The "Hooo" Sound...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chief Wanganui
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chief Wanganui »

peeplj wrote:I didn't understand about Joannie Madden until I saw her play live.

Now I'm convinced she could play better on a perforated soda straw than I ever will be able to on my $140 Burke.

Joannie is a force of nature, and her playing seems to transcend into realms mere mortals can't reach.

You can buy a whistle like Joannie's, but it's not the whistle that makes her playing sound that way.

--James
Two days ago I heard, on the radio, Itzhak Perlman play "Gone with the Wind" with the Boston Pops Orchestra. Same thing. Force of nature.
It's a wonderful thing. Made me cry.
That Scottish Git.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

peeplj wrote:
You can buy a whistle like Joannie's, but it's not the whistle that makes her playing sound that way.

--James
Too true! I HAVE a whistle like Joannie's, and I'm sure I'll never play that well in a million years! (fun to keep trying, though!).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

decrease in volume = diminuendo or decrescendo
sliding between notes = glissando
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

peeplj wrote:You can buy a whistle like Joannie's, but it's not the whistle that makes her playing sound that way.

--James
I don't think that is completely true. Joannie is certainly a talented player. Mary Bergen and Cathal McConnell, I think, are just as talented, but they sure don't have the same haunting sound. Pure Drop Generation/Clarke sound will never sound like an O'Riordan no matter how talented the player. I'm not arguing that one sound is better than the other (personally I prefer a more trad sound), I'm just making the point that the sounds are different , and to have the Joannie Madden sound, you need a Joannie Madden whistle.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
riverman

Post by riverman »

I am probably confused here, but I imitate Joanie Madden's falling-off sound by letting my breath fall off and UNCOVERING the next lowest tone hole. Am I doing the same thing you're talking about?
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

riverman wrote:I am probably confused here, but I imitate Joanie Madden's falling-off sound by letting my breath fall off and UNCOVERING the next lowest tone hole. Am I doing the same thing you're talking about?
It sounds like you're doing the same thing, just your own variation of it. Judging from the other posts, I think that people have different ways of doing it. I just decrease my breath without changing my fingering. I don't know if there is RIGHT way, or if it is just what works for you.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Cynth

Re: The "Hooo" Sound...

Post by Cynth »

StevieJ wrote:
gwen wrote:How does one end a phrase with the haunting "hooo" sound that kind of drops off into nothing?
You could always try putting your finger down your throat... produces much the same effect for me! :twisted:
I fear this is a very bad sign, but : :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca