, I drink lots of coffee, and usually have a mug of it on the go when I'm playing. It doesn't dry my mouth out, as it seems to do others. Nor does eating, which seems to make it worse (good old Pavlov).

"Liqourice Imps" used to be the recommended remedy for dry mouths in speakers and presenters... but I don't know if they're made any more. Tiny squares of powerful liquorice which one could slip between cheek and gums and still be able to speak clearly. By cracky they'd make yer mouth water. I think they were renamed "Mighty Imps" but I'm not sure. Haven't seen 'em around for a while.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks again, everybody. Blayne, it's my whole mouth, and I drink gallons of water during each outing, though I haven't really thought about drinking a lot ahead of time. I never have any problem like this with the whistle, which I can and do play for hours and hours. I'll experiment with some of the suggestions here--thanks again everybody! And if more ideas occur to you, they are sure welcome!

Carol
Cathy Wilde

Re: Spitless in Chicago

Post by Cathy Wilde »

herbivore12 wrote: Now send me a Murray. For I rule, apparently.
Yes, o most revered ruler....yes, o most revered .... ajdgtio theso AGTHATWE fmd thto
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

That's it. It's the Crystal People, it's all the danged Crystal People, even the dry-mouth .....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

GaryKelly wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:This thread gave me a thought about Whistles, I wonder if doing things that make ones mouth dry would have an impact on clogging.
Clogging is caused by condensation of water vapour in the breath...
Or is it?
daiv

Post by daiv »

GaryKelly wrote:
Clogging is caused by condensation of water vapour in the breath, and except for death I can't think of any way of significantly reducing that.

i have a whistle that likes to clog. depending on how i hold the whistle changes whether or not it clogs, including: how far in my mouth i put it, where i put my tongue, how vertical i have it, and how i hold my head. i have been able to get it to stop clogging, whereas before it would clog every minute or so. i definitely didnt die, but my whistle no longer clogs. :lol:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dry mouth can accompany menopause and hormone replacement therapy can make it worse. They never tell you about that.

Whatever, my favorite remedies are Altoids ginger or licorice. Fisherman's Friend cough lozenges work quite well, too, and aren't as hot.