On not just being a blowhard... Upper register

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

On not just being a blowhard... Upper register

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm having a bit of a hard time with the highest notes on some of my whistles - specifically the A and B mostly. It's not always bad, but I'm hit or miss on most of my whistles.

I just got my Hoover Whitecap yesterday and am really noticing this problem with it - my problem, not the Whitecap. To hit those two notes, I really end up just wailing on the whistle and it seems to be three times louder than the other notes. Granted, I've only spent about 10 minutes with the Whitecap at this point.

I know that to successfully hit the high notes, the technique is more about the speed of the airflow - not just about blowing harder. I know it in my head, but I'm inconsistent with the whistles. I understand, but can't get my mouth/tongue/throat to do the right stuff consistently. I have Grey Larsen's book and have read the section on this near the beginning.

I'm still new to whistles and should (will) read that section again, but can any of you offer any more tips on the physical aspect of generating a faster stream of air beyond simply blowing harder?

Thanks,
Jason
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

It comes from the abs. If you engage your stomach muscles, the air will be faster and more intense, allowing you to go into the upper register. That's how it feels for me, anyway.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This probably won't help, but whistle a tune with your lips. Oh, like My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean. Notice that you do all sorts of things with your tongue, cheeks, throat, lips when you go from the lower notes to the high ones.

I sort of do things like this on the whistle. I believe that the high notes are louder and I do have to blow somewhat harder---I think this could vary from whistle to whistle. But the things you are doing inside your mouth I think make it so that you can get the note without just crudely blowing the heck out of the whistle.

As you try different things, and have some success (as apparently you already are) your mouth will learn sort of on its own what to do. I don't go okay, put your tongue here and make your throat do this. It just gets automatic.

Your success will increase gradually. First, you'll do it in one try out of 25. Then you'll get it in 5 tries out of 25, then in 10 out of 25. So it isn't an either you've got it or you don't situation. It is critical to recognize that you are progressing if you are getting the note more often! Don't consider that you are doing badly until you get the note every time---that is the way to discouragement. If you can do it once, you know you can do it again. Yes, a person does wonder when sometimes :lol: . But it will improve gradually, not suddenly. When you hit the note every time, then you've gotten there. But you would expect that to happen over a period of time.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:This probably won't help, but whistle a tune with your lips. Oh, like My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean. Notice that you do all sorts of things with your tongue, cheeks, throat, lips when you go from the lower notes to the high ones.

I sort of do things like this on the whistle. I believe that the high notes are louder and I do have to blow somewhat harder---I think this could vary from whistle to whistle. But the things you are doing inside your mouth I think make it so that you can get the note without just crudely blowing the heck out of the whistle.

As you try different things, and have some success (as apparently you already are) your mouth will learn sort of on its own what to do. I don't go okay, put your tongue here and make your throat do this. It just gets automatic.
This is good advice, I think.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congratulations wrote:
Cynth wrote:This probably won't help, but whistle a tune with your lips. Oh, like My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean. Notice that you do all sorts of things with your tongue, cheeks, throat, lips when you go from the lower notes to the high ones.

This is good advice, I think.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I really can't play the whistle worth a darn. :lol: And that's the truth.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The high notes are going to be louder...This is true on like 98% of the whistles I've tried.

You get less shy about this the more you play...it gets easier if you go outside or someplace where there's a bit of noise, so you don't feel like you're so loud when you're hitting those high notes.
monkey

Post by monkey »

I had the same trouble and the kind people here advised me to go to the park/somewhere with not many people about and just blow blow blow until i could do it. it worked for me :)
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

I have the opposite problem on my low whistle. That being it is hard to hit the lowest note in the lower range. Which I understand is normal having just recently started to concetrate on my low whistling. The problem really comes to for when I have to go back from the high register to the low one. Can;t seem to light the pressure back up. Got NO problems blowing hard hehe. In fact if I am not careful I can easily push up to a third octave. Probably good thing my grandfather is mostly deaf or maybe that is WHY he is :D

The best advice that I think works for both of these problems has already been given. Practice. And each whistle is different. For instance on my susato high Ds it takes about the same amount of air to push the whistle into the higher register than say my clarke but it takes a lot more air on the clarke to HOLD it in that register.

I have been trying to concentrate my high D practice around one or maybe two whistles right now and my low whistle as well. I noticed that when I rotate thru a lot of my whistles the problem does not correct itself nearly as fast. I am presuming this is from the differences in fipples for the varying brands of whistle.

hmmm this was a bit rambling :) Perhaps there is a relevant comment in there somewhere. If not apoligies :boggle:
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Jason, I asked the same question in a posting a week or so ago. I had gotten a new set of Syn whistles, (which I love), and was finding myself 'honking' on the high notes, which never happens on my other whistles.

Well, after a couple of weeks of playing them, I almost never have this problem, and I don't FEEL like I'm doing anything differently. Somehow, my subconscious mind must have figured out what works and what doesn't. Just play lots and wait it out --- it'll sort itself out! :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

It feels like I change the intensity of the beam of air I'm blowing into the whistle when I got from low to high. If the low require a stream of air about 1cm wide to sound, then the higher takes a stream about 2-5mm wide. It's not a great explanation, but it's how I visualize it when I do it.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

James Peeples posted some useful info on this awhile back...can't remember which thread...I think it was called "Whistle With Your Lips", but basically he talked about how it helps to change the shape of your mouth a bit when you go into the second octave.

I tend to tighten my lips around the whistle when I go into the second octave, and I think I pull the whistle slightly more into my mouth as well. On some whistles, such as the Sindt and some Generations, I can actually play the second octave more quietly than the first (except for A and B, which come out louder no matter what you do).

When you watch good whistle players closely, you'll often see the shape of their mouth changing. One of the best whistle players I know, Daron Tansley from Vermont, shapes every note with his mouth; it's unconscious, but when he plays you can see his mouth moving constantly. Also the DVD of Planxty's reunion concert from last year has a few bits of Liam O'Flynn playing the whistle; he shapes the notes too and you can see his facial muscles contracting when he goes into the upper octave.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I understand that you do have to blow harder and that it will be louder, but I also know that there's more to it than that. Thanks for the tips so far though. I think it's a combination of the abs/whistling thing that I'm sometimes getting right that's giving me the peeks at success here.

As far as the higher notes being louder, this has been my experience as well. However on this particular whistle, there seems to be a much greater difference between the two registers. Of the whistles I have, this one seems both quieter in the lower register and louder in the higher notes than most, if not all, of my others.

The volume between the registers is about the same all the way up to the upper G, then things just seem to get really loud on A and B - moreso than the other whistles.

However, these notes aren't always this loud on this whistle, so hopefully it will get better with practice. Also, this Whitecap is currently on a Feadog, and should be on an Oak tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jason
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sometimes adding just a bit of tonguing to the note helps get it started. This is a subtle thing-- you don't want a staccato sound. That little extra blip of air at the beginning of the note gets the note to speak, and then less air is required to keep it singing. If you're a newbie, be patient with yourself-- it will all come with time.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I just feel the need to add one thing: no one should be routinely practicing whistle in front of the computer monitor!

It will bounce the sound back at you in the worst way, particularly on the high notes, and you'll think you are sounding terrible.

Practice whistle either in the middle of a room, or better yet, seated close to a wall, facing the center of the room.

Or, if you have friendly neighbors, go outside.

--James
pop

Re: On not just being a blowhard... Upper register

Post by pop »

Jason Paul wrote:I'm having a bit of a hard time with the highest notes on some of my whistles - specifically the A and B mostly. It's not always bad, but I'm hit or miss on most of my whistles.

I just got my Hoover Whitecap yesterday and am really noticing this problem with it - my problem, not the Whitecap. To hit those two notes, I really end up just wailing on the whistle and it seems to be three times louder than the other notes. Granted, I've only spent about 10 minutes with the Whitecap at this point.

I know that to successfully hit the high notes, the technique is more about the speed of the airflow - not just about blowing harder. I know it in my head, but I'm inconsistent with the whistles. I understand, but can't get my mouth/tongue/throat to do the right stuff consistently. I have Grey Larsen's book and have read the section on this near the beginning.

I'm still new to whistles and should (will) read that section again, but can any of you offer any more tips on the physical aspect of generating a faster stream of air beyond simply blowing harder?

Thanks,
Jason
Here is what i found it just happens keep practicing dont get stressed it will happen if you practice. your ears are your guide head and fingers seem to get there in the end its the desire thats the key.You have it or you wouldnt be asking and posting.I nearly drove myself nuts on quads in reels,where to breathe,rhythm,learning to read music etc.IT WILL HAPPEN just relax and practice,i have no patience what so ever and expected it too quick,dont worry you will get there just keep playing and listening trial and error you cant beat it.KEEP PRACTICING IT HAPPENS. :D
J.MC