Professor Predicts Human Time Travel

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Professor Predicts Human Time Travel

Post by jsluder »

Professor Predicts Human Time Travel This Century
Ronald Mallett, Professor at the University of Connecticut, has used Einstein’s equations to design a time machine with circulating laser beams. While his team is still looking for funding, he hopes to build and test the device in the next 10 years.
He gets around time travel's "Grandfather Paradox" by also advocating the "Parallel Universes" theory (i.e., if you go back in time and kill your own grandfather, it creates another universe).

I figure a Time Lord will sneak in and destroy Mallett's equipment just before it's ready for testing. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I'm in the late stages of working on a time machine. It's a modified 2003 Toyota Echo. In a recent test run, I went back in time 0.003 seconds. It wasn't that interesting and when I caught back up in time I was really drowsy. And hungry. The modified Echo gets about 39 miles per gallon on the freeway, 24 mpg or so in town, and 2 mpg in time-travel mode. It's not worth it.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Dale wrote:... and 2 mpg in time-travel mode.
Minutes per gallon or milliseconds per gallon?
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I've always thought that the idea of time travel is pretty cool. But there's the classic argument that we won't ever be able to do it; if we at some point in the future discover time travel, wouldn't we automatically know about it now? We would have met people from the future already.

Maybe there are people from the future walking around here without us knowing it. What if they are here to create a Parallel Universe where they can rule? :boggle: Sort of like time traveling pilgrims.
Ah, I see a sweet new conspiracy theory coming.
djm

Post by djm »

No matter when you go, then you were! :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:No matter when you go, then you were! :boggle:
Heh. With the "Parallel Universes" theory, it's easy enough to postulate that time travel has already been invented in some (perhaps future) universe and this universe we perceive only exists because some schmuck went back in time and shot his own grandpa.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Time travel, I dunno. I'd give my eyeteeth to be protean, though. Besides, I could grow them back, then. :D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

To check for time travel within your lifetime.

Write a letter to yourself as a note to make an appoint with yourself at a certain time - if time travel will exist you'll keep the appointment, if you don't keep the appointment with yourself then it won't happen in your lifetime.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

What if you're just bad at keeping appointments? :lol:

Oh noes! Foolish mortals are going to destroy the Web of Time. Guess the Doctor had better show up and save us from our folly. :wink:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
emmline

Post by emmline »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:To check for time travel within your lifetime.

Write a letter to yourself as a note to make an appoint with yourself at a certain time - if time travel will exist you'll keep the appointment, if you don't keep the appointment with yourself then it won't happen in your lifetime.
I'm trying to clarify:
1. I write a letter, to me, that says "meet me at Garry's Grill at 8:30am on December 1, 2021" (my 60th birthday.)

2. I mail it? Or what?

3. Is that it? (other than showing up at Garry's Grill.)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Henke wrote:I've always thought that the idea of time travel is pretty cool. But there's the classic argument that we won't ever be able to do it; if we at some point in the future discover time travel, wouldn't we automatically know about it now? We would have met people from the future already.

Maybe there are people from the future walking around here without us knowing it. What if they are here to create a Parallel Universe where they can rule? :boggle: Sort of like time traveling pilgrims.
Ah, I see a sweet new conspiracy theory coming.
If they have anything like a Temporal Prime Directive, we'd never have a clue they were here. IF they DID go back in time to alter the past, our timeline could possibly be altered around us without us even being aware.
Also, it may just be that the alternate dimention theory of time travel is even more complex if the theory is considered from the standpoint of a new dimention being created with every decision and the results of said decision being played out in THAT reality....
i have a headache... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I do it every day, no big deal and I get paid to do it, I can't travel into the future and I am limited only to one hundred and forty years into the past.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I travel forward through time every day! HA!
SO THERE!! HA! :P

I am, however, limited to travelling sixty standard minuets per standard hour....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Dale wrote:The modified Echo gets about 39 miles per gallon on the freeway, 24 mpg or so in town, and 2 mpg in time-travel mode. It's not worth it.
Two words: Mr. Fusion.

And, an Echo? C'mon man! Like Doc Brown said, "If you're going to
build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:
Dale wrote:The modified Echo gets about 39 miles per gallon on the freeway, 24 mpg or so in town, and 2 mpg in time-travel mode. It's not worth it.
Two words: Mr. Fusion.

And, an Echo? C'mon man! Like Doc Brown said, "If you're going to
build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"
Yeah, come on Dale, even this dude has a Mr. Fusion! :P