Mutability of Fingerhole Ergonomics

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumbuk »

jim stone wrote:Just to add that, when it comes to Bb flutes,
offset holes are indeed a blessing, IMO.
The 2.5 Shakuhachi I mentioned is effectively an Ab flute with a few holes missing, so i can imagine that an in-line Bb simple-system would be pretty difficult to finger!
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I support the idea of making a flute more ergonimcally sound. I'm an industrial designer and human factors are a concern of my job. If a slight change like offsetting a hole can make the flute less stressful on the hands, then it's a good improvement. Human-made objects should conform to humans as well as possible, not the other way around. I don't think it is by any means 'just' a gimmick. Sure, it is a selling point, but it's one the truly adds value to the flute.

Doug makes a great point about design and puts it about as well as it can be put.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jumbuk wrote:
jim stone wrote:Just to add that, when it comes to Bb flutes,
offset holes are indeed a blessing, IMO.
The 2.5 Shakuhachi I mentioned is effectively an Ab flute with a few holes missing, so i can imagine that an in-line Bb simple-system would be pretty difficult to finger!
I don't find this to be the case with my keyless Bb at all. The finger spread isn't really that much different to the D flute (but yer arms are further to the right to accommodate the increased distance between the embouchure hole and the tone holes).

I've got a D bamboo flute which has an offset G hole, and that hurts my G finger so much it's unplayable (by me). If the G was in line with the rest of the holes, I'd be able to play it without difficulty.

Just goes to show that people are different, I suppose.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've noticed the same thing, Mary.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Yeah, I had a Burns Bb for a while, and actually found the offset fingerholes to be awkward to use. I wish they'd been in-line (if I had it to do over again, I'd've ordered the thing with in-line holes).

I found it strange, as Gary's noted, that the distance between fingerholes isn't much greater on a Bb than on a D; it does feel like you're reaching waaayyyy over to your right to get to the first holes, though!

I can't imagine what's wrong with offset holes if a body needs 'em, though. I wonder what percentage of folks really do need them, however, as I've seen pretty young wee kids playing along just fine on a full-size D flute with in-line holes. . .
Last edited by herbivore12 on Mon May 15, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to say the offset holes appear to be standard on
Olwell Bb flutes--anyhow I got em and didn't ask for them.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Having once looked at my hands and realised that the fingers were not in-line, I decided on offset holes as the standard for my pvc flutes. Even on F and G flutes the holes are offset if they're for kids.

On my conical flutes I don't mind inline holes one bit, but my experience is pretty narrow. Big bansuris and my biggest plumbing monstrosities get the pinkie finger for the last hole.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

herbivore12 wrote:I can't imagine what's wrong with offset holes if a body needs 'em, though. I wonder what percentage of folks really do need them, however, as I've seen pretty young wee kids playing along just fine on a full-size D flute with in-line holes. . .
The danger is that the wee young kids don't find out they really need them until they have an irreversible muscular problem. We all know the importance of getting grip/posture etc right to avoid later problems - same goes for instrument.

Of course, many of us don't play enough for any of this to be a problem. However, it suddenly becomes very real if you do get aches and pains, so it is worth taking these issues seriously.