Do you ever get tunes confused

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Loren wrote:"Colomon's example of the two similar tunes is spot on. There are a lot of Irish tunes that bear resemblance to other tunes in some portion, enough so that if you're playing one of them and not concentrating fully your muscle memory will lead you right into another tune"

Thank you very much for repeating what I said in an earlier post: If you lose your place or get tunes confused, it's either because you don't know them well enough in the first place, or you weren't fully paying attention (concentrating), while playing.
If that's true, then if you're not losing your place or getting tunes confused, it would have to be because you do know them well enough and you are fully concentrating. But I lose concentration lots of times without losing my place or getting tunes confused. Where does that leave me? Do I "know" those tunes and "not know" the other ones where I lose concentration and do get lost?
Loren wrote:"Loren, professional musicians do screw up, all the time."

Define "all the time". I don't know of any profession where "Screwing up, all the time" is acceptable.
"All the time" = "On a daily basis". As has been mentioned elsewhere, no one bats 1.000 (even with 'roids).
Loren wrote:I find it interesting that rather than actually trying a different method, in an effort to determine it's effectiveness, some here would rather spend the same amount of time, or more, defending their current way of doing things, or avoiding the subject by taking a different tack, and then arguing more.
I don't think anyone's suggesting that Shannon's way of learning tunes (which you are promoting) is wrong, or dismissing it offhand. What we may be reacting to is your apparent assertion that if we have tunes that we consider we've learned, but we haven't learned them via Shannon's method, then if we ever should get lost while playing them, or fall into another tune while playing them, that means we never really learned the tune in the first place. I bet that's what Colomon objects to with his Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrell/Trim the Velvet example.
Loren wrote:For those of you who would like to develop the ability to get tunes confused less often, and improve you ability to learn by ear as well as be able to retain tunes better, and be more "connected to the tunes, consider this: If you are ACCURATELY hearing a tune in your head, while you are playing it (this means being able to "accurately hear a the notes, and even the upcoming phrases before you play them), then how can you get lost or confused while you're playing a tune? It's like having a "teleprompter" in your head - you're hearing in advance, ACCURATELY, what you are going to play in a few seconds from now. Does this makes sense? If so, I ask again, how can you get lost or confused if you are doing this?
Easily. Say you've been playing Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel for 10 years. You know it so well that you can play it in your sleep. Then you decide to learn Trim the Velvet. You spend a day following Shannon's method. You're moving your hands up and down. You're singing. You're playing the tune, maybe even by the end of the day you've learned it. Next day, you're off to the session. Sitting there in the middle of a set of tunes, the fiddler next to you segues into Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel. You're with him all the way. You're thinking and hearing three bars ahead. Then some attractive female punter jumps up on the bar in your view and starts doing a pole dance, only without the pole and without removing any clothes. (This actually happened once at a session I was in. Only the names of the tunes have been changed to protect the innocent.) Your concentration wanes for a split second, and the next thing you know your muscles, fully conditioned as they are from the previous day's exercise, take you straight into Trim the Velvet. Does that mean you never learned Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel? Of course not!

Good players get lost in tunes all the time or get sidetracked by other similar-sounding tunes all the time. All the time = on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with how they learned the tunes in the first place, it has everything to do with the fact that Irish music is full of trap doors from one tune into another. If you're playing a lot and it happens too much for your taste, it could mean that you're trying to play tunes you haven't yet really learned. I'll grant you that. But it could just as easily mean the early onset of Alzheimer's. Does Shannon have a recommended treatment for that?
Loren wrote:Please keep in mind, this is not some "theory" or "concept" I've dreamed up (it has nothing to do with me), I'm simply trying to share something that I've learned from a far better player, that I've found hugely beneficial to my own playing and learning. I've taken the time to do this, not because I like debating this crap, but because many folks are not as fortunate as I currently am, to have access to really good instruction - and this is something I can related to, having struggled along myself for so many years with little access to good info.
As I said already, I doubt that any of us would deny that Shannon's approach is a great way to learn tunes. The "debate", if there is one, is that this is by no means the only way to learn. And although I don't know Shannon, I'd be willing to bet that unless she's including a serving of her own personal Kool Aid with every lesson she would agree with that.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

johnkerr wrote:Your concentration wanes for a split second, and the next thing you know your muscles, fully conditioned as they are from the previous day's exercise, take you straight into Trim the Velvet. Does that mean you never learned Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel? Of course not!
Yes, that was indeed my point -- it is all too easy to fall through a trapdoor (great metaphor) even on tunes you know very, very well.

Incidentally, I anticipated there would be trouble with those two tunes, and put off learning "Trim the Velvet" for more than a year so that I could get "KtMBtB" down ultra-solidly first.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Ah yes... the 'perfection' VS 'reality' argument... again...

Even incredibly excellent, well practiced, regularly performing, well trained musicians sometimes make mistakes. Deal with it. They do.

As for the rest of us, mistakes are something to *try* to avoid. Practicing, practicing, and then practicing some more is one sure way to diminish the occurrance of error. We also need to learn to deal with errors by continuing on so that we don't derail the rest of the group. Stopping and muttering "s*#t!" isn't really a good way to do that, I'm finding. :)

edoted tp add... I appreciate getting an insight into the way Shannon teaches... it make sense to me. Thanks for that. I am already incorporating that into my own learning process. Wish I had access to such a teacher myself.
Last edited by anniemcu on Mon May 01, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm done with this, other than to say the following:

Once again what I've said is being twisted and or misinterpreted. I am merely making a suggestion of ONE way to approach things, I've not suggested, by any stretch, that it is the best way, the only way, the right way, or any thing else other than A way, that seems to be more effective than simply reading the notes off the page and practicing mechanically ad nauseum.

I couldn't care less how one learns, and I'm not "Promoting Shannon's way", I'm simply sharing some concepts that I've found helpful. Certainly I haven't said, or implied, that if one doesn't learn this way or that way, then they aren't learning the "right way". What I have suggested is that if one hasn't learned in SOME particularly effective way, than one is likely to have more problems.

Yes, people lose their place, or get confused at times, my point being that if it bothers you that you lose your place or get confused, figure out whether it's because you don't know the tunes well enough, or because you're losing your focus/concentration (who cares what distracted you? It makes no difference!), and then deal with it accordingly - by whatever frickin' method you choose, I simply suggested one way, in an effort to be helpful.

Meanwhile John, you and Colomon seem to be content to pick apart my posts, without offering anything useful or concrete in terms of methodology to improve one's command over his/her playing, instead simply saying we all make mistakes boys and girls, only the geniuses don't. Yeah, we ALL know that mistakes are part of being human, but some of use do care to work towards making less mistakes, and I don't hear you making any positive contribution to the pool of knowledge here on the subject.

Have the last word if you like, as I'm keeping my trap shut from here on out - I feel I've simply tossed far too much time down the toilett as it is.

Loren
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Loren wrote:Meanwhile John, you and Colomon seem to be content to pick apart my posts, without offering anything useful or concrete in terms of methodology to improve one's command over his/her playing, instead simply saying we all make mistakes boys and girls, only the geniuses don't. Yeah, we ALL know that mistakes are part of being human, but some of use do care to work towards making less mistakes, and I don't hear you making any positive contribution to the pool of knowledge here on the subject.
Loren, I believe if you carefully read through what I've written above (removing the chip from your shoulder first might help) I don't think you'll find one instance where I said people shouldn't follow your/Shannon's advice if it works for them, and several places as a matter of fact where I said it's great advice. All I've said is that where you see a problem of getting lost or ending up in the wrong tune, it may not be as big a problem as you're making it out to be. That's all.

Now, I think my concentration is wandering a bit, so I may finish off this thread in the new C&F Squeezebox Forum. They do look a lot alike...
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

johnkerr wrote:All I've said is that where you see a problem of getting lost or ending up in the wrong tune, it may not be as big a problem as you're making it out to be.
I'd go a step further: Shannon's advice isn't going to make the normal tune trapdoors go away. I'm not saying it's not a good way of learning tunes -- it sounds pretty sensible to me -- just that the trapdoors are there no matter how well you know the tune, and falling through them occasionally is par for the course.

(Of course, if you can't get through most tunes you "know" without screwing up, then you should start using Shannon's advice ASAP.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Despite the fact that some feathers have got tossed on this thread, with the affected birds flying off, :) I think the information was very good to hear about. I do think the tone of some of the conversation came across incorrectly as accusatory but it seems to me that was originally unintentional.

Of course there's no magic pill. For example I have personally found in the past that lilting the tune away from the instrument isn't as effective as working it out on the instrument, but other people swear by it - we all learn differently.

Its interesting to try out hand motions in the air to the tunes, they aren't as easy as moving your fingers on the flute if you aren't always quite sure just how many steps between certain pitches and others. Last night I tried this out with bits of Colonel Fraser that I've been always getting wrong off a recording, and it was harder than I had expected. Its a good bit of teaching tech to use with students who have trouble learning a melody - its a more exaggerated version of mirroring finger positions, and might assist someone who doesn't yet have the "this sound goes with this fingering" skill on every note or interval.

Whether this helps avoid trapdoors, I don't know yet, but I'm certainly going to try it.
con771

Post by con771 »

I get tunes confused all the time. I'd rather play with the music in front of me