DaVinci Code

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

DaVinci Code

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I hit the first local showing and there wasn't even a crowd - ah, the benefits of retirement <g>. Has anybody else seen this movie yet? Comments?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
djm

Post by djm »

I heard the film really got panned by the critics. Tom Hanks wouldn't be my first choice. But really, I am getting far more entertainment out of all the secondary films generated to explain all the bogosity in the original book, which itself ripped off most of its ideas from other conspiracy books, who ripped off their ideas from previous sensationalist reports etc. etc.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

This might be a case where the critics provide little or no proper guidance. My own suspicion is that, like Mel Gibson's Jesus film, the critics attitudes may be informed by more than just objective assessments of the movie's story, actng and technique.

All I can say is that the middle-aged and older audience I saw it with seemed to enjoy the movie immensely, as did I.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I definitely intend to see it soon. I found the book to be an interesting, fast paced story with an interesting premise. Many critics made fun of the books "turgid expository prose" as if they were critiqueing a great work of literature. C'mon guys: this is escapist fiction and as such I think it did a good job. I'm hoping the movie is as entertaining.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

brewerpaul wrote:I definitely intend to see it soon. I found the book to be an interesting, fast paced story with an interesting premise. Many critics made fun of the books "turgid expository prose" as if they were critiqueing a great work of literature. C'mon guys: this is escapist fiction and as such I think it did a good job. I'm hoping the movie is as entertaining.
I didn't expect a great work of literature. I love escapist fiction as much as anyone. (A lot more, according to my wife.) But there are certain minimum standards of writing which make a story readable. If you can turn a blind eye to it, good for you. But this came across as if the manuscript were written in crayon.

Never mind the writing, the plot was like a string vest - and I'm not going into it on the level of nit-pickers who observe that they drove the wrong way down a one-way street in Paris. As soon as they started into the works of Da Vinci, my heart sank. If you buy into the Jesus myth then this story will have an emotional impact for you which you may enjoy. If you don't then it is an utter nonsense.

And having said all that, and admitted that I haven't seen the film, it is possible it is an enjoyable film. I enjoyed "Helsing" and that was complete twaddle. This is twaddle, too. but it might be an enjoyable film.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I think Ron Howard is over-rated. Any movie I've seen that he directed I didn't care for much, even the highly touted A Beautiful Mind. I don't know what it is I just think he does kind of a hokey job.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Miwokhill wrote:I think Ron Howard is over-rated. Any movie I've seen that he directed I didn't care for much, even the highly touted A Beautiful Mind. I don't know what it is I just think he does kind of a hokey job.
:D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Sit on it, Cunningham...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

It's hard to make a good movie from a dull book. I finished reading the book last Thursday. (I always wait for the paperback.) It just wasn't very good. I read Angels and Demons several years ago, just before the DaVinci Code began. It has a very similar set up and is a much better book. Better, faster action; more complex art history mysteries; more complex characters (Langdon is still the lead - not much depth there)

Several friends saw the movie. They say it's an okay action/mystery film. I'll wait for the dvd, next week.

Usually when studios open a film on every available screen, they don't expect it to last long. Last evening we drove by the local, indepentent, single screen theatre that shows independent or "off new release" films. Even they had DaVinci Code. It will be on TV this Fall.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop sent me the book some months ago, but I couldn't make myself read it. It seemed so boring, so I gave it away. I don't watch movies, but if I did I don't think I'd watch this one.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I thought it was a great read, but have no desire to see the movie. I thought two things made it a really good book. The fast pace, which wasn't any faster than any action movie. And the ideas, which really can't be presented in any depth in a couple of hours.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

FWIW, Roger Ebert liked it.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Innocent Bystander wrote:As soon as they started into the works of Da Vinci...
Leonardo! It's Leonardo!

Sorry. Just needed to let that out. I feel better now. Please carry on with the discussion.

P.S. I found the book fast-paced and fun, the concept interesting and amusing... but Brown's writing... umm, let's just say he's not a writer for the ages. But who am I to talk? I caught myself almost writing, "prose style," there.
:wink:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I doubt I'll get to see the film in the theatre...but this will definitely be one to watch. (I rarely get to see any film in the theatre.)

We'll get it when it hits DVD.

--James
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Actually, according to all reliable evidence, Jesus and Mary Magdalene *were* married, had children, who moved to Spain, and *their* descendants then emigrated to the New World late in the 19th Century. They are now living in the UP of Michigan, and they run a convenience store with Elvis... :lol: :lol: :lol:

With best regards to all,

Steve Mack

PS: This information brought to you by the same folks who did the Gospel of Judas interview, three hundred years after his death, on an early Ampex reel-to-reel tape recorder... :devil:
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen