What is your favo[u]rite kind of bread?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is your favorite kind of bread?

white wheat bread
6%
brown wheat bread
6%
multi-grain bread
19%
potato bread
No votes
corn bread
No votes
oat or rice bread
No votes
something French or otherwise fancy and expensive
13%
rye bread
11%
another kind of bread
45%

Total votes: 47

Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Chuck_Clark wrote:Pumpernickel Rye - the hard black kind

Yum.

I'm going to have to go with Steve on most of this. I really can't stand the local store brand of bread. I use my bread machine a lot.
I'll take buttloads of seasoned olive oil over butter any day though.

And if you're making a french dip never use hot dog buns. OMG!!! :boggle: I know that sounds like a no-brainer but my brother in law did that once. Horrible. The bread should be heavy, a bit hard and, if necessary, toss it in the oven at 400 for a couple minutes to crispify the outside.

Here's something I like to do. Using a pizza crust or a mixture of 1/2 Jiffy mix and 1/2 flour, make dough and roll it real thin. Coat the top with egg white. Sprinkle with oregano and garlic or whatever and put in very hot oven until the top browns. Cut into bite sized pieces and eat with olive oil.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

You'll never get under your fingernails properly clean if you use a bread-making machine. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I knew this poll would be here...
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

http://www.sendbread.com
We bake old-world style artisan breads using the finest organic, natural ingredients.
Great bread. Great name. Many different styles, all crusty and dense.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Innocent Bystander wrote:You'll never get under your fingernails properly clean if you use a bread-making machine. :wink:
Heheh...many a true word and all that! When I was a teacher we got a chap in once to speak to the 12-year-olds about life in the Middle Ages. He started by asking what they thought people did before toilet paper and hot soapy water, then he went on to describe the kneading of dough (no Wonderloaf in those days!) as one of the best ways of getting your hands really clean. It was a hoot watching their faces as the implications of this slowly dawned on them... :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

There is a bakery nearby and they sell boules for around $4 a loaf. The loaves are about 8 inches in dia. What's are the prices in your part of the 'net? They make variations- less sour, sour, really sour, herbed ( rosemary, etc).
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cranberry wrote:So, so far we've had well over 160 views to this poll and just 16 votes. If these statistics mean anything at all, then 9 out of 10 Chiff and Fipple members don't vote in polls (or don't eat bread). :boggle:
Feh. How many times have you checked the thread?
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

It's provincial of me, but San Francisco sourdough, fresh from the oven. Oh man oh man.

(And none of this "sourdough" made without real San Francisco starter, either. Fleh. If it ain't got Lactobacilus sanfrancisco sp. nov., etc., it's never the same.)

After that, I've a soft spot for toasted pumpernickel, which was served often at my grandparents' home. It's not so easy to find good pumpernickel around here, though. Sad.

(I didn't vote. Seems too like a competition to determine the winning bread, and we all know about the evil in competition.)
Last edited by herbivore12 on Wed May 24, 2006 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:
Cranberry wrote:So, so far we've had well over 160 views to this poll and just 16 votes. If these statistics mean anything at all, then 9 out of 10 Chiff and Fipple members don't vote in polls (or don't eat bread). :boggle:
Feh. How many times have you checked the thread?
4 or 5. The last time I checked it was when I wrote that, just before I went to bed last night.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

"something French or otherwise fancy and expensive" seems judgemental, so I won't be selecting that one, even though I might, if I wasn't afraid of being categorized in some way.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jack

Post by Jack »

FJohnSharp wrote:"something French or otherwise fancy and expensive" seems judgemental, so I won't be selecting that one, even though I might, if I wasn't afraid of being categorized in some way.
;)
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Warm naan, mmmmmmmm.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

SteveShaw wrote:If you want bread that's infinitely better than shop-bought, but can't or won't bake your own, buy a bread-making machine. You can get a Panasonic SD253 from Amazon for less than 77 quid. I swear by mine - great, authentic-tasting bread that's made with organic flour and isn't over-salty like nearly all shop bread. The ingredients are cheap too. I reckon mine's paid for itself in two years several times over. It takes me three minutes to load the ingredients for a wholemeal loaf - job done, all you do is wait. It isn't a purist's solution by a long chalk but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You can make any kind of bread you want, even fruit loaves, and you can use it to make dough for rolls or pizza bases.
Bread snobs sneer at the bread machine, but for pennies I can make fresh baked bread with just a few minutes work. It ain't great bread, but it's good bread, fresh and warm. A loaf of 'artisan' bread at the local store costs over $3.

When I have time (read: rarely), I make breads by hand out of Bernard Clayton's "New Complete Book of Breads."
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

herbivore12 wrote:It's provincial of me, but San Francisco sourdough, fresh from the oven.
Not provincial, just telling it like it is!!!!
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Anyone ever seen the stand up comedy of Eddie Izzard? This question reminds me of one of his bits.

“'Ello, Sue. I've got legs. Do you like... bread? I've got a French loaf. Bye! I love you!

If you haven't seen it, this will make absolutely no sense.