I'm thinking about breaking into String Instruments.

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

What is the Recorder of the string world? The dumb-as-rocks, easiest beginner instrument? Lute? Mandolin? Harp? =P

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Pekkos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pekkos »

Well, recorder is not an easy instrument, takes long time before one can play decent music on one. I don't understand why it is used as an instrument for children, tinwhistle would be much better.

But if you are looking for an easy instrumentI would suggest Ukulele, guitar or why not fiddle (it's not that difficult). If you really are looking for something difficult, take a sitar.

/Anders
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Tenor banjo and mandolin are easy to play basics on, but difficult to get good at. The same is true of any instrument. Good instruments can be pricey, so I'd try out a couple of different species in a store - even if you don't play yet - just to see what feels comfortable and natural to your size of body and hands.

I have played guitar, bass guitar, tenor banjo and mandolin. I'm currently selling off everything but the mandolin in order to buy a better one, so obviously that's the instrument I find most enjoyable.

Whichever you decide on, seek advice on models/makers. There are few things that do more to hinder a beginner than a bad cheap instrument.

Good luck :)
missy

Post by missy »

mountain dulcimer!

You can play it as "simple" (with a wooden dowel stick, called a noter, only fretting on one string and letting the rest drone) to as complictated (full chords, embellishments, hammers and pulls) as you want.

I can teach a child to play a song in 5 minutes. I can teach an adult in 10 - it takes the first 5 to convince them they CAN play.

Take a look around our site (in my sig line), there's lots of information, MP3s, and a link to a great builder that has a VERY good quality student dulcimer.............
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

What kind of music do you want to play?

Do you want to play melody or accompaniment?

Do you intend to sing to your own accompaniment?
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Good point, Martin.

I really want to play Melody, since I can't sing worth a damn. :)

I was by no means dissing the recorder - it happens to be a favorite of mine (I have a very nice pearwood alto) but was instead referring to its simplicity and its uncanny trait of being prolific, cheap, and decent sounding even AT cheap levels. (Tin whistles aren't prolific. :p)
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Well, given that definition, you DEFINITELY don't want a harp! A decent, playable instrument...one that you can learn and grow with... is NOT cheap (don't even think about buying one of those awful Pakistani harps!). On the other hand, you can start making pretty sounding music on a harp relatively quickly (actually, it's rather hard to make a harp sound truly bad), though, like any instrument, it takes years of practice to really get good at it (she says as she continues to wrestle with the left-hand part of "Scarborough Fair").

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

In regard to if you will play with others . . . what instruments do your friends play? Out of all the instruments you mentioned, the guitar is the most common. I know all kinds of guitar players—acoustic, electric and bass. I didn't really want to play the same kind of instrument as everyone else I know—it helps to like an instrument that adds something new to playing with others. But that's not what interested me in the mandolin.

I got interested in the mandolin because of it's unique sound and how often I hear it in irish and trad tunes. I also like the fact that you can use it well for gospel, bluegrass and more. So if my musical interests change over time, I still have an instrument that I can enjoy for a lifetime. My interest in the mandolin was similar to the whistle. It was an instrument that caught MY attention and a desire grew inside me to try it. And the more I learned about it, I realized that there are enough different styles of mandolins with different tones (just like whistles) to offer many choices.

My advice would be, if you can, do what I did. I borrowed a mandolin from a friend just to make sure it wasn't a passing thing. I played it for over a month, but it didn't take that long for me to realize I could play it and with time could become proficient enough to enjoy playing it. I recently bought a mandolin, but only after trying out different instruments in local stores and doing a little research online. The one thing about mandolins is that you kind find dirt cheap ones made overseas on ebay that aren't worth buying. As Buddhu said, a bad cheap instrument can lead you to the wrong conclusion.

Oh, and I wouldn't pick an instrument based on the "dumb as rocks" comment. I don't have experience playing a stringed instrument ·unless you count 2 weeks of lessons when I was a teenager). You might keep yourself from discovering an instrument you would really enjoy learning. If you're like me, music and the instruments you learn and play is a lifelong endeavor . . . .
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
rh

Post by rh »

autoharp is pretty easy to make music with... the hard part is tuning it...
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I would tend to agree on the mountain dulcimer and fiddle. In both cases, a decent beginner's instrument can be had without breaking the bank, and the fiddle isn't as difficult as many people claim (once you learn how to hold the dratted thing, you're halfway there).
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Stock up on hide glue and clamps first! :o

:lol:

Seriously, guitar. Everything can be played on it, there is ample instruction available, and you can get a fair one cheaply enough to find out if you like it well enough to invest time and real money in later.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
rh

Post by rh »

seriously, you might think about taking up the bass.

you can start with just two notes per key (root-fifth), and if you get even halfway decent at it, everyone will love you -- if you actually get good at it you might be able to quit your day job...

p.s.: stay away from the mandolin. it will ruin your life. :lol:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

rh wrote:seriously, you might think about taking up the bass.

you can start with just two notes per key (root-fifth), and if you get even halfway decent at it, everyone will love you -- if you actually get good at it you might be able to quit your day job...
Not exactly the most portable of string instruments, however.

'Course, come to think of it, harps aren't exactly highly portable either....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
rh

Post by rh »

Redwolf wrote: Not exactly the most portable of string instruments, however.
one reason bass players get so much work... nobody wants to schlep the doghouse to the gig.
missy

Post by missy »

ok - so do like I do - play a bass mountain dulcimer!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com