Transmission --manual or automatic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:
lixnaw wrote:
And a message to you sports freaks, my Opel/Gm exellerates faster than
most manuals...
You willing to place a wager on that? :twisted:
<I would if i could!, But you're living nowhere near to me. I exellerate every now and again, just to keep the exhaust clean, not to f*cken show off. and i'm usually faster than most with my Opel Astra.
I bet alot on english rugby league.

But i admit, if i become of age later on, a fast car's important to knock the women over that you can't get :lol:
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

lixnaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
lixnaw wrote:
And a message to you sports freaks, my Opel/Gm exellerates faster than
most manuals...
You willing to place a wager on that? :twisted:
<I would if i could!, But you're living nowhere near to me. I exellerate every now and again, just to keep the exhaust clean, not to f*cken show off. and i'm usually faster than most with my Opel Astra.
Well, lets see...
I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt here, and we'll say that your Astra is brand new with the 200hp turbo engine...
The Astra's curb weight is 2875 pounds...
My latest Mini project (built as a gift for some rich dude's kid, not my personal one. making abundle from it though) has a 260hp turbo 1.6L VTEC engine (manual tranny, dynoed at the wheels)...
my Mini weighed in at 1070 pounds (sans driver)....
Not to toot my horn or show off or anything, but I'd spank ya buddy. :D Don't feel too bad; the second day on the road I showed my father and his BOSS 429 my tailights.
I'll be sad to see this one go. :cry: oh well...I've got my own project to be worrying about.
performance mechanic's advice: wanna go fast? don't do it in a GM... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:
lixnaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: You willing to place a wager on that? :twisted:
Well, lets see...
I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt here, and we'll say that your Astra is brand new with the 200hp turbo engine...
My latest Mini project (built as a gift for some rich dude's kid, not my personal one. making abundle from it though) has a 260hp turbo 1.6L VTEC engine (manual tranny, dynoed at the wheels)...
Not to toot my horn or show off or anything, but I'd spank ya buddy. :D Don't feel too bad; the second day on the road I showed my father and his BOSS 429 my tailights.
I'll be sad to see this one go. :cry: oh well...I've got my own project to be worrying about.
maybe you're faster, but what i look for in a car is that it's reliable, cheap on diesel, and i also want plenty mileage out of it.
and drive carefull, there's plenty loons about...

Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

lixnaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
lixnaw wrote:<I would if i could!, But you're living nowhere near to me. I exellerate every now and again, just to keep the exhaust clean, not to f*cken show off. and i'm usually faster than most with my Opel Astra.
Well, lets see...
maybe you're faster, but what i look for in a car is that it's reliable, cheap on diesel, and i also want plenty mileage out of it.
But if you wanted reliable, why did you go for a GM? :P (jus' kiddin')
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

It was a bargain.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Tyler Morris wrote: My latest Mini project (built as a gift for some rich dude's kid, not my personal one. making abundle from it though) has a 260hp turbo 1.6L VTEC engine (manual tranny, dynoed at the wheels)...
Not to toot my horn or show off or anything, but I'd spank ya buddy.
To be fair, he did say "most manuals"..I don't think yours qualifies as "average" :)

I'm pretty sure he could leave my manual 103hp Chevy Aveo spitting dust ;)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: My latest Mini project (built as a gift for some rich dude's kid, not my personal one. making abundle from it though) has a 260hp turbo 1.6L VTEC engine (manual tranny, dynoed at the wheels)...
Not to toot my horn or show off or anything, but I'd spank ya buddy.
To be fair, he did say "most manuals"..I don't think yours qualifies as "average" :)

I'm pretty sure he could leave my manual 103hp Chevy Aveo spitting dust ;)
depending on what model he has; auto trannys can rob between 5-15% of an engines power.
If he has the 1.6L he's only running 105hp. by running an auto tranny he's losing anywhere from 5.5 to 15.75 horsepower, not to mention losing about 15ftlbs of torque...
you could, from a theoretical standpoint, beat him easily.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

It's a 2.0 L diesel.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Tyler Morris wrote: you could, from a theoretical standpoint, beat him easily.
have you ever driven a chevy aveo? :lol:

I have "get up and go" in first gear...things go downhill from there.. Many cars reach 0-100kph in 5-8 seconds. Mine takes 13 ;)
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Manual for me. Always have always will have. Currently I am without a vehicle and am forced to use my wife's pickup from time to time... honestly, I don't see how she can stand the simplicity! :lol:
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

It's always an automatic for me. I had a lot of problems with tendonitis and carpal tunnel, which I'm always afraid could come back. They make my right hand virtually useless, which means I can't drive a manual when that happens. Just not good. With an automatic, I can reach over with my left hand and put it in drive, reverse, and park. But I wouldn't be able to lean over in such way while driving.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

emmline wrote:3. Manuals are not as readily available in cars such as Subarus.
This surprises me. I recently bought a new Subaru Forester, and manual transmission is standard on that model; they charge extra for the automatic.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Henke

Post by Henke »

lixnaw, your car being faster has nothing to do with the automatic transmission (well, maybe if my granny sat in the manual car).
If I had an identic car with manual transmission and were to race you with your automatic transmission, I would beat you soooo bad ;) (No kidding acctually)

I think it just boils down to what you want from a car. If you're a lazy old bugger who would rather sit in front of your tevo then be out driving, then get an automatic.
If you enjoy driving and you like being in control of things, and you don't want to be a sissy, and you don't want to be an old bugger, get a manual :)

Cheers
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

jsluder wrote:
emmline wrote:3. Manuals are not as readily available in cars such as Subarus.
This surprises me. I recently bought a new Subaru Forester, and manual transmission is standard on that model; they charge extra for the automatic.
I can see how, from personal experience, even if a manual transmission is standard, it might be hard to get one.

My wife recently got a kia rio cinco. The manual transmission is standard in that model too. They charge extra for automatic. But they didn't have any manuals on the lot,. All of the cars they had on the lot had automatic transmission. She wanted a manual..but she didn't want to wait for a factory-ordered car, so she paid for the automatic.

If you want a chicken wing, but all they're selling is legs, you can do without, go somewhere else, or eat a leg. She ate the leg ;)
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Centifugal Clutch! Gimme a SkiDoo any day....

Seriously, though, automatics are less hassle in heavy traffic, manuals are more fun. Until you get to 18 speed split shifts with dubious clutches and a full load of water.

My other vehicle is a fire department tanker.

Most of the dept.'s trucks are now Allison automatics, and we generally love them. No more double-clutching in a truck you only drive once a week, and way less funky burning smells when you're out of practice.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.