At First Light-New Site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Great Stuff fingers I'll call down to Belfast and get one.
I've been on kerrywhistles.com and see that you can get tuneables and non tuneables. Anyone got any advce on which to go for? :-?
Fingers
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Fingers »

I'm nearly sure they stock kerry whistles. Don't know if they do tuneable though. Never played a tuneable but have melted the head of an old generation to try and tune it and it has worked. I think at the end of the day the holes need to be in the right place and they also need to be the right size or you end up just sticking bits of tape over the holes to tune it. Maybe for fine adjustment , heat, gigs etc it's a positive thing as metal does change with temperature, I don't know!
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Called down to Marcus Music in Belfast and bought a Chieftain tuneable low d for £110. The guy in the shop threw in a padded cover worth £10 which was very kind. He didn't seem to know much about maintaining/cleaning the whistle. Any ideas??
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

seananfheadog wrote:Called down to Marcus Music in Belfast and bought a Chieftain tuneable low d for £110. The guy in the shop threw in a padded cover worth £10 which was very kind. He didn't seem to know much about maintaining/cleaning the whistle. Any ideas??
Aluminium is way easy to clean - bit of mild detergent solution - give it a swirl and rinse. air dry or run a swab through it. Always check that the windway is clear.

Phil said something about never cleaning them (so long as the're not full food scraps or such) he says that's part of the mellowing. I have also heard that some people's saliva accellerates oxidisation. Best to clean in those cases.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Mitch is spot on. Mild detergent is as much as you would use on aluminium. Anything else and you'll start stripping back and attacking the aluminium itself.
A good tip I heard was to use a feather to clean all the food scraps out of the mouthpiece.
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Thanks guys,

Will stay away from the detergent so.

Just spotted this review for Tripswitch from the Irish Times http://www.ireland.com/theticket/articl ... 20269.html

Was thinking of going to Milltown Malbay fro the Willie Clancy Traditional music week this year. I've never been but have heard great reports. Anyone got any advice or suggestions for accomodation??

J
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

New clip of John McSherry, Francis McIlduff et all from a BBC Northern Ireland TV production called SRLwhich appeared on their website www.atfirstlight.net recently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/re ... ght_nb.ram

By the way had a ball in Milltown. Great tunes, nice weather bar one day. And too many pints.- Still recovering

J
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Don't think that link is working, I see a gap toward the end of it.

Didn't make Miltown this year but managed to get up to Tuber for a night. Heard great tunes from Damian Stinson and Seamus O'Donnell, among others-great night!
I'll have one!!
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Hi Fingers

Works ok for me.

Maybe you're on a Mac.

Anyone else having problems with this link?

J
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Fingers wrote:Don't think that link is working, I see a gap toward the end of it.

Didn't make Miltown this year but managed to get up to Tuber for a night. Heard great tunes from Damian Stinson and Seamus O'Donnell, among others-great night!
that's not really a gap, it's an underscore, but one can't see that, cuz the whole link is underlined.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The link won't work unless you have Real Player installed.

Since Real Player is terrible, has upgrade nags, filetype hijacking, eats up resources, crashes, etc, might I suggest Real Alternative instead? :)

"Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player."
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Rea ... native.htm
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I just uninstalled RealPlayer and installed Real Alternative. I hate the constant nagging about Real Player taking over all my media files. As well as all the times it phones home for unknown purposes.

Thanks
Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
StewySmoot

Thanks, Phil

Post by StewySmoot »

I am getting caught up on message board stuff and your post caught my eye. Thanks, Mr. Hardy, for your contributions over and above your fine craftsmanship.
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

Nice interview from Blas today, takes a min or 2 to kick in, as radio web feeds sometimes do, with ads etc b4 the programme starts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks ... lster/blas

Enjoy!

Nice one John... even with your girly comics! How did you even know the name of it if you didn't read it??? :P

And there was me thinking you were a die-hard Zeppelin fan!!! ;)

Great stuff!
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Anyone going to Ennis??

It'd be great to catch a video/sound clip of these guys if so.

Also there will be Mike McGoldrick and Dezi Donnelly. These guys should make another duet trad album - I'm not really sure about Wired???

J