a personal thought

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

a personal thought

Post by Walden »

Admittedly, I've been going through some personal crises, but I find that increasingly I just feel like a very backward hick, here on the forums, and elsewhere.

It's like everyone is suave and sophisticated and so broadly cultured, and I am left without a clue where they are coming from.

My close friend said "you're just from a different culture," but I have a little trouble buying that. Canadians, British, people from the Orient, Americans, they all seem to be more cosmopolitan than I am. It's not as if I lived all of my life in the holler. I've lived overseas. I've gone to international school. I've lived in one of the world's largest metropolises. I've been around. I've dined with the well-to-do. Yet... I feel... somehow left behind in time or something.
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If it's any consolation, Walden, you are not alone. I've been feeling like an eejit. And the board seems quiet of late. I wonder if a lot of people are feeling that way? What did we say to each other?

And if you were fishing for compliments, I'd describe you as knowledgeable, witty and helpful. Is that any good?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Innocent Bystander wrote:And if you were fishing for compliments, I'd describe you as knowledgeable, witty and helpful. Is that any good?
No, but thanks for trying. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Actually, Walden, I think it's more what you found important in your life and that's what YOU concentrated on.
From your posts, I find you very diverse and knowledgable. Your interest in the Cherokee language, for example.
Others have other things that are important to them and that's what they concentrate on.
While I may have opinions on national and international things (hah!), in "real life" I concentrate on volunteering and making my own neighborhood a better place. THAT'S where my effort goes.

And, remember, there's all ages represented here. The young and the old may have time for all the diverse things, while us working shleps have a hard time balancing work and family issues (if you saw what my calendar looks like for next week, you'd run screaming!!!)

And, I happen to LIKE backward hicks - much more so then city slickers!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:And if you were fishing for compliments, I'd describe you as knowledgeable, witty and helpful. Is that any good?
No, but thanks for trying. :)
You're a tough one. How about fair-minded, sensitive, and uniquely clever?

But seriously now, most normal people feel stupid and out of it on a regular, cyclical basis. I tend not to post as much during those spells because I don't want to come across as a shlump, and that's how I feel.
dwinterfield

Re: a personal thought

Post by dwinterfield »

Walden wrote: Yet... I feel... somehow left behind in time or something.
I feel like that pretty often. I'm guessing you've passed 30. We live in a world that worships youth and changes quickly. No one will refer to me as youth, ever again. I like and appreciate change, but I change less and less each day. That's okay. Every age has it's advantages.

You're doing fine.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I suppose, in retrospect, it's too personal a matter to be discussing so publicly.
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Walden wrote:I suppose, in retrospect, it's too personal a matter to be discussing so publicly.
No, no, I think it's important that we investigate more deeply.
Tell me, what are your earliest recollections about your father, and what are your emotional reactions to these recollections?

On second thoughts, if you really are suffering personal crises, I apologise for being trite and thoughtless.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden, you're much more worldly than I am, for sure. I did live most my life in a holler and I've only been out of the country one time. Admittedly, I do feel "behind in time" a lot as well. So you're not alone. I'm sure that's little help though. I'll pray for you.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Walden, you have many many friends here.

Nobody seems to think you are a hick

You have shared many things that are important to you, and that are well received and appreciated

If there is a problem, may it work itself out seamlessly.

Good thoughts coming your way

Mary
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

We're all provincial in our own way.

Most of us transcend that in many ways too. Walden, I'm sure you do.
djm

Post by djm »

We are all from very diverse backgrounds, social strata, educations, etc. We each have our own interests and values. That does not make anyone's preferences better than anyone else's, nor does it invalidate your own experiences. People refer here to books, poems, films, music, etc. that I am not familiar with. I look into these to see if they might be of interest to me.

I would suggest you accept these differences. Don't look at them as personal challenges to your integrity or insults, but as opportunities to grow - or not, as you choose

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

At least you know a conspiracy theory smiley is when you see one... :oops:
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Walden, I have an immense amount of respect for you. You bring a knowledge to this forum that most of us have never been exposed to.

I wouldn't describe you as a hick, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to be called a hick myself. And I don't think being cosmopolitan, worldly, whatever is something to strive for. There's a lot of bad stuff in the world that I'd just as soon not be exposed to myself.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

For me, when everyone or everything seems a certain way, I can almost always attribute that to my mood. Something in my head is causing me to perceive things or interpret them in a way that isn't how they really are. The feeling is real, but the situation isn't. Just speaking for myself.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca