No new whistles for me ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

No new whistles for me ...

Post by littlejohngael »

Stupid income tax. I owe this year. :swear:
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

But really this is better because the government wasn't keeping more of your money than it was entitled to without paying interest on it. Your money was in the bank earning interest.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dale
The Landlord

Re: No new whistles for me ...

Post by Dale »

littlejohngael wrote:Stupid income tax. I owe this year. :swear:
Me, too. I always owe the Feds. I usually get a refund from my state taxes that covers about half of what I owe the Feds.

Actually, I don't mind the amount of my taxes nearly as much as I do the complexity of the process.
djm

Post by djm »

Dale wrote:I don't mind the amount of my taxes nearly as much as I do the complexity of the process.
Amen to that. I always get a refund, but the process is so traumatic I figure they still owe me. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

djm wrote:
Dale wrote:I don't mind the amount of my taxes nearly as much as I do the complexity of the process.
Amen to that. I always get a refund, but the process is so traumatic I figure they still owe me. :x

djm
Same here. We went through nine kinds of hell doing our taxes this year, and all because we sold some stock options (and that was WITH TurboTax! I don't think we'd have been able to do it without). I don't know why they have to make it so blasted complicated.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
djm

Post by djm »

Redwolf wrote:I don't know why they have to make it so blasted complicated.
Taxes are complicated to keep accountants employed, just as the law is complicated to keep the lawyers employed. There's a name for self-feeding (serving) loops like this, but I just can't think of it off the top ...

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

djm wrote: There's a name for self-feeding (serving) loops like this, but I just can't think of it off the top ...

djm
quarenteed employment???????? :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Job security.
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I adore my accountant.

It used to take me weeks to do my taxes. Then, the year they made the instructions easier to understand--remember?--I calculated that I owed more in taxes than I'd gotten in income. Clearly, something was wrong.

Tax services all over town refused to do them because I was self-employed. They didn't want to be responsible. I didn't know what to do. After I broke down sobbing getting my hair cut, my hairdresser made an appointment for me with this wonderful, wonderful person who came to my home, went away with several years worth of returns and a large bag of receipts . . . and came back again in a week with my taxes all done and . . . corrections to the previous returns that got refunds! She even made me a lovely Amish doll so I'd feel better.

She's worth every penny. And, she's a business expense! :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Our accountant has never made us a doll, sad to say, but I consider him worth the money anyway.
The trick now is to keep el esposo from doing weird squirrely things with the necessary paperwork over the course of a year (not to mention my own absentminded blunders,) so I've written TAX on a basket hoping that whoever gets to the mail first will remember it.
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

My accountant never made me a doll either, but I married her nonetheless! :D She just informed me this afternoon that a previously missed document has clarified a point on our income tax return that she had questions on. We now owe $210 more than she originally thought. I told her that $210 was a 10-spot short of a Burke Low D. Somehow, she didn't see the humor in that. :lol:

LJ