How to get my kids to listen to "Trad" Irish music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Begorrah. Why are we speaking Elizabethan English on an ITM thread?
Verily, verily, I say unto you!
Why are we speaking *English* on an ITM thread?

No, really... time fr bed.

G'night all.
Jack

Post by Jack »

buddhu wrote:
Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Begorrah. Why are we speaking Elizabethan English on an ITM thread?
Verily, verily, I say unto you!
Why are we speaking *English* on an ITM thread?

No, really... time fr bed.

G'night all.
Surely we should all be speaking French.

Who is Fr. Bed?
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

And upon this thoughtless, empty stone I pearch.

Be it the circumstance of youth's sweet breath I solemnly await, or upon the suddenly drawn breath of impatience's flowing liquid eyebrow

It only seems to seek, to discover, to anchor my jaw, and, like the rhetorcial sorry ass, senseless dead dying bone white artifact... My spirit is undecided.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I actually do listen to the Dubliners quite often. They are definitely one of my favorites. As is Dylan. Unfortunately, I think that I went about it absolutely wrong. I didn't forbid them from listening to it (as has been recommended), and so they have no interest. ;) Although, I tend to think that eventually they'll come to liking it. They've been surrounded by it all of their lives, and it's been my experience that people tend to go back to their roots, so to speak, as they get older (and wiser!), at least to a certain extent.

Hey, Dub, U2 also did a version of Whiskey in the Jar. That's the other version that my iPod wielding children have. It's a live version, I think. Just wanted to let you know about that...I know how much you love them :wink:

Oh, and for the record, I don't think that the wee Izzy's of the house really do like Metallica in general (at least I hope not....if they do I've done something horribly wrong and should be flogged for it :boggle: ). I think they found out about this one song of theirs, and thought that I would approve since it's "Irish". So I suppose I should be happy that they do try to gain my approval once in a while, even if it is by listening to Metallica's version of Whiskey in the Jar :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
alurker

Post by alurker »

I think that the transition from Metallica to The Dubliners might be a bit of a stretch for young Metal fans. I have brought a few mates with similar tastes on the journey to trad, mainly via bands like Horslips and albums like Davy Spillane's Atlantic Bridge. I think any transition material is gonna need a few electric guitars in the mix but it might be best to casually play some fusion-ish stuff like Flook! and let them find their own way. Live gigs make the transtion easier also, if you can manage to drag them along to a Solas gig or something. If your kids are typical teens, your recommendation would probably be the death-knell for any artist :lol: .

It might be no harm to casually mention that 60's folkies Sweeney's Men and Annie Briggs were major influences on Led Zepplin and esp Jimmy Page. Have a listen to songs like Going to California on Led Zepplin 4. Also:
Wikipedia wrote: Black Mountain Side is the sixth track on rock group Led Zeppelin's eponymous debut album.

Although originally credited as a Jimmy Page composition, it is actually an instrumental version of a traditional folk song called "Blackwater Side". Since its guitar arrangement is virtually identical to the version previously recorded by singer-songwriter Bert Jansch, it is sometimes credited to "Jansch/Page". One important difference, however, is that Page plays in DADGAD tuning, whereas Jansch used a simpler 'drop D' tuning.

Folk singer Anne Briggs, a friend of Jansch, taught him the song; she, in turn, learnt it from the folk music historian A. L. Lloyd. She also recorded her own version, though this was not until the early '70s — a few years after the Jansch and Page interpretations. Page later claimed that he, like Jansch, also learnt the song directly from Briggs, though given the strong resemblance between his and Jansch's versions this seems unlikely.