In praise of Cillian Vallely

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

In praise of Cillian Vallely

Post by TnWhistler »

Alright, I have just purchased my fourth Lunasa CD and just bought Callun Bridge a duo CD with his brother Niall, and I must say...

Cillian is just damn awesome!!!

He plays so clean, no missed notes, dropped octaves, squeaks, squawks, and ALWAYS in tune. HIs cut and rolls are flawless, I just can't say enough. He is slowly becoming my favorite piper. I was only aware of him as of a year ago.

I still love some of my previous picks, but Cillian is incredible. In case some of you newbies, like myself, aren't familiar, get some of the later Lunasa cd's or his duet album with his brother.

Keep on piping

Timmy
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Cillian is a wonderful piper, but I bet even he drops octaves and squeeks and squawks fro time to time. DIGITAL RECORDING is a wonderful thing :wink:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Perhaps one of the best "newtype" jigs i've ever heard "Muireanns" from that same album. If U like that kinda UP playing/tunes , check Calico's first 2 cd's Cellanova Square,Song Dogs,l + live cd "red Hat Band" (Lunasa has Moynihans compositions on theirs CD's too).
E. Dillon from KILA , great solo album " Third twin" so F*****g good new compositions indeed., same type playing as Cillian.. good movements, nice simple way to create great variations of theme..
Cheers,
M
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

benwalker wrote:Cillian is a wonderful piper, but I bet even he drops octaves and squeeks and squawks fro time to time. DIGITAL RECORDING is a wonderful thing :wink:
I've heard him do it, maybe once or twice, at the 2004 Florida Tionol. But, if you didn't know what you were listening to, you never would've noticed.
smithand

Post by smithand »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I've heard him do it, maybe once or twice, at the 2004 Florida Tionol. But, if you didn't know what you were listening to, you never would've noticed.
I've just been listening to Jerry O'Sullivan's O'Farrell CD, and he drops the octave there a few times but it always sounds like a variation or ornament rather than a mistake.

Andrew
giles b

Post by giles b »

For more Vallely brilliance you should check out Niall Vallely's cd. You will hear some wild concertina and some great arrangements of his own tunes with his brother Caoimhin on piano and Paul Meehan on strings.

Check It Out!!!
Joseph E. Smith

smithand wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I've just been listening to Jerry O'Sullivan's O'Farrell CD, and he drops the octave there a few times but it always sounds like a variation or ornament rather than a mistake.

Andrew
I'm certain that is one the skills one needs to become a better piper, I call it the "I meant to do that" recovery.

... something like the three rules a rock guitar player must know when playing a wrong note on stage:

1) Do it again so it sounds like you meant to do it

2) Stand next to the bass player and give them a really dirty look

3) get on your knees and plead for the audience's forgiveness.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

"E. Dillon from KILA , great solo album " Third twin" so F*****g good new compositions indeed., same type playing as Cillian.. good movements, nice simple way to create great variations of theme..
Cheers,
M
Do you mean Eamonn Dillon? Eamonn is a good friend and in my estimation a GREAT PIPER. Such a nice guy too.

Timmy
totokots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

Eoin Dillon.

(Plays Dillon pipes)
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
Joseph E. Smith

Matt Dillon? Famed lawman and gunslinger?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Back to praising Cillian Vallely for a moment here if I may...
I've been to about 10 Lunasa concerts and one "LunasaLite" concert(him, Kevin, and Paul) and heard him mess up maybe twice in all those times. He's nice too.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

In any craft there is but one rule...
"anyone can make mistakes, but the pro can hide them"
Rob
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!