hammy flute meeting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Kenny, nice to hear about, wish I could have been there, perhaps next year.

Question: Any chance you could give some detail with regards to JMV's comments on tongue placement? Thanks.

Loren
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Yes! - Jean-Michel's tips would be most apprecated as hard as they may be to articulate.

I'm still trying to imagine the sound of Conal and Harry playing at the same table :o

Cheers,
- Ryan
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

thanks to all for sharing your experience with us. the fluteworld needs events like that. hopefully it will continue and maybe become the flute mecca for us. hammy rocks!

anyone know what wood conal's flute and hammy's flute are made from? looks brownish in the photo, maybe either newly turned blackwood or perhaps cocus?
Markus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Markus »

Jean-Michel was in the opinion that while playing (when not used), tongue should be placed against the lower teeth so it does not disturb the air column starting from the diapragm and ending in the flute.

Conal's flute is made of cocus. Hammy said it's one of the best ones he's ever made. When imagining the sound of him and Harry playing at the same table, it might help to auralize (?) that Harry's playing has gotten rather quiet these days, giving room to some musical humour. (Verbal, perhaps "Belfast-type" humour rather than in-your-face cream cakes, I suppose)
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Markus, that's what I suspected he'd have said (with regards to tongue placement), just wanted to confirm.

Loren
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Well I promised to post my reflections on the meeting... but I've had the worst case of man flu ever over the last two weeks, and still don't feel up to much - besides, Kenny has done such a fantastic job! However, I have uploaded the best of the photos here for your perusal.
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Great bunch of photos, thanks so much for sharing those Neil!

Hope you feel better soon!

Loren
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Thanks Kenny and Markus for giving very good account of the time we spent there. It was great fun and Mark was kind enough to drive us over to Kenmare one afternoon which I cannot say on this forum exactly what I was saying at the time when the picture was taken, I do not think it is allowed on a family board. :)

The only thing I can add really are a couple of photographs taken and a link to some more.

This is from one of the session in The Mills Inn.

Taken at The Mills Inn. Any guesses to who the 2 players are?

Here the link to some more photos I took during my stay there. http://overton.de/texte/colinsgallery.htm

I may add more when I have some time but "home improvements" are still ongoing and will take our full attention for another few weeks. Will be good though!

Enjoy the pictures, I especially like the psychedelic ones at the end.

Colin
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

pm and jmv ?
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

rama wrote:pm and jmv ?
obviously was too easy. you know your heads or hands. nice one.

Colin
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Gotta say, looking at all these photos:

We flute players have an, um . . . interesting fashion sense. I guess too large a percentage of our brains are devoted to tunes and technique for us to be bothered with little things like dressing like decent folk.

(Hey, I'm guilty, too. . .!)
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Nice shots, Colin. Interesting to see how differently these guys hold, angle and blow their flutes.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

herbivore12 wrote:Gotta say, looking at all these photos:

We flute players have an, um . . . interesting fashion sense. I guess too large a percentage of our brains are devoted to tunes and technique for us to be bothered with little things like dressing like decent folk.

(Hey, I'm guilty, too. . .!)
Wierd.
I didn't even notice their clothes, I was too busy looking at their flutes and their HAND GRIPS! Lots of differences there! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:

M
lots of differences in emboucher stylings, too :party:
jemtheflute

Hello & shutterfly photos

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi everyone! I'm new to C&F, though an oldie on Woodenflute. Thanks to all my fellow Flute Meeting participants who've done such a good job with their accounts on here! Saved me a big job. Kenny, I was in the same group as you, and I totally concur with all you say. I certainly had a great time and have come away playing distinctly better! Also, after I got home, I found myself writing several new tunes (quite spontaneously - not at all premeditated), at least in part responding to things that cropped up on the course. So, on Markus' criterion, that's a bonus outcome!
Main reason for joining up now is to say I've finally got all my photos back/sorted and have posted them on Shutterfly (http://www.flutemeet.shutterfly.com) The quality ain't great, but you may find yourself in there somewhere. Enjoy!