I Got my Olwell Today!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Charlie, was the HJ of that Boxwood Pratten unlined? I typically hate the balance of flutes made from (relatively) light woods, that also have fully lined HJ's - they tend to be way to head heavy for my liking :( An unlined version, with a Tuning slide, would be just right though.....

Loren
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Looks nice Jordan.

I used to play a bit flat, but I find my self going upwards these days. *I also find some of my Whistles taking more air than my Flute.* The two could be related.

*Just stating an observation in my own playing, not trying to brag.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote:Charlie, was the HJ of that Boxwood Pratten unlined? I typically hate the balance of flutes made from (relatively) light woods, that also have fully lined HJ's - they tend to be way to head heavy for my liking :( An unlined version, with a Tuning slide, would be just right though.....
My Rudall-model Olwell is with slide, unlined. The one I played a couple of weeks ago is all-wood, no slide, no lining.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

All great advice, and I agree most enthusiastically with the "give it time" program. Plus, don't be surprised if you sound worse on your way to sounding better. :-)

Then again, it might not hurt to measure it and make sure Patrick didn't accidentally send you someone else's C.

:lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Loren
seisflutes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by seisflutes »

I'm borrwing a friend's boxwood Olwell Rudall at the moment, and I am so in love! It's all wood too, no slide. It suits me really well. It's just a good match for my style. I've never played a flute that responds like this one does(granted I haven't played a huge number of different flutes). My friend, a piper, never ever even plays this lovely flute. I wish he'd sell it to me. He got it cheap because it has a little knot in the wood that had to be filled in.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

I really think that the issue is your embouchure. Patrick wouldn't send you a flute that is out of tune. It probably just requires a more accurate embouchure than you are used to, so work on it for a while. Many people receive a flute and think it is a problem with the instrument when it is really a result of the fact that they have never been forced to create a good embouchure.

b
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

seisflutes wrote:My friend, a piper, never ever even plays this lovely flute. I wish he'd sell it to me.
Make him an offer he can't refuse. :twisted: