2nd D, cover the top hole or not?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Swedish-Banjo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

2nd D, cover the top hole or not?

Post by Swedish-Banjo »

I've been learning the whistle from a book, in wich it says you are meant to leave the top hole open when playing the second D on an ordinary D-whistle.
Though, I've been watching some instructionvideos at www.kerrywhistles.com and noticed that Phil does not leave the top hole open when playing the second D at his Low D-whistle (6 holes closed at the first and the second D, but at the third he leaves the top hole open).
I understand this is something that depends on taste, and what sound the player likes, but is one of these alternatives to prefere in front of the other?

Maby its a bit more tricky to always leave the top hole open, but thats how I have been playing now for 2-3 months, and it feels kind of awkward to change that. Though, I dont want to make anything into some sort of a bad habbit.
Jonas. Färjestaden. Sweden.
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

for me it depends on where I am going and how fast I am playing. If I am going on up in the second octave I tend to cover the top hole. If I am playing slowly or coming right back to the lower register I tend to leave it open heh
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

When your breath control is good enough, it is not strictly necessary.
But, it is a good habit to get into, because it will usually improve the
tone to lift the finger, especially on long notes.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: 2nd D, cover the top hole or not?

Post by colomon »

Swedish-Banjo wrote:Maby its a bit more tricky to always leave the top hole open, but thats how I have been playing now for 2-3 months, and it feels kind of awkward to change that. Though, I dont want to make anything into some sort of a bad habbit.
Don't change! The way you are playing is a good habit that some people don't have, because some whistles let you get away with having the finger down.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Frederik Meesters

Post by Frederik Meesters »

On a flute the difference is more noticable. That's maybe a reason.

I use it also. I find it also easier to go from C natural to D (or backwards). You just have to move one hand.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Yeah, if you're already doing it then don't change it! I believe that no matter what whistle you play, that will be accurate. The same cannot be said for the XXX XXX fingering. It also allows you to use finger vibrato on your 2nd D if you like by "twiddling" your index finger.
Tommy

Re: 2nd D, cover the top hole or not?

Post by Tommy »

colomon wrote:
Swedish-Banjo wrote:Maby its a bit more tricky to always leave the top hole open, but thats how I have been playing now for 2-3 months, and it feels kind of awkward to change that. Though, I dont want to make anything into some sort of a bad habbit.
Don't change! The way you are playing is a good habit that some people don't have, because some whistles let you get away with having the finger down.
Ditto.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
justajoe

Post by justajoe »

me personaly, i think the sound is crisper with the top whole open... also, it seems that i dont screach as easily with the top whole open.

but i think the rule is "what ever works" eh. if your comfy and not screaching then leave it and have fun.

joe.
ronya

Post by ronya »

For me it depends on what notes are before and after the high D. Sometimes it's more convenient for me to close all 6 holes, for example when after a high D goes a high E - all I have to do is lift up one finger instead of lifting up one and putting down the other - it confused me when I tried doing it :)
Or, say, high D goes after C#. I usually close the last 3 holes for C# cause I need to hold my whistle somehow, and then I close 2 more, leaving the first one open...
I'm a total newbie, and I really don't hear the difference in tone and don't find it harder to blow high D with all holes closed so I just let it happen how my fingers want it to :)
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

I cover them all if playing a tune makes using this method easier, but else I try to have the first hole uncovered. It sounds nicer, and it's a lot easier to avoid screeches on cheap whistles.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I actually like the sound better on a whistle with the top hole covered, but it's gotten me into trouble on a flute. A friend of mine has a Murray and it's very difficult to hit either top or bottom D without bouncing into a harmonic or going "fuzzy." Venting the middle d helps a lot.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Usually, I seem to play it uncovered, and it does make for a more stable, non-screechy note, but if going through it in a quick series of notes, I play it finger down.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I like to leave the top hole open, myself. I think it gives the note a purer sound. I find that if you cover all the holes I get a breathier sound. But maybe you want that. I just tend to lean towards a pure tone.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."