Playing C# without dropping the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I've never developed one fixed way of playing C#. I've noticed recently that I'm getting more and more into the habit of keeping the pinkie of my right hand down just below D. Somebody recently remarked on this forum that this is a bad habit. Is this a well documented no-no or a legimate and harmless practice? Any opinions out there?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Geez, you and I appear to be on the same wavelength sometimes!

I was doing Gander in the Pratie Hole, and thinking about it because I was losing the whistle on the C#. My biggest current fingering problem is Ec#a as I can't leave the bottom hole closed the way I want. So I'm slapping down that pinkie for this one note.

I wonder if a thumbrest would help?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

I was the one who didn't want to start doing that (not necessarily that I thought it was a bad habit, just something I didn't happen to like). Comments by Mark and Loren changed my mnd, though, so I've now started trying to play with the pinkie down.

I did recall last night that at the first & only short whistle workshop I took, the teacher said it was not good technique to play with the pinkie down. She said other things that turned out to be not right-on, too, but that's okay. She got me playing the whistle.

Tery
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

It seems like to me that John~N played with his pinky down when I saw his band. But I can't be sure.

And the guy on the Kerry whistle site (Mike McGoldrick)seems to put his up and down as needed...but he goes so fast it's hard to see for sure!

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/songbird.mov

These are the only two whistle players I have had the chance to really observe.

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Yeah, that whole thing about rabbits & tennis she told you was a complete myth too.
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I use my pinky when I need to and I encourage my students to. Flute players are taught to play quite a few of their high notes by resting their pinky down on the C key (which is the same place)

For me the most important thing is that you play your whistle the most comfortable way you can so that you can get past notes and get to music. I for one would rather put my pinky down than drop the whistle at a gig or grind my teeth into the mouthpiece!

My thoughts? Pinky on and be proud it's not a middle finger issue!!

Sandy
Kar

Post by Kar »

Call me crazy, but can't you also play that note by having ALL fingers down but just overblowing?
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-08-27 13:50, Kar wrote:
Call me crazy, but can't you also play that note by having ALL fingers down but just overblowing?
Not on a D whistle. All down and overblowing gives 2nd octave D.

To address the original question: I drop my pinkie as needed. As near as I can recall, every pro whistler I've seen in person does too. It quickly becomes something you never even think about.
Kar

Post by Kar »

You're right. That's what I was thinking. Hmm...still not awake this morning.

For that C, I always just put my ring finger down on the bottom hole...it sounds basically the same as all holes open.
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

What you can do, and what I do a lot, is play c# oooxxx, sound identically the same as oooooo, and sometimes much easier.
cheers
Erik
Listen, play and have fun!
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Huh. I would have save that I held the pinkie down for C# -- heck, I thought I held it down most of the time. But I just trying actually playing the whistle to see what I did, and I don't seem to use the pinkie much, if ever, anymore.

In practice, it seemed that most of the time I played C# in tunes, I left all three right-hand holes covered.

Aha! Got it. (Tried Dr. O'Neill's.) If I'm going down to C#, I leave the standard right hand fingers down. If I'm going up, I use the pinkie. If I do a lot of both in close succession, I leave the pinkie down all the time and sometimes the rest of the right hand fingers as well.

Guess it really is done without thinking!
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

I've read various things about leaving different fingers down to play C or C#, for balance or ease of play. With my particular group of whistles, that seems to require remembering which whistle I'm playing. Some whistles don't seem to care much about extra fingers being down, but on others I can hear enough difference to bother me. It seems easier to play the C# with no holes covered, which seems to work fine on all of my whistles, and to deal with the balance issue some other way.

Tery
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I leave all holes open for C#, and have never been in danger of dropping my whistle. But I don't drink, either, which probably has something to do with it. :wink:

At how steep of an angle do you guys usually hold your whistle?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I have used the pinkie for support for years...Never thought it was a problem. I cannot remember the whistle tutor that I used in the beginning, but the idea came from that book...If you truly wish to cheat, try this fingering for C#: OOOXXX. IMHO, it has an added benefit of making things more stable, especially when sliding around the upper 3 or 4 notes in the whistle's normal 2 octave range.... Although I do not use this fingering all the time, it works on all the whistles in various keys that I own. The slight timbre shift caused by the fingering is negligible, and in some cases preferable to OOOOOO on my instruments...
Cheers and the best...
Byll
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have found only in the last few days -- since acquiring my low D Dixon, that taking all my fingers off for C# causes the whistle to slip a bit and I don't feel I have control. I am working on the pinky thing. I am also considering a thumbrest but only after I have determine whether the pinky think works for me.