Lark's Ebony Irish Flute reviews?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Romulo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lark's Ebony Irish Flute reviews?

Post by Romulo »

Does anyone have any experience or comments about Lark in the Morning Ebony Irish Flute? I was thinking about buying it and I'd appreciate if I could have some advice.
Thanks
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

My advice would be don't buy it.
Look at Casey Burns or M&E.
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I agree that you shouldn't buy anything from Lark without knowing who made it. They are known for carrying unplayable Pakistani instruments. How do I know? Funny you should ask- I bought a set of "parlor pipes" for Lark and immediately after tried to return them because they were unplayable. The response I got was "well, pipes are very difficult to learn." Unfortunately, my pipe teacher was at the time recovering from bypass surgery & couldn't try them himself. By the time he could pronounce them unplayable, Lark wouldn't take them back. Lesson learned.

That being said, I was visiting San Franciso last year and stopped in at the store there (their catalog is fascinating) and they had a Casey Burns & Sweetheart flutes in the wall case- both of which I like. Is there a chance the flute you are looking at is one of theirs? Before buying an unknown maker's flute from Lark, I'd see what local makers & other C&F'ers have available in your price range.
djm

Post by djm »

There's a very good reason why they're known as "Shark in the Morning". You must know exactly what they are selling and the quality of it before purchasing (flutes, pipes ... anything, really). The better the quality, the less of a deal they are to buy from. Caveat emptor.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
bigpalooka

Post by bigpalooka »

I bought one maybe 15 years ago. It played wildly out of tune (it wasn't just me as a beginner - my teacher used to laugh when I unpacked it for my lessons) and the fully-lined head joint cracked in a couple of months. Lark asked me if I oiled it regularly. It was varnished and lined - there wasn't much in the head to oil.
I bought a fairly good quality baroque flute (Moeck) from them at that point and found the price was a bit higher than what I could have found elsewhere.
Shop around - you could do better than Lark - but their catalog is great for browsing.
frchristo

Re: Lark's Ebony Irish Flute reviews?

Post by frchristo »

Romulo wrote:Does anyone have any experience or comments about Lark in the Morning Ebony Irish Flute? I was thinking about buying it and I'd appreciate if I could have some advice.
Thanks
I stopped by Lark in Seattle a few weeks back and while I was there I tried a LITM brand 4 key for the fun of it. It was terrible. I spent a good deal of time with it, as I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to get a decent sound out of it. At first, I thought there was a leak, but, upon closer examination, the pads all appeared to be sealing well. I tried blowing a C# while applying pressure to a few keys to strengthen the seal. All I could get was a terribly stuffy and lifeless sound.

To make matters worse, the store clerk was completely clueless about wooden flutes.

My advice is: If the price seems like a steal, it probably is...for the seller. And, buy directly from a reputable maker and not a store. This baord is filled with excellent flute makers who offers good quality flutes in a variety of models and prices. Don't waste your money.

Christopher

Disclaimer:
I've played silver flute and other woodwinds for over 20 years, and I've been playing a wooden simple flute daily for a little more than 2yrs.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, buy from a known maker who backs up his
work. There may be good things at Lark, but
it's risky buying there.

P. S., Three years and change.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Last time I was in the Seattle store, the dude at the counter would have failed 1st year ethnomusicology. I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
David Johnson

Post by David Johnson »

I've played one of the Lark Pakistani-made blackwood flutes ($299 at the time) for about 8 years, and thought it sounded pretty good. Just a week or so ago, I took the plunge and bought the used Burns blackwood flute Jonathan Milton was selling through this forum.

The immediate improvement in tone and response, and the ease of fingering, were surprising--gave me a rush. So, I figured I'd just keep the Lark flute at the office for casual practice. But after playing the Burns flute for a week, when I picked up the Lark flute for a little practice, the sound was airy, colorless, with no punch. So, I've got another used Burns folk flute on the way for use at the office. With as many good options out there for about the same price or a bit more, I encourage you not to waste time and money on a poor alternative.

BTW, if you're not discouraged from trying the Lark flutes, I'll sell mine (very good condition, no specific issues, but don't expect it to play like a $1,000 or even a $500 flute.) Original price $299, current price is $350, will sell for $150 + shipping. Send me a PM if interested.
Romulo

Thanks

Post by Romulo »

I'd just like to thank everyone for your help. It was the first time I posted here and I got surprised how promptly I could get some info that was certainly useful to make a decision.
Thanks for your time.